Sopwith Triplane

magpie

Not quite a new model but a repaint of a kit I built ages ago with a new engine, from my spares box I think it was from the Roden Sopwith 1/1/2 strutter, and wheels from the Eduard Camel. A quick job to try the new Pheon decals which are superb.

DSCF1010copy.jpg

DSCF1022copy.jpg

DSCF1033copy.jpg

DSCF1037copy.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice looking Sopwith - very well done

Des.

I like your wood effect - how did you do it?

Is it really 1/72? Sure it's not an Eduard 1/48th one? :rolleyes:

Yes it is the Eduard 48th kit sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Can't do 1/72nd too small for me. Do all my wood finishes with watercolours overcoated with Klear. Sometimes brave enough to mix the Klear in with the paint and go for a quick streaky woodgrain finish.

Ed

Magpie,

Outstanding little Tripe.Your paint is excellent,some of the best I've seen. I don't know about you,but I'm sure hoping Wingnuts bite the bullet and comes up with Tripe in 1/32 scale. Again outstanding project.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Edited by Spad57

Yes it is the Eduard 48th kit sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Can't do 1/72nd too small for me. Do all my wood finishes with watercolours overcoated with Klear. Sometimes brave enough to mix the Klear in with the paint and go for a quick streaky woodgrain finish.

Ed

Sorry, I read Roden Strutter and thought of their 1/72 one!!

• 1 month later...

That's a very nice little Triplane Ed. Very realistically finished.

I've just found this forum looking for the definitive answer on the colour of WW1 roundels, a simple question with no straight forward answer it would seem.

I too am building a model of R.A.Little's "Blymp", albeit a flying model and a little larger at 1/3 scale! The aircraft will fly as part of the UK Dawn Patrol team at some point in the future hopefully.

It looks like there is some good stuff round here and although I've not built any small scale plastic kits for many years (with the exception of a 1/48 scale Mossie) I'm a firm believer in learning from other disciplines where appropriate.

Anyway, as I said it's a great model of a lovely aeroplane.

Alan

That's a very nice little Triplane Ed. Very realistically finished.

I've just found this forum looking for the definitive answer on the colour of WW1 roundels, a simple question with no straight forward answer it would seem.

I too am building a model of R.A.Little's "Blymp", albeit a flying model and a little larger at 1/3 scale! The aircraft will fly as part of the UK Dawn Patrol team at some point in the future hopefully.

It looks like there is some good stuff round here and although I've not built any small scale plastic kits for many years (with the exception of a 1/48 scale Mossie) I'm a firm believer in learning from other disciplines where appropriate.

Anyway, as I said it's a great model of a lovely aeroplane.

Alan

Cheers Alan and welcome to the forum. Good luck with the model and maybe you could post some pics.

As usual ed surperb build. For info of visitors to the thread this is a rebuild of the original Eduard, and seen in the flesh is even moe impressive. When you've finnished with them; any chance of you denoting those eyes to me rather than medicil science ??

Well done

Graham

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the welcome, I won't steal your thread too much with stuff about a model somewhat outside the usual scope of this forum.

I've included a link to my build thread on the Radio Control Model Flyers forum (I hope linking to other forums is OK Mods?) for those that are interested. It's very much work in progress - there's an awful lot of work in a 1/3 scale Triplane! I have started a bit of an album of my photographs of the Old Warden Triplane at the beginning of the thread. These might be useful to other Triplane builders (but again work in progress). There's also a link to the Dawn Patrol website that has details of what the group is trying to achieve and photographs of the models already on the circuit.

A few notes on Captain R.A.Little, the pilot of "Blymp", that might be of interest.

Robert Alexander Little was born in Melbourne, Australia in July 1895 of Scottish parents. Having learnt to fly privately, he joined the RNAS in 1915 flying a number of aircraft before getting his hands on a Pup. As a member of Naval 8 he gained his first victories in November 1916. Later, he scored 24 kills with the Triplane and had a total score of 47 victories at the time of his death in action, in May 1918.

The name Blymp was his nickname for his young son. The name was removed from the aircraft when Eric Crundell took it over.

1/3 scale Triplane build - http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,48364.0.html

Dawn Patrol Group - http://www.dawnpatroluk.co.uk/

I hope that is of interest

Alan