Airfix Starter Sets GB

Paul Brickles

Hi all

Having been asked to build some starter kits with some local Scouts again (they actually have a modelling badge!!!)

To make my life easier in instruction I opted for one of the Airfix Starter sets whih of course has the glue/ paints and of course kit included in one box, with this in mind I took it on myself to build the kits I will expect the scouts to build prior subjecting them to it - this as they will build it, - no airbrushes, no filler no sanding :analintruder: just as we would have built them many a year ago -the only addiotn they will get will be an model knife and cutting board.

Now I propose a Airfix Starter Set GB built stright out of the box only with what is provided!!! No AM kits, no resin sets , no AM Decals !!!!

So who is up for it, and only honest modellers need apply :winkgrin:

Paul

Interesting idea, but those starter sets are a bit pricey for the added crap that comes with them! Are you suggesting no filler and sanding?,,, why not build them blindfolded too ( just kidding)?

I could build an Airfix kit oob so Im in if we can use sanding sticks and our own paints :)

Hi Deon,

I know what your saying about the prices, but then again a typical Airfix set is not much more expensive than the individual kit you can pick up.

What I would love to see is how modellers (be it beginners to experts) can handle a typical Airfix starter set OOB with the paints and glue included - and yes that means no sanding sticks or fillers!! Just what comes in the box plus a craft knife - its all about getting back to the roots of model building which is sadly missing to a degree with some of the builds that go on.

Paul

Hi all

Having been asked to build some starter kits with some local Scouts again (they actually have a modelling badge!!!)

To make my life easier in instruction I opted for one of the Airfix Starter sets whih of course has the glue/ paints and of course kit included in one box, with this in mind I took it on myself to build the kits I will expect the scouts to build prior subjecting them to it - this as they will build it, - no airbrushes, no filler no sanding :analintruder: just as we would have built them many a year ago -the only addiotn they will get will be an model knife and cutting board.

Now I propose a Airfix Starter Set GB built stright out of the box only with what is provided!!! No AM kits, no resin sets , no AM Decals !!!!

So who is up for it, and only honest modellers need apply :winkgrin:

Paul

I'd be up for that! The Mossie is currently doing my head in, so a simple job that only allowed use of a craft knife (no sneaky sanding, drilling, dremelling, etc) really appeals. What about the paint job? I can't remember if you get a paint brush as well as the paint. Presumably no airbrushes, though!

I've never done a group build before. Presumably, if I wander off to that part of the BM site I'll get the rules of engagement?

And will we plump for a particular kit? I distinctly remember seeing a 1/24 Sea Harrier kit complete with paints once, but that sounds a bit heavy duty to me!

Mike

Mike

Thats the spirit :D

You do get brushes in the sets which of course can be used - and yes no AB!!

Kit wise it will be upto the individual - I have built both the Spitfire Mk1 and have just finished the P51 D Mustang - what I have to do is build, paint and decal in under 4 hours given the time I have with the group - but the time you take is up to you.

Paul

That sounds like fun... although I'm not sure my sanding sticks would forgive me for not sanding the seams. Maybe permit sanding, but no filler?

No Mike will have to be strict on this - no sanding, dont forget you have a knife you can work with ;) , I want to create an even playing field for us all to work to (but not a sanded one!).

Oh and it also means only using the glue provided so no plastic weld etc lol

Cripes... adzing will be the way to go then - can we use straight (#11) or inverse curved (#12) blades, or will it be limited to a #10? Tube glue??? I've not used that since I was about 12! :lol:

Cripes... adzing will be the way to go then - can we use straight (#11) or inverse curved (#12) blades, or will it be limited to a #10? Tube glue??? I've not used that since I was about 12! :lol:

Blades that can be used - trimaway disposable knife or if you must 10A Swann blade.

Glue as provided in starter kit ie Poly cement :analintruder: those fumes dont half bring back the memories.

Every show my son goes to he likes to do the Airfix Make and Take. They give you a kit (sometimes boxed, sometimes not), some paints, some limp brushes and polystyrene cement and off you go. Sometimes they provide sanding sticks, but usually not and the nearest thing to a craft knife is a pair of office scissors. Usually it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to build a kit (but the landing craft at the Nats was more like 2 hours) and is a lot of fun if you don't worry too much about getting a perfect result. Sometimes if you reduce the choices you have then the enjoyment can be greater as you remove a lot of stress.

I think if this was done as a GB it should be for a very short time period, with possibly each build being done in one "sitting".

Every show my son goes to he likes to do the Airfix Make and Take. They give you a kit (sometimes boxed, sometimes not), some paints, some limp brushes and polystyrene cement and off you go. Sometimes they provide sanding sticks, but usually not and the nearest thing to a craft knife is a pair of office scissors. Usually it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to build a kit (but the landing craft at the Nats was more like 2 hours) and is a lot of fun if you don't worry too much about getting a perfect result. Sometimes if you reduce the choices you have then the enjoyment can be greater as you remove a lot of stress.

I think if this was done as a GB it should be for a very short time period, with possibly each build being done in one "sitting".

Thats the idea David - getting back to simple basics - I would also like to think we could dedicate an area on the BM table at Cosford for the finished builds!! even a little competition with a suitable prize donated by yours truly.

Time scales could be restricted, Like I say I have 4 hours to build and finish so I have no issues putting that time limit on the GB if everyone is ok with this.

Paul

Edited by Paul Brickles

You're a hard taskmaster Mr Brickles! :whip: Will we be allowed to paint the cockpits or pilots? Canopy framing? :S

I have 2 Airfix brushes that I use to decant & mix small quantities of paint... they're pretty tough :)

Sounds like an amusing idea. I'd probably join in but you'd need to state exactly what tools can be used. Blue tak? Tape? coctail sticks? cotton swabs? tweezers?

We ran a Starter Kit GB on the Airfix Tribute Forum last year, a lot of people enjoyed it - really back to basics as if you were 12 years old again. Amazing the results you could actually achieve with just the basics.

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/forum265.php

Best

Rich

Edited by Richard M

I think this is a fantastic idea and it has my vote.

Might need to be a bit earlier music for Mike :rofl: It will need to be 60's for me :clif:

Me to Mish, I've a couple of CD's of Dreamboats and Petticoats, really showing my age now!!!!!!! :violin::pipe::clif: