Airfix 1/72 Handley Page O/400

Dereknf

If the decals are yellowed, blu-tack the decals facing out onto a sunny window, can take up to a few weeks, but it works. I had a 20 year-old set of Formaplane Be2 decals that were sunny in colour, left them for 3 weeks, came up a treat.

Some progress to report.

Outer wings - painted, decaled and rigged. The build sequence is well thought out, allowing the rigging to be passed through holes in the top or bottom surfaces before full assembly.

HPO400build_1.jpg

HPO400build_2.jpg

Fuselage assembly - much of this is hidden but is needed for structural rigidity.

HPO400build_4.jpg

Good fun ..... so far

Can we have a close up shot or two of the fuselage guts? I'm interested in the level of detailing...

Certainly.

HPO400build_3.jpg

I'm not quite finished with it yet but it'll give you an idea I hope.

That looks great Derek.

What did you use for the rigging?

Deacon

I used Lycra thread that I got from Aeroclub. Works well with a blob of superglue to hold it in place.

Thanks matey. So, does it come ready to rig?

I'll post up some other interior pics when I get it done.

The wings have pre-drilled holes and a rigging plan. The inter-plane rigging can be done with one continuous length (it would have been if I hadn't cut it too short). There is nothing at the tail or any of the control wires. The tail rigging is very complex so I may just do a partial job on it.

This is one kit where following the instructions is essential!

When you consider that these came out 30+ years ago they were cutting edge. I have one from those days, a bit battered but complete so I should look at resurrecting it after seeing this sort of inspiration.

Steve

When you consider that these came out 30+ years ago they were cutting edge. I have one from those days, a bit battered but complete so I should look at resurrecting it after seeing this sort of inspiration.

Steve

Fond memories of this kit as my Christmas "big Airfix kit" when it first came out.

That period was, IMHO, Airfix at its confident best. Imaginative and courageous choice of subject (I'd never heard of the O/400 before the kit), ingeniously designed (eg the rigging scheme), well fitting parts (all those neatly bevelled fuselage corners), well detailed inside and out, good markings choices, great box-art. Interior detail especially impressive: at the time I think it had more interior detail than any kit I'd ever seen and most of it can't be seen once the kit's assembled.

I did hear vague rumblings about its not being completely accurate but, if Airfix ever get back up to the standards set by this kit not least in the sharpness of the mouldings, they'll be motoring.

Nick

A bit more progress to report.

The engine assemblies - I'm going to leave the other struts off until I'm sure they angled correctly.

O400build5.jpg

The complicated main gear assemblies.

O400build6.jpg

The fuselage mostly complete.

O400build7.jpg

The lower inner wings fitted with rigging installed. The engines and gear are mounted on this inner section.

O400build8.jpg

Fuselage ready to paint now after I've fitted the tail. There is no rigging plan for the tail in the kit but I've got the Windsock data files to give me a clue.

The fit of parts in general is very good. Fortunately I've got a set of the newer instructions which are a bit easier to follow than the old 1960s ones.

What's the overall colour your're using if you don't mind me asking?

I'm using Humbrol acrylic 163 Dark green. I have no idea if it is accurate but it looks OK to me. A bit glossy maybe.