Harrier Gr9

goose

on this picture which airfix are posibly going to use on ther gr9 box what is the pod on cenerline? i know the one is sniper pod

RAF_Harrier_GR91-1.jpg

Edited by goose

I'm pretty sure it's a countermeasures pod. I think Spike posted some pics on here with more detail. If he or Bombed don't come along soon andset us straight, I'll do a search through his posts to see if I can locate it. TERMA pod springs to mind but I need to check.

Edit: I think Ian may well be right - DJRP is 458mm diameter to Sniper's 302mm - which looks about right on the pic. DJRP is also carried on the centreline whereas the pod I'm thinking of is on the starboard fuselage pylon.

Edited by Kirk

i think the pod on the centreline pylon is a digital recconaissance pod (DJRP)

BTW airfix tend to use stock images until the computer rendered box artwork is ready, so dont expect the kit to look like that. ditto with the new lynx helos and the seafire 17 in the catalogue.

EDIT- beaten to it!

Edited by lufbramatt

I was indeed Dave - but I was wrong :-(

Thing that threw me is that the lens opening is normally rotated towards the fuselage when the a/c is on the ground (see Merv's 1st pic). Goose's in-flight pic shows it pointing (er, unsurprisingly) towards the ground, making look a bit like a TERMA to the casual observer.

Looks like I failed the BM Harrier Spotter exam again. Try me on a bit of Pegasus and I might do better.

Edit: PS/ CRV7s on intermediates?

Edited by Kirk

I was indeed Dave - but I was wrong :-(

Thing that threw me is that the lens opening is normally rotated towards the fuselage when the a/c is on the ground (see Merv's 1st pic). Goose's in-flight pic shows it pointing (er, unsurprisingly) towards the ground, making look a bit like a TERMA to the casual observer.

Looks like I failed the BM Harrier Spotter exam again. Try me on a bit of Pegasus and I might do better.

Edit: PS/ CRV7s on intermediates?

Yup.

2058177544.jpg

Since the Harriers returned from Afghan, all the Terma pods are sat accross the airfield as they no longer need them only used on Ops!!

As are the ones carried by the Nimrod MR2 (same pod), all of which will soon be sitting idle once the Gummint withdraws the aircraft.

So nice to see our tax money going to good use...

As are the ones carried by the Nimrod MR2 (same pod), all of which will soon be sitting idle once the Gummint withdraws the aircraft.

So nice to see our tax money going to good use...

They haven't had a very long service really, money well spent.

You're a good man Merv. In fact the most authoritative source on Harrier stores I've ever encountered. :worthy:

By the way, how on earth do you hang a DJRP - it looks like there's only about 100mm clearance underneath it. Don't they get bent on hard landings?

That has always been the case with the Harrier centreline. The original recce pods on GR1s and GR3s had a similar ground clearance. I never saw one of those bent in a hard landing.

Other stores used on the centreline of GR3s included BL755s and CBLS. The BL755, being a soft-skinned weapon, had a cradle (known as a trough) to support it on the rollers of whatever lifting equipment was used. The ground clearance was so small that the rubber lining on a normal trough meant that the BL755 couldn't fit under the gun pods. There were special troughs with a thin rubber lining used, but even then it was touch and go as to whether you could get the CBU in without having to dismantle the pod.

1000lb bombs were used only rarely on the centreline. The fins of those could be dented on landing. Phimat pods were trialled on the centreline as well, but we soon stopped that because the airflow tended to throw all the chaff into the back hatch, where it would cause all sorts of problems!

yes ive been waiting for this to come out for some time (shull), cant wait for him to get opened again

And AW still says cooming soon hopfully very soon!

Edited by goose