Red 250 Gto - Revell 1:24 Kit

daft_biker

Going for a straight forward build from the box and hoping to avoid too many mistakes on this one. I got an airbrush recently so I could get a smoother and shinier finish on the body paint but I've only got experience of using it on one model and it was a bit of a disaster so here's hoping this one turns out better!

4339071668_60987b95c9_o.jpg

Took that yeserday morning....engine block, carbs, chasis and most of the suspension linkages are now painted and some bits assembled. Will get more done today and post some progress pics.

Cheers,

Andy

The GTO seems popular - at this rate we might end up with more than Ferrari built!

There's quite a few other Ferraris that I fancy doing too so I'll hopefully get one or two more done while the group build is going ;)

Have put the engine bits together now.....

4342107180_429d493d96_o.jpg

4342107088_4918f52e05_o.jpg

Just giving the prop shaft some drying time before I put the engine on the chassis.

Did the front suspension and steering linkages this afternoon......it was......errrr......interesting! :mental:

Fair bit progress since my last post....

Put the engine in and done most of the bits under the body:

4356928149_406da0a726_o.jpg

Not all parts fitted and there's a few wonky bits but I'm bashing on regardless:

4356928283_b4d90bcec4_o.jpg

I eventually plucked up the courage to paint the body shell too:

4357675954_109f2284c1_o.jpg

4357675804_9c42ab656b_o.jpg

My first go painting a car with an airbrush! :cheers: Have only used it for 1 bike before.

I'm not fussed for opening doors or boot so I stuck them on before painting to give me slightly less chance of trashing the body paint during the rest of the built. Think I'll leave the body a few days to dry before I touch it so I don't trash it like I did my last model.

......oh aye and somehow a 612 has made it onto the top of my to build pile so I may be onto that soon ;)

Thanks guys. Have been enjoying this build even although the GTO is a more difficult build than I expected....I'll have another go at fitting the front shockies before I give up on them and move on.

I'm finding using the airbrush for the big bits is so much better than using brushes as it doesn't take long to do and gives a better finish. I've used some spray cans for this aswell but mostly on the underside for the exhausts and sump gaurd (or whatever the big plate is that goes on the underside.).

Hope to make a start on the 612 in the next week or two so shiould have plenty time to get that one done in the GB too. Where do we stand on F1 cars in here? I saw a nice Tamiya kit in Wonderland the other day but reckon I should stick with the cheaper kits until I'm confident I'm not going to make a pig's ear of it (again!).

We love F1 kits - the more the merrier. After all, Ferrari are the most successful and longest-lasting team in the history of F1.

I plan to do an F1 car for the GB, I just haven't got round to starting yet - life keeps getting in the way. I dug out the relevant Autocourse at the weekend, so I hope to start it soon.

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Lovely glossy coat on that body! B) Hope this doesn't p*ss you off, but when you fit the cowlings (?) for the headlights there will be gaps that need filling, also the bottom part of the grille doesn't fit very well either, that'll need filler and sanding too.

That GTO looks really nice, lovely base finish to the body shell, get it good and glossy and it should look great.

You mean I've more to do to it? :analintruder:

I need to go pick up some fresh scalpels and stuff tommorow so I'll see what they've got/recomend for polish or whatever I should do to it next to get it even more shiny.

I got some clear varnishes last time and I've used them on the bits I've put together so far. The gloss varnish seems less shiny than the Tamiya gloss paint (red X-7 for the body) so I wasn't planning on using varnish on the body. Would be nice if the body had a harder finish on it though.....happy to take suggestions on what to do next with it.

Lovely glossy coat on that body! B) Hope this doesn't p*ss you off, but when you fit the cowlings (?) for the headlights there will be gaps that need filling, also the bottom part of the grille doesn't fit very well either, that'll need filler and sanding too.

Filler. What's that :rolleyes:;) I did use some sandpaper on it before painting though....hopefully won't be too bad!

I guessed I wouldn't be able to get the body over the chassis with the lower half of the front bit on so I'm expecting there to be a seam that probably shouldn't be there. I've probably been lucky with my previous kits fitting together nicely and not getting bitten by not planning ahead or test fitting stuff. Fingers crossed eh :wacko:

Have you thought of using Klear on the body shell, a hard finish and a deep shine.

No but I am now after a quick google...ta :)

I saw a mention of using Klear on the clear bits too - should I be using it on the windows before I do anything with them?

I always dip my aircraft canopies in Klear, don't know how it'd work on a large piece of flatish clear plastic though. As for the bottom bit on the front of the GTO, I've glued, filled and sanded mine (still needs more sanding to get it right), the chassis can be fitted with it in place.

Filler. What's that :rolleyes:;) I did use some sandpaper on it before painting though....hopefully won't be too bad!

I guessed I wouldn't be able to get the body over the chassis with the lower half of the front bit on so I'm expecting there to be a seam that probably shouldn't be there. I've probably been lucky with my previous kits fitting together nicely and not getting bitten by not planning ahead or test fitting stuff. Fingers crossed eh :wacko:

Unfortunately there will be a seam as there was on mine as the thing doesn't fit overly well. I'm afraid there's going to be an element of sanding and filling that will put a dent in that rather nice paint job, nothing that can't be overcome.

Keep up the good work

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately there will be a seam as there was on mine as the thing doesn't fit overly well. I'm afraid there's going to be an element of sanding and filling that will put a dent in that rather nice paint job, nothing that can't be overcome.

Well I tried to get rid of the seam by doing some sanding and filling but don't quite manage it this time. Doesn't fit very well was putting it midly but it was worth the effort trying to smooth the join out for the learning experience. I didn't find any Klear (yet) but got some Tamiya gloss to try and get it shiny. Thanks guys :)

4392436850_57ebf1935e_o.jpg

I added the mesh in the vents and put the race exhaust on rather than the long exhaust and tail pipes. Presumably it makes more noise that way :D

Andy

Edited by daft_biker

• 4 months later...