Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:56 PM
Box and Sprue Shots:
Started by spraying all the wood bit's with Tamiya Buff paint, followed by a coat of Klear
While that was drying, I got out my punch set and some thin plasticard, and used it to make some bezels for the instruments.
Then drag some Burnt umber oil paint over the wooden surfaces with a stubbly brush, gradually removing paint and giving a wood grain effect (that's the theory anyway)
Then start assembling the cockpit, first the cockpit floor, rudder pedals and compass, complete with klear for the compass dial
Then the Starboard sidewall - oil pressure gauge, fuel pump and switches
Finally the main instrument panel
Then with the cockpit complete....
On with the engine - nice and simple, just painted Aluminium, Gunmetal and brass, and given a coat of Tensocrom Oil.
Buttoned up the fuselage
And finally for the day, fitted the lower wing, and put some Mr Surfacer 1000 over the fuselage seams and the joint with the lower wing. Nothing too bad, but then again, nothing that won't benefit from a cleanup either..
Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:11 PM
First the prop which was painted yesterday, but now has a coat of klear
The the preparation for the rigging later - adding the buckles. First what you will need, a pin vice with a 0.4mm drill and the model. Oh and some buckles - for this one i'm using my own but normally use Bobs Buckles.
You then drill holes where the buckles will be
Then the buckles - you need tweezers, the buckles, some image magnification and gel super glue.
Then you pick up the buckle with the tweezers, dip the end in the CA, and place in the hole
Repeat a few times -
At which point I ran out of buckles - fear not intrepid watchers, I made some more. To make your own you need a 0.4mm drill bit, 0.2mm copper wire, and some lockwire pliers
Mount the drill bit in a vice, drill point down
Bent the wire around the drill, grab with the pliers and spin gently - hey presto a buckle
Finished adding the buckles
masked the Cockpit and engine
Fitted the tail surfaces
Sprayed the underside of the wings silver and the rear white
Then sprayed the Red
Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:06 PM
Today's work on the Pfalz:
Masked off the radiator on top wing
Then used my Dremel to thin a Cocktail stick to make cocking handles for the MG's
Drilled out the barrel, and added some holes, then painted gunmetal, and given a black oil wash. Also painted a length of Jammydog tape with canvas model color, to make ammo belts.
Sprayed the radiator Brass and unmasked
Weathered and darkened some parts with an oil wash
Then fitted the MG's and ammo belts, and painted the leather padding around the cockpit
Fitted the wings
Ready for the rigging now - the prerequisites - Rigging Elastic, CA Kicker, CA, Tweezers, Magnifier and cocktail sticks for applying the glue
First attach the rigging elastic to one buckle
Then pull through the other buckle and tension the elastic
Giving a nice tight line like this
Repeat a few times and you have a rigged biplane
Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:09 PM
Fitted the exhaust and a pipe for the radiator, made out of copper wire
Finally added the control horns, and the last bit's of rigging - all ready for decals tomorrow.
Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:30 PM
Yes, makes this a lot easier to get tension in the wires
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users