Shutter speeds for prop blur at airshows?

dylan the rabbit

Ok, ok, I'm a photographer and should know this, but I hardly photograph prop planes in flight, and am going to Duxford this weekend to photograph the air display (for my personal and Britmodeller use of course!)

What's the ideal range for shutter speeds to get a bit of movement in the prop, and to make the rest of the plane tack sharp, bearing in mind I'll be on the ground?

My thoughts would be a minimum of 1/125-250th to freeze the plane, but not to freeze the prop.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I have a digital so I can do trial and error, but I'd rather know the range before I go down there.

Tata!

Nick

I think you're basicly in the appropriate range there. But if you've got a nice Image Stabilizing lens you could go even slower.

Getting chopper blur, now that's a pain in the butt. The blades are so slow I have been trying to get down to 1/100 and slower. Of course very often one will see not only the rotor getting blurry then... :P

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

I use anywhere between 1/125 and 1/320. I only go to 1/320 'cos I've got such a naff lens and don't wanna risk losing loads of shots.

Try 1/200th, it should generally do the trick

Wockas are different as you can practically watch the blades rotate!

Hi Nick,

You're spot on the right kind of range (not a photographer for nothing, obviously :) )

Here's a few for reference (apologies to those who've seen 'em before)

1/50...

PICT0365.jpg

1/60...

IMG_8665.jpg

1/125...

IMG_7098.jpg

1/200...

PICT0084.jpg

1/250...

IMG_0257.jpg

Depends also on the speed of the prop. It'll be running faster in a flat out pass than it would at ground idle for instance. Faster speed = more blur for a given shutter speed. Take the first two above, the Bearcat is a slower speed but the Mustang has more blur, the Bearcat was taxying in whilst the Mustang was doing a run-up prior to departure (it was pretty windy!) I generally default to 1/250 for airborne pops as I find it gives the best compromise between some prop blur and a nice sharp plane. Usual approach is get the 'banker' using this setting then start experimenting on the other passes.

Steve.

Edited by Bennygman

Try 1/200th, it should generally do the trick

Wockas are different as you can practically watch the blades rotate!

I still find that, with my lens, 1/200th doesn't always get the best results so I'll go to 1/320th if the subject is special and I don't want to lose alot of pics.

Hi Nick,

You're spot on the right kind of range (not a photographer for nothing, obviously :) )

Here's a few for reference (apologies to those who've seen 'em before)

1/50...

PICT0365.jpg

1/60...

IMG_8665.jpg

1/125...

IMG_7098.jpg

1/200...

PICT0084.jpg

1/250...

IMG_0257.jpg

Depends also on the speed of the prop. It'll be running faster in a flat out pass than it would at ground idle for instance. Faster speed = more blur for a given shutter speed. Take the first two above, the Bearcat is a slower speed but the Mustang has more blur, the Bearcat was taxying in whilst the Mustang was doing a run-up prior to departure (it was pretty windy!) I generally default to 1/250 for airborne pops as I find it gives the best compromise between some prop blur and a nice sharp plane. Usual approach is get the 'banker' using this setting then start experimenting on the other passes.

Steve.

Nice shots Steve. You shooting on Sunday?

Cheers,

Nick

You shooting on Sunday?

Yep - it'll probably be my last show of the season. Weather's looking ok at the moment - 20C and sunny intervals, not bad for Dux as the sun starts off in your face then moves around and down to the right.

Trying to remember if they've got a Bristol fighter there, tucked away in the corner of one of the hangars. If so then I might get some walk-around shots for the Eduard one I dug out of the loft last night - thinking of joining the GB.

Steve.

Edited by Bennygman

Yep - it'll probably be my last show of the season. Weather's looking ok at the moment - 20C and sunny intervals, not bad for Dux as the sun starts off in your face then moves around and down to the right.

Trying to remember if they've got a Bristol fighter there, tucked away in the corner of one of the hangars. If so then I might get some walk-around shots for the Eduard one I dug out of the loft last night - thinking of joining the GB.

Steve.

Go on son, you know you want to... :pilot: