1/48 Hasegawa F-4G Wild Weasel

Rich F

Very nice build, I thought you would like to see a couple of my pictures of the F-4G I built

Richard

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4862.jpg

IMG_4874.jpg

Edited by Ripaman

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement chaps, nice weasel you got there Richard :thumbsup: hope my turns out as good as yours.

Hi Zipper, one of the first things i did was cut away the plastic for the Aires exhaust just incase i forgot later, thanks anyway!

Small update, finally got round to the painting at last, just before primed it i noticed something i missed, the small 'V' shaped thingy behind the arrestor hook, so i quickly knocked one up with a bit of plastic strip, incidently does any of the resident phantom phanatics know what it is for?

WeaselBuild031.jpg

Next up a coat of primer, which i used Mr Surfacer 1000 thinned with some Mr color thinner and shot through my trusty Badger 150. If you thin it just right this stuff gives a lovely smooth finish without the cobwebs!

WeaselBuild033.jpg

WeaselBuild032.jpg

Once this had dried, i gave it 24hrs then got the paint out. I'm trying out Acrylics after years of enamels i thought I'd give them a bash. First off was a coat of Gunze Sangyo's FS 36270 Neutral Gray, I mean grey :whistle: This was touch dry in about 30 seconds and a nice smooth finish too. Looks like I'm a convert.

After giving that a couple of hours to harden I lightened the neutral grey with Tamiya's white X-2 i did about a 50/50 mix, i then filled in the centre of each panel with this mix, this is way too light but i have a cunning plan :wicked:

WeaselBuild040.jpg

Here you can see the patchwork effect which i think is too stark and totally unrealistic. So my intention is to give it a panel wash with Promedellers dark wash then Airbrush a 70/30 mix of Neutral Grey and White to 'calm' it down a bit and blend it.

I'll let you know how it turns out...

Cheers

Rich

Quick update, managed to get the dark wash on last night.

WeaselBuild042.jpg

WeaselBuild041.jpg

Then this morning, on went the well thinned coat of 70/30 Neutral Grey/White just to tone it down a bit. Looking at pictures of these birds they look like there kept in a good condition so I did'nt want it to look too shabby.

WeaselBuild043.jpg

You cannot tell from my dodgy pics but there is still a bit of tonal variation after the final coat, honest :whistle:

Next up is the Gunship Grey.

Thanks for looking.

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

Wow this is one of the best Phantom builds ive ever seen

Russ

Thanks Guys,

Well got the Gunship Grey on, I used the same method as with the Neutral Grey. Firstly I gave it a coat of GS Gunship grey with a few drops of intermediate blue just to give the colour that blueish tinge you often see on Hill Grey Rhino's.

Next up was a a bit of post shading using the same mix but this time lightened about 30% with Tamiya white. Here is a couple of shots of the wing in the process to illustrate what i mean...

WeaselBuild044.jpg

WeaselBuild045.jpg

Once this was completed, I gave the Gunship grey a thinned down darker mix just to blend the whole thing and feathered the edges at the tail and intakes.

Then on went a coat of Klear to seal the whole model and onto the decalling.

WeaselBuild046.jpg

WeaselBuild047.jpg

WeaselBuild048.jpg

WeaselBuild049.jpg

WeaselBuild050.jpg

The rudder isn't fixed in place yet!

WeaselBuild051.jpg

Thats it for now, i had a bit of a nightmare with the walkways (notice there missing apart from the wings), they just disintegrated :confused: so I'm going to spray these on, i think EDSG is a good match.

I will get this finished for the deadline, honest :frantic:

Rich

Edited by Rich F

Thanks Guys,

Well got the Gunship Grey on, I used the same method as with the Neutral Grey. Firstly I gave it a coat of GS Gunship grey with a few drops of intermediate blue just to give the colour that blueish tinge you often see on Hill Grey Rhino's.

Next up was a a bit of post shading using the same mix but this time lightened about 30% with Tamiya white. Here is a couple of shots of the wing in the process to illustrate what i mean...

Once this was completed, I gave the Gunship grey a thinned down darker mix just to blend the whole thing and feathered the edges at the tail and intakes.

Then on went a coat of Klear to seal the whole model and onto the decalling.

WeaselBuild050.jpg

The rudder isn't fixed in place yet!

Thats it for now, i had a bit of a nightmare with the walkways (notice there missing apart from the wings), they just disintegrated :confused: so I'm going to spray these on, i think EDSG is a good match.

I will get this finished for the deadline, honest :frantic:

Rich

Nice looking Weasel you have there! I hate to tell you this, though, but the "AF 69" should always be to the left of the last three of the serial - on both sides. :undecided:

Regards,

Jens

Nice looking Weasel you have there! I hate to tell you this, though, but the "AF 69" should always be to the left of the last three of the serial - on both sides. :undecided:

Regards,

Jens

Hi Jens,

Yes I wondered that too but since i couldn't find any pics of the A/C in question i thought it was a peculiarity of this bird :hmmm: The good news is the other side is right.

WeaselBuild053.jpg

The tail codes and A/C come as a one piece decal so it looks like Eagle Strike got it wrong, or have they :wicked:

WeaselBuild052.jpg

As you can see one of the tail codes are 'handed' one isn't , who knows :shrug:

Rich

Hi Rich,

Why Eagle Strike printed the decals like that I don't know, but I know for sure that 69-285 had "AF 69" to the left of "285" on both sides of the tail fin (I have a picture of it).

As you said, the port side is right. ;)

Regards,

Jens

Thanks for the info Jens, well its too late to do anything about it now :raincloud: so I'll put this one down to poor research and Strike Eagle's vague instructions and only show its correct side.

Incidently I'd if you've got any good pics of any 561 F.S birds I'd like to see them as I've only come across a couple on Airliners.net.

TIA

Rich

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...