questions for EUROFIGHTER experts

daktari

Hello

:):bye:

I'm actually working on a REVELL 1/48 scale Eurofighter and I've few questions about this jet

- First I want to represent the TYPHOON ZJ926/QO-Y, No.3 Squadron Coningsby I'll use the MODEL ALLIANCE decal sheet No 48173 and it is apparently a F2 standard. Can you tell me if this aircraft has been converted to the FGR4 standard? (I've found some photos of the QO-Y on airfighter website with THE FGR4 designation).

- On many photos it seems to me that the canopy is tinted. What is your opinion?.

- Lastly, MODELL ALLIANCE give the GUNZE H334 Barley grey colour for the camouflage. What do you think of this?

Thanks for your help

:thumbsup:

- First I want to represent the TYPHOON ZJ926/QO-Y, No.3 Squadron Coningsby I'll use the MODEL ALLIANCE decal sheet No 48173 and it is apparently a F2 standard. Can you tell me if this aircraft has been converted to the FGR4 standard? (I've found some photos of the QO-Y on airfighter website with THE FGR4 designation).

- On many photos it seems to me that the canopy is tinted. What is your opinion?.

- Lastly, MODELL ALLIANCE give the GUNZE H334 Barley grey colour for the camouflage. What do you think of this?

Last things first, if you are doing the A/C 'fresh out the factory' then barley grey would work, however in reality they are quite a bit darker (dirt etc)

Canopy- It would be tinted gold (very lightly on the inside) almost to the point where you can't see it.

and first things last.. haven't a clue (it's 3 sqn :locked: , and we haven't had that one yet)

hope this helps,

Mat

Last things first, if you are doing the A/C 'fresh out the factory' then barley grey would work, however in reality they are quite a bit darker (dirt etc)

Canopy- It would be tinted gold (very lightly on the inside) almost to the point where you can't see it.

and first things last.. haven't a clue (it's 3 sqn :locked: , and we haven't had that one yet)

hope this helps,

Mat

LOL,

One of my mates is on his conv course at Conny at the mo,(C/T Armourer)

ZJ926 appears to have been upgraded to FGR.4 standard since the MA sheet was released:

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=ZJ926

The Gunze reference is correct - when BS 4800:18-B-21 Barley Grey was reclassified as part of the BS381C range it became BS381C:626 Camouflage Grey which is how the RAF aircraft are painted. All the paint data on the MA sheet came straight from BAE and the RAF.

Hi,

Word of warning over the colour. Indeed the aircraft is painted Barley grey, however, in my recent build i found the barley grey from xtrarylix, Gunze and Tamiya to be far too dark a shade. The serials and stencil data from model alliance when applied show up lighter than barley grey out of the pot!

To get the shade i liked and appeared to match all those those photos above, i mixed barley grey 50:50 with white.....

Heres my BUILD

Edited by Inverted

Hi guys

would somebody please show me a picture of any eurofighter painted in barley grey.

It has never happened

eagle

Try any photo of any RAF Typhoon. They are RAF Camouflage (aka "Barley") Grey.

I should know, I used to work on the team that bought the paint!

ZJ926 is an FGR.4 - you can tell by the addition of the FLIR on the nose.

Edited by Bobski

Hi,

Word of warning over the colour. Indeed the aircraft is painted Barley grey, however, in my recent build i found the barley grey from xtrarylix, Gunze and Tamiya to be far too dark a shade. The serials and stencil data from model alliance when applied show up lighter than barley grey out of the pot!

To get the shade i liked and appeared to match all those those photos above, i mixed barley grey 50:50 with white.....

Heres my BUILD

`Word` as our American cousins might say. I especially find Tamiya a bit hit and miss.

I think that the modeller can be allowed a little latitude on RAF Typhoon colours.

Sure it`s Barley grey, but you can stand next to a whole line of Typhoons and be hard pressed to find two identically the same due to a whole host of enviromental or operational reasons reasons.

Aircraft modelling can learn a thing or two from AFV modelling, weathering is not always symetrical and uniform. Maybe the hydraulics in one wing has leaked and stained that side more than the other. `No step` areas will be lighter due to lesser contact with black-soled boots. Maybe the aircraft is just plain older than the one parked next door. This, and more, all effects the final appearence of the jet.

It would be a sad day when all our models look the same, because the real beasts do not all look the same on the flightline.

In the ballpark of Barley Grey and I think it would take a pretty pirnickity critic to tell you that you were wrong.

Cheers, Ian

Try any photo of any RAF Typhoon. They are RAF Camouflage (aka "Barley") Grey.

I should know, I used to work on the team that bought the paint!

ZJ926 is an FGR.4 - you can tell by the addition of the FLIR on the nose.

Oh no there not!!!!

well ive bought an actual revell eurofighter 1/32 and a bottle of vallejo 71051 labled Barley grey

And im telling you now the colour out of the bottle is too dark

So either Vallejo have got it wrong or it isnt barley grey.

Did you actually apply the paint ?

Cos I reckon if it is barley grey the bloke who spayed them mixed it with a whole load of white to tone it down

as the pics show.

The pictures above are evident that the grey is either a bluey grey or very very light grey . Infact the harriers are closer to barley grey.

Eagle

Edited by eagle

Oh no there not!!!!

well ive bought an actual revell eurofighter 1/32 and a bottle of vallejo 71051 labled Barley grey

Did you actually apply the paint ?

Cos I reckon if it is barley grey the bloke who spayed them mixed it with a whole load of white to tone it down

as the pics show.

The pictures above are evident that the grey is either a bluey grey or very very light grey . Infact the harriers are closer to barley grey.

Eagle

Did he actually apply the paint?? Are you serious??

Having spent many a year around fast jets in the USAF and having gone to the "paint barn" on numerous occasions I can tell you now that not one pot of paint ever applied was lightened! They poured the paint into the pressure pots, thinned it a bit and let fly.

Bobski is a very knowledgeable person when it comes to Eurofighters as he spends his days around them. You also need to remember that regardless of paint chips, or photographs, colors from paint manufacturers differ even according to batch.

For a guy with 7 total posts you seem to have quite the sarcastic tone about you.

Cheers!!

Mike

Oh no there not!!!!

I guess it's a possibility Vallejo have got it wrong!

Please don't tell me you are relying on those photos that come from an unknown source, where we don't know if the white balance was correctly set. Not forgetting ambient light conditions on the day, and I'll bet you aren't using a calibrated monitor. The short of it is the pics cannot be used as a definitive reference, and as Mike has said Bobski knows this plane, so if he says it's Barley grey, it is!

richc

Stephen

I looked at the colour 626 on the following charts

http://www.ifspowdercoating.co.uk/bs_381c_colour_chart.htm

as far as I can see it speaks volumes

Ill let you all look

Mike two mikes

what differance does it make if I got 1 or 2000 posts thats completely irrelevant to anything

It was in jest

And I dont like your tone come to that dont provoke what isnt there

Eagle

Edited by eagle

Stephen

I looked at the colour 626 on the following charts

http://www.ifspowdercoating.co.uk/bs_381c_colour_chart.htm

as far as I can see it speaks volumes

Ill let you all look

Mike two mikes

what differance does it make if I got 1 or 2000 posts thats completely irrelevant to anything

It was in jest

And I dont like your tone come to that dont provoke what isnt there

Eagle

Eagle

First impressions and all that stuff. You come across quite arrogant and frankly I could care less if you like me or my tone. I simply pointed out that you cannot rely on photos or paint chips. Did I know your post was in jest?? How could I?? Most posts in jest end with something like this :analintruder: or this :evil_laugh: or even this :innocent:

I sure am glad this board has a block feature. Now if I can just remember where it is :)

to the modrrators

I was going to put up my blog of my build of A 1/32 eurofighter

but if Im going to be attacked by people like mike 2 mikes then im leaving this forum

eagle

Hello everybody

Please I don't want to create a big modellers war :fraidnot:

So the typhoon colors is apparently what we call in french : UNE PATATE CHAUDE! (an hot potatoes) :argue:

In fact the models real colors is always a great debate (even on french forum). But according to me the most important is that the model enjoy his modeller isn't it ? :D

Thank you very much for your help and when my typhoon will be finished I'll edit a special post on Britmodeller forum

regards Daktari