Fokker Dr.1

NickT

Hello,

this is the kit I'll be attempting for this group build.

2010_02010001.jpg

Its the Eduard dual combo Fokker DR.1. I've had the Pheon decals for a while and the Fokker streaked decals arrived last week so I'm all set to go. I just need to choose which of the 30 schemes I'm going to do.

Nick

Hello,

this is the kit I'll be attempting for this group build.

Its the Eduard dual combo Fokker DR.1. I've had the Pheon decals for a while and the Fokker streaked decals arrived last week so I'm all set to go. I just need to choose which of the 30 schemes I'm going to do.

Nick

Hello Nick,

Do you know, I tried just the same combination of ingredients not so long ago......

P1010027.jpg

Tom's streaking decals are excellent - the others are a bit dodgy though.........

Good luck! which one(s) are you doing??

Edited by Rowan Broadbent

Rowan,

nice looking fokker, did you have any problems with the build? I'm not quite sure how I'm going to go about using the streaked decals though, never covered a whole plane before.

As to the colour schemes, I think I'm doing the metal cowled Jasta 15 aircraft and maybe the Jasta 19 machine with black and white fuselage bands.

Nick

Rowan,

nice looking fokker, did you have any problems with the build? I'm not quite sure how I'm going to go about using the streaked decals though, never covered a whole plane before.

As to the colour schemes, I think I'm doing the metal cowled Jasta 15 aircraft and maybe the Jasta 19 machine with black and white fuselage bands.

Nick

Hello Nick,

The biggest problem is setting up the undercarriage with its four separate struts - which is why I've included the jig pattern with the decals - it works! I'd also thoroughly recommend that you split the lower wing into two, as I explain in the jig instructions and fit the lower fuselage cover part to the assembled fuselage. The two lower wings just slot in when the decaling is done -very easy! The only other problem was fitting the machine guns, not very positive locations! Fair amount of clean up to the wing trailing edges and some thinning along the underside will pay dividends to give a nice sharp trailing edge.

The streaking decals work a treat. Cut the leading edge and wing roots exactly square for the two lower wings. Use the actual parts as templates for the wing tips allowing about a 5mm overlap to the trailing edge will allow for the curvature of the upper surface and add another 5m overhang to the t/e. Align each decal with the centre line of the leading edge and the wing root, letting the excess overhang the trailing edge. As soon as you're happy with its position and have pressed it down, trim the decal along the t/e and round the tip (it might be helpful to put a couple of small vertical slashes in the wing tip decal overhang to help it conform) by using a downward cutting motion with a brand new blade, running it along the scalloped edges, one rib space at a time gives a perfect result.

For the fuselage decal, use the bottom mating edge of the fuselage half as a template for cutting the lower curve (before you start construction!) gives a perfect match. If you want the slight blue overlap, just move the decal up slightly as you apply it and voila, a neat, fine blue line! (having painted all the blue undersurfaces and extending the colour up the fuselage sides first, of course!! Do both sides first and then apply the top decal - if youve cut the decal out carefully, you won't need to trim.

That all sounds more complicated than it really is, it's just common sense really! Good luck, I'll be watching with interest!

Oh, I forgot to say, if you pre-paint thewhite or black areas first you can use the decal as "reverse mask" to give a perfect edge - I wouldn't recommend masking over the streaking decals!

Edited by Rowan Broadbent

Ollie,

the decals aren't woodgrain. Fokkers were painted with a streaked finish on the fabric covered areas. The streaks were a fairly random series of hand painted areas, the streaks appearing as the brushes ran out of paint. These decals simulate this finish.

Nick

Very interesting topic.

I didn't know that there were some decals for the special look of the DR.I fabric.

I plan to build one myself this year, but I'll have a try with another method, base coat with airbrush, and then oil paint applied with a wide brush.

• 4 months later...

Due to one thing and another, going's been pretty slow on this.

I've done the interior now and closed her up.

2010_06100004.jpg

2010_06100006.jpg

I'll have to speed things up if I'm to finish on time.

Nick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys for all the kind words and encouragement.

Nearly on the home straight now.

2010_07250011.jpg

Got the streaked decals on now. Went much better than I feared, thanks Rowan for the tip about using a brand new blade for trimming. Ended up using two as the first blade was no longer sharp enough to trim the decals properly after one day.

Then made a start with the Pheon decals.

2010_07250016.jpg

All the aircraft markings are now on with just a few stencils to add. I can only echo what everybody else says about these decals, they are fantastic to work with. The quality is superb, they can be moved about on the model with no fear of tearing and when they settle down they conform to the surface really well.

You can also see in the background the jig for fixing the problems with the undercarriage length, which will be the next job.

Thanks for looking,

Nick

Everything's now painted and decaled that needs it.

The undercarriage is now on, made a lot easier with use of the Pheon jig that comes with the decals.

2010_07300002.jpg

Final assembly and the finishing touches tomorrow.

Nick