* Hughes 500 thingy: FINISHED.

TonyT

Bought this one off one of the member here the other week with the specific Idea of doing a quick build, so you have missed quite a bit of it, as i was lazy in the camera dept.. pics show some flaws I need to correct such as open seams in the head etc.....

Decided I wanted to do it as a really poor open air museum version or one that got left behind in Nam.......

To this ends it being a civilian version with doors and a Magum'esque scheme, I chopped out the doors, added some padding to the seats badly, wish I had thought of the tea bag tissue route. Sliced the rear seats off the bulkhead and filled the holes, added the strenghtening strips to the floor , I have made up some curly cable, some seat belt mounts, some belts, added some wiring behind the centre pedestal and drilled out some of the instruments, removed as souveniers or for spares, and added a bit of detail here and there, that is basically it internally......... Luckily the kit came with some of the military interior etc on the sprues, and a pilot figure whose arms seated extended will past his knees LOL. I have sanded the windows down to a matt finish to simultae how perspex goes, the front screen will suffer the same fate to a certain degree.

Ok in the aim of the above abandoned derelict look, I have painted it US green then over painted in various browns to give it a Faded look on top of this I have added various corrosion picked out in whites and more shades of brown, US Army decals are off the 1/35th Chinook and I mixed the Chinook codes up to make a spurious one, these are then weathered down............ story so far is best seen as pictures below.... (click on links)

All done with a Hairy stick BTW..... first real sort of model post so be gentle...

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core..._serialNumber=1

Edited by TonyT

I know, unfortunately there isn't as my camera lens wasn't available, that is why I put up a description :(

Hi ,

OK ,no problem.

But in order to be "finished" you need to place pictures (no links) in the gallery.

"finished"

Its far from finished..... Unfortunately this site will only accept links due to its archane structure, will have to sort out another site to post them from.

:undecided: ...that is such a sad and depressing sight to see for such a nice chopper.Having flown in one and loved how agile they were...really sad. I'm guessing this kit was just a dog with missing bits or bad joins for you to make it a dumped version in a "Nam" dio?

• 3 weeks later...

I better crack on with this...

Ok been working on the base and not touched the helicopter bar to paint the tail rotor and start to do the tie downs, the Idea is to have then torn and shredded with rotting ropes on them, the ropes are copper tell tale wire twisted in some locking pliers and then cut and shaped, a bit of magic sculp makes the tattered boots.........

Base is Sanding discs as natural colour is close to concrete, they have been cut to shape ripped in bits to give cracks then as they are self adhesive simply stook down to what was an old clock surround, black paint was added for the tar sealing in the join then some cut up broom bristles for the weeds, a few paints washed over it and its coming together.......

I made up and i am still doing some cases, scratch built an rusty extinguisher on the floor, hollowed out a resin jerrycan and scattered them about....

base.jpg

base2.jpg

base1-1.jpg

Edited by TonyT
  • Like 1

Little update.

Canopy was a lousy fit, either it or me........

Added the canopy, still needs a tad of filler around it, prior to adding finely sanded it down, rubbed in paint to sanded area, coat of matt from rattle can, rubbed, paint , another coat, did a couple of times then final sand back and matt coat again.... trying to give the opaque old perspex look with age and heat....... Started to paint the tie downs and the remains of the tip boots, gone for a bleached washed out cotton....... or at least I have tried to...... Still need to add paint around canopy etc to finish that bit off

canopy2.jpg

canopy.jpg

canopy1.jpg

been thinking of an old stars and stripes draped in cabin to add some colour....but times a ticking to get it done :(

• Like 1

Oh My word, I have finished a model........................................................................

Ok using my favourite item, Magic sculp, knocked up a weathered and battle scared flag to add a bit of colour and dumped it in the cabin, then painted it. Added some banding to the odd boxes and finshed off some of the painting........

Took some pics tonight to simulate a sunset effect, though will post some daylight ones tomorrow if i get a chance, hope they are ok.

Loach2.jpg

Loach.jpg

[loach1.jpg

Thanks, ok as finished I have taken some daylight ones as mentioned above..

Edit, transferred to completed page :)

Edited by TonyT