Airfix Buccaneer

F-32

What sort of quality was the original kit? Were the moulds OK? I wouldn't mind buying it if it made up into something decent. The original kit, if I remember correctly might have been of a Mk1. If so the nacelles and other whatnots will be the wrong shape for the "proper" Bucc. Any comments?

Edited by Oldynewby

1/72nd scale.

I believe, as Bill pointed out, its a re-pop of there S.2B (NOT the S.1 with the small dia intakes) which has a few flaws but generally its not bad. SAM Publications did a few resin set a while back to replace the radome, tailplane, and some weapons stuff for GW1. There's also some Airwaves detail sets, one for the cockpit/seats, antenna, intakes and airbrake, and another set for the wingfold. Aeroclub do a white metal undercarriage and a vacform canopy, and possibly seats as well. Something rings a bell that there may be a replacement intake set about as well, but maybe someone else can clarify that one for me. Model Alliance have 2 or 3 sheets in 72nd with plenty stuff for the Bucc.

Kit markings are for 3 aircraft - a SAAF machine, a RN S.2, and a Gulf War aircraft as well.

I'm after a few anyways!!

Eng

Ian over at Heritage Aviation did some intakes for the Buccaneer a while back, but when I swapped e-mails with him recently I think he said something about having to re-make the moulds or repair them - apologies Ian if I have mis-quoted you.

Ant

1/72nd scale.

I believe, as Bill pointed out, its a re-pop of there S.2B (NOT the S.1 with the small dia intakes) which has a few flaws but generally its not bad. SAM Publications did a few resin set a while back to replace the radome, tailplane, and some weapons stuff for GW1. There's also some Airwaves detail sets, one for the cockpit/seats, antenna, intakes and airbrake, and another set for the wingfold. Aeroclub do a white metal undercarriage and a vacform canopy, and possibly seats as well. Something rings a bell that there may be a replacement intake set about as well, but maybe someone else can clarify that one for me. Model Alliance have 2 or 3 sheets in 72nd with plenty stuff for the Bucc.

Kit markings are for 3 aircraft - a SAAF machine, a RN S.2, and a Gulf War aircraft as well.

I'm after a few anyways!!

Eng

Ian over at Heritage Aviation did some intakes for the Buccaneer a while back, but when I swapped e-mails with him recently I think he said something about having to re-make the moulds or repair them - apologies Ian if I have mis-quoted you.

Ant

very soon an all new s1 set is due out....intakes and tailcones.... to go with our slipper tanks oh and a recce pod as well...

rgds ian

Edited by iant

can i also take this opportunity to say WELL DONE AIRFIX ONLINE SHOP TEAM!!! these are the chaps that also run the flying hours service, now i ordered these (3 of them) about midnight Sunday / monday morning and its here! thats 36 hrs ish!! ok WELL DONE ROYAL MAIL!!!!!!!!!

That may be worth picking up just for the decals - wow did I just say that about an Airfix kit?!? Hornby is definately taking Airfix in a good direction. I am hopeful that they will do the 1/48 kit with a new decal sheet at some point now; I (we?) need good quality Buccaneer stencils in 1/48. - Jack

Mmmm, just been drooling over the options on my MA decals sheet as well, how many Bucc's do I need? (none is probably the real answer!)

Like the Gulf option out of the box definetly, and from the MA sheet a grey 12 Sqn jet, oh then a 237 OCU wrapround camo option with some 1000lb'ers is order of the day, and there's still some nice decal options left.......Mmm,

Bank manager (read wife!) won't like this.

Eng

To encourage you all to get building here are some pictures of my recently completed 1/72 Airfix Buccaneer.

britmodeller002.jpg

britmodeller001.jpg

snow2009115.jpg

Plus dad pointing to the bit he did on the real thing- the tail bullet!