Eduard 1/48 I-16 Type24 Weekend Edition

Hi all,

since the deadline is extended Walrus agreed I could join, here it is.

I started the works around Nov 20-22nd 2009, and haven't really touched it since (or done any other modelling).

The errors of Eduard's I-16's are well known, luckily this release has the corrected cowlings.

Scratchbuilt cockpit details. I had an early "sample" PE set from Eduard Type 10, so I used some parts.

I-16tip24kokpit.jpg

I-16tip24kokpitL.jpg

I-16tip24kokpitLR.jpg

The cowl gap is created. The blade is wrapped with tape to prevent accidental damage to the fuselage (don't ask how I learned that).

I-16tip24oplatadubljenje.jpg

The rudder correction. The top must be rounded, the kit is extremely pointy. On the real a/c rudder was deflected 2,5deg to counter the torque. Further spine corrections will be made when I glue the fuselage halves together, as the spine is too straight.

I-16tip24korekcijarepa.jpg

I-16tip24korekcijarepa2.jpg

Wheelbay. At first I drilled the windows in Type 10 style. Eduard doesn't tell you to do that, but nicely gives you the raised "kidney" outlines as a guideline. The u/c actuating line comes from the hole in the center of the bay, not the kidney as Eduard instructions show.

I-16tip24krilo.jpg

But then, after seeing the info on Scalemodels.ru and in the type manual, I made a correction. M-63 engined types (24, 28 and 29) had smaller square windows. The third window, which Eduard gives in the normal kits in PE, isn't shown, but is also opened. Also I added some undercarriage rod actuators from stretched sprue. Also, the ski-troughs were opened. All that cooling air has to exit the cowl somewhere.

I-16tip24krilo2.jpg

The cowl shutters from sample PE don't fit the cowl openings. Surprisingly, the regular PE from the first release Type 10 kit doesn't fit both corrected type 10 and type 24 cowls. So I made my own shutters from strip styrene with scribed central groove. The groove was painted black to help with alignment.

I-16tip24oplatamotora2.jpg

I-16tip24oplatamotora.jpg

I also drilled the pilot grip openings and cockpit windows in front of the pilot. But first time I drilled the round windows to close to the rim.

I-16tip24trupprozoripopravak.jpg

I-16tip24trupprozorigotovo.jpg

Currently I'm making the type 24 instrument panel, as the kit plastic and PE parts are for the type 5 (which Eduard doesn't even make).

So that's the state up to today.