Hunter Tailpipes/cones

Gene K

Thanks Edgar,

Now if someone can measure an F1/F4 that will complete the set. (Must get to Dumfries one day).

I'd be surprised if it varied that much from...."195.5", 53.25", 41.5" (T.7) 195.25", 53.5", 41.25" (T.8)".

However as Edgar points out..they were "hand-built", so we shall see...

I hope to get my hands on a GA11 one day soon........

i recall noting that the sole T.12 and the company demonstrator T.66 G-APUX had the uprated Avon as fited to the FGA.9 and corresponding rear fuselage with brake chute fairing (the 'in service T.12 is referred to as the 'T.66' in PRO. files presumably to delinate the uprated engine specification on the 2 seat company demonstrator?)

cherrs, Joe

:badmood: Talk about livid; there's a Hunter F.6 at Halton, which is a gate guardian. I could walk across to it, take 5 minutes, with a tape measure, and be gone. A platoon (flight, Squadron, whatever) could watch me, with loaded rifles, and I'd be visible from a main road, but my request, for permission, has been met with total silence. :fuhrer: Maybe they're making plans to go to their parents' weddings. :mg: Can we have a "BAS----S" icon, please?

Edgar

• 4 weeks later...

"If, at first, you don't succeed, try something else." Thanks to "Wrecks & Relics," I found an F.6, near to a friend's house. He's been to measure it, and the sizes (in the usual order) are 196", 54", and 42.25". Rather kicks the idea, of a shorter F.6 fuselage, into touch, I think.

Now, there's another oddity; at Salisbury, Model Alliance had Hunter items, and included a plug, for the Hunter G.A.11 fuselage, because there are, apparently, R.N. drawings showing an elongated fuselage. I have my own theory, about this, but it would be helpful if someone could get at one, or two, with a tape measure. There are examples at Predannack, Eaglescott Aerodrome, Exeter, Moreton-in-Marsh, Culham (I might be able to get to that,) Ford (stuck on a tall plinth; might be inaccessible,) Shoreham Airport (Northbrook College,) Coventry, Long Marston. Any chance that someone, on here, could help?

Edgar

"If, at first, you don't succeed, try something else." Thanks to "Wrecks & Relics," I found an F.6, near to a friend's house. He's been to measure it, and the sizes (in the usual order) are 196", 54", and 42.25". Rather kicks the idea, of a shorter F.6 fuselage, into touch, I think.

Now, there's another oddity; at Salisbury, Model Alliance had Hunter items, and included a plug, for the Hunter G.A.11 fuselage, because there are, apparently, R.N. drawings showing an elongated fuselage. I have my own theory, about this, but it would be helpful if someone could get at one, or two, with a tape measure. There are examples at Predannack, Eaglescott Aerodrome, Exeter, Moreton-in-Marsh, Culham (I might be able to get to that,) Ford (stuck on a tall plinth; might be inaccessible,) Shoreham Airport (Northbrook College,) Coventry, Long Marston. Any chance that someone, on here, could help?

Edgar

Well Done Edgar! Its good to know we can finally dispell that theory!

I have the GA11 fuselage plug, and AFAIK its not to lengthen the fuselage -certainly not on the Revell F6 (it could well be required on the Airfix FGA9 - but thats yet another story!) but to place the NACA ducts/grills and vents in the correct "Avon 100" position. EDIT: Looking at the photo - you can see that the rear wing root is identical in length to the part removed...So that SHOULD mean they are the same length.....

100_4720.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark

• 1 month later...
I know I've said it before, but looking at pictures of earlier F6's (particularly those of the Black Arrows - with straight wings) and those of 19 Sqn, and comparing them with later F6's throws a sackful of spanners in the works....

Gods speed Ed!!!!!!

If I recall correctly I measured the fuselage orifice diameter on a Mk4 and a Mk.6 and found that the 4 was 21" dia and the 6, was 23"dia. The external length of the rear end is the same (sans nib fairing), except for the F.3

Now this is not the tailpipe dia as this was missing in both cases. Unfortunately I can't put my hands on anything else at this time as we are packing up a lot of the house prior to a possible move. As the power output of an engine grows so does the jetpipe dia in most cases.

John

Edited by John Aero

• 2 weeks later...
If I recall correctly I measured the fuselage orifice diameter on a Mk4 and a Mk.6 and found that the 4 was 21" dia and the 6, was 23"dia. The external length of the rear end is the same (sans nib fairing), except for the F.3

Hi John,

I registered just to say Thank You for this info; I have been looking for this in print for a while. I will do an F.4 conversion on the 1/32 Hunter and this info (luckily) confirmed the drawings I am using. The difference isn't really noticeable .... except when you have the F.6 to compare it to.

Gary

jetpipes.jpg

Hey Bill, I noticed you've mentioned the MA conversion a couple of times.

I wanna build some 2 seaters using the Revell kit. I've had a little hunt around and can't seem to find this MA GA.11 conversion kit anywhere.

Where'd you get them from or can you get hold of 'em?.

Hey Bill, I noticed you've mentioned the MA conversion a couple of times.

I wanna build some 2 seaters using the Revell kit. I've had a little hunt around and can't seem to find this MA GA.11 conversion kit anywhere.

Where'd you get them from or can you get hold of 'em?.

Model Alliance issued them. If you want a set I'll see if they're still available, and get you a set in?

Cheers

Bill