312 T4

nick

Spurred on by new veolicity stacks, got some work done on the monocoque today. Still need to add A LOT of rivets.

4573484721_8678452d06_o.jpg

Added some copper wire to simulate the windings on the alternator as well after doing some more research, quite pleased with how this has turned out.

4573486165_a1dea25015_o.jpg

4574120418_bec3c99852_o.jpg

Removed the moulded strap from the extinguisher bottle and scratch made a new one from ali with a wire buckle. Still need to plumb all this. Struggling for references for this area at the moment if anyone has anything?

4573486841_8d23081fbd_o.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nick

Edited by nick

Really nice work Nick, you got the engine colours spot on! Hope you've got the valve clearances correct and you checked the end float on the crankshaft!

Adam

Fantasti work without a doubt, but I'm not sure- but you have probably made a little mistake with those butterfly plates.

I would strongly suggest an engine of that period would have a slide throttle arrangement- I managed to find one photo- but not enough detail to call one way or the other.

However- the site locked up- so it may have some bugs?

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/larg...i-312-T4_12.jpg

Edited by Mentalguru

Fantasti work without a doubt, but I'm not sure- but you have probably made a little mistake with those butterfly plates.

I would strongly suggest an engine of that period would have a slide throttle arrangement- I managed to find one photo- but not enough detail to call one way or the other.

However- the site locked up- so it may have some bugs?

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/larg...i-312-T4_12.jpg

You may well be right, I have been lacking good refernces generally for this project and am going for 'looks feasible' rather than accurate under the circumstances!

Nick

• 1 month later...

Got some work done today after a long lay-off. Most of the suspension is built now and the body panels are in primer> I will post some pictures later

Or maybe not. Got A LOT of work to do on the suspension. Built as supplied in the kit and it's held together with about 20 very visible, very non-scale cross head screws. Hmm.

Current thinking is lock everything off with cyano, then carefully, very carefully, grind all the heads back to very thin disks which I can then detail with nuts, bolts allen heads as appropriate. Apart from the front top coil over mounting which appears to be a large nurled nut affair wire locked off. Not a bloody big hex head screw anyway.

Ferrari-312-T4_9.jpg

also hit on the idea of very diluted and wet PVA with a thin layer of static grass saturated into to it replicate the rough, black glass fibre on the inside of all the panels:-

Ferrari-312-T4_11.jpg

Nick

Edited by nick

Heres where I'm up to:-

4674459597_56127a89bd_b.jpg

Scratch built the pedals from ali as per the photo I posted earlier, also started to add some allen head bolte to the suspension mountings:-

4675080184_b52ec3f838_b.jpg

Also used some ali sheet on the floor and fabricated the throttle cable. Fairly happy with the result

4675077868_bf0f53f059_b.jpg

Here's the full size

4675228288_6eb9fe4ffe.jpg

My attempt at Fiberglass is shown below, It's overdone on one side and needs more paint to 'wet it more' fairly OK though I think? Also turned down some ali drive shafts that you can't really see in this picture.

4675078954_2af4fbcedd_b.jpg

Lastly decided to substitute my enourmous screws with brass tubing that seems to be working OK so far

4674458623_c747257a8d_b.jpg

We're getting there finally (-:

Although still toying with the idea of doing it properly and sheeting and rivetting the entire tub from sheet ali. Don't have a full set of drawings or photos to pull this off right now. I may come back to it one day.

Nick

Edited by nick

Fantastic work Nick, simply superb!! :thumbsup: I really like your idea for the rough fibreglass effect & the tyres look fantastic - did they come like that in the kit, or have you treated the surface somehow?

Really brilliant build!

Keef

Fantastic work Nick, simply superb!! :thumbsup: I really like your idea for the rough fibreglass effect & the tyres look fantastic - did they come like that in the kit, or have you treated the surface somehow?

Really brilliant build!

Keef

Tyres have had a good dremlling with a coarse drum and a light touch, If you're careful, they get just hot enough for the rubber to come off in a realistic way.

Nick

Tyres have had a good dremlling with a coarse drum and a light touch, If you're careful, they get just hot enough for the rubber to come off in a realistic way.

Nick

Thanks Nick, I shall have to try that (on an old tyre first though, methinks!! :D )

Keef

Right, well I've ripped that to bits now. I have spent too much time on the engine and the rest of the car to put up with a rubbish tub. I have removed everything and getting the shape correct without gaps. I have removed all of the suspension points and will be scratch building more correct mounts after I have clad the tub with ali plates which are very visible on the full size.

I now need to punch about about 2000 pop rivets )-: thinking of making a tool actually, watch this space

When does this close again?

Nick

Well the tear-down is done, so is the filling and prep, starting to fabricate the ali sheet panels now.

There is a weird crenelated texture to the rear bulkhead,

4693650571_5a54eddf75_b.jpg

so spray mounted some microballoons to put under the foil:-

4694069080_d0d8e19363_b.jpg

Also there are hollow triangular structures supporting the suspension arms,

4694284968_7710b58968_b.jpg

so had a go at replicating these whilst I was at it, hence the vee shaped cut outs

4694069968_c2d1610e8c_b.jpg

I've settled for a technique of BMF for all the edges and curved surfaces, then fabricating panels from ali sheet for the rest

4693435529_4bcebda62a_b.jpg

I think this will work. I'm currently building a tool that will punch out pop-rivets - watch this space

Thanks for looking

Nick

Edited by nick

Nick I have somewhere a couple of photos of the suspension mounts. They appear to be made by folding a flat sheet into a hollow triangle. Welding this into the chassis wall then welding four tubes into it. The centre one forms the suspension arm the outer three are cut to a point and appear to be there merely to centre and reinforce the arm itself.

Hope this helps.

THC

Edited by The Hooded Claw

Nick I have somewhere a couple of photos of the suspension mounts. They appear to be made by folding a flat sheet into a hollow triangle. Welding this into the chassis wall then welding four tubes into it. The centre one forms the suspension arm the outer three are cut to a point and appear to be there merely to centre and reinforce the arm itself.

Hope this helps.

THC

That makes sense, I have formed the hollow triangular section that you can see in one of my later photos, if you do hav some pictures of it that would be very useful

Thanks for the help

Nick

Got some more work done today. The rivets look OK just punched from the reverse side so have gone for this for the interior which is complete now. Just the outside to do, which is much easier. I think this, although a lot of effort, has been worth it and I'm much happier with the result.

4696932332_c81359642c_b.jpg

4696935654_10ced2b637_b.jpg4696934296_70cfa71088_b.jpg

4696932332_c81359642c_b.jpg

Nick

Edited by nick

Actually starting to enjoy this now, there is a knack to it, and it's actually quite easy when you figure out how to do it. I will certainly use this technique again

4700781147_a6ff83b39d_b.jpg

Lead foil looks a lot like titanium for the many-rivetted brackets on the roll bar I reckon

4701414910_babd0dd4eb_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nick

Nick, one thing you are missing is the Positive battery terminal needs a rubber boot over it, because if you accidentally touch it to anything else metal, it will short with the chance of a fire, blowing the electrics or worse case senario the battery exploding in your face........ the Negative does not need one as it will be a negative earth return through the chassis, Staggering build BTW .