Resin

SHAR67

Hi all

I have the Italeri 1/48 Tornado IDS and the Airfix Tornado F3,the nose cone from the Airfix F3 is a little large for the IDS fuselage as a nose match.So when i measured the two up the Italeri nose fits inside the Airfix one so i was thinking of using the Airfix nose as a mould,but what resin and where would i get it from so as i could complete the task.

Cheers Clive.

I use Alec Tiranti, but I'm told they're not the cheapest. A set of bits & bobs to do the job will probably cost you around £50-60, including syringes, measuring jugs, spatulas, resin, RTV, and you'll need some lego-bricks to create the mould box too.

I've posted up a thread in the tools & tips forum that goes through some of the basics for us DIYers, so have a peruse of that, and if you've got any questions, post them there ;)

Final word for the moment, is it's expensive & messy, but a VERY useful facility to havem especially if you're into scratch-building, as you can stage your work, creating a new resin master each time you make a big change, so if you stuff it up, all is not lost :)

I've bought casting stuff from Sylmasta at IPMS Scalemodelworld & always found them helpful, & their products good. They sell on-line;

http://www.sylmasta.com/

but because the stuff is so heavy, postage is quite expensive - hence I'm waiting till November to restock my supplies!

I was also given a link from someone on another forum to a model railway (I think!) supplier, who stocks the American alumulite stuff (which I believe is very well respected over that side of the Pond);

http://www.nigellawton009.com/PayPalCasting.html

You could also try searching on e-bay for resin casting supplies - there's a couple of suppliers on there, but again postage is expensive.

HTH

Keith