Removing dried latex from brush

Master Zen

Bear with me this stupid question:

I have a brush which I use often for placing Vallejo liquid latex for masking. Much of the latex, however, is dried up and impossible to remove. I've been wondering if there's any magical substance which can remove the latex and leave the brush in a usable state.

Thank you!

I've used cellulose thinners or acetone in the past to get the dried latex out. It's a tough messy job, and you must wear appropriate gloves (Nitrile, thick).

To be honest the brush will never be much use for anything other than applying latex again.

If you keep some cellulose thinners about and clean the brush straight away it will be usable over and over again for application of masking fluid, but very litle else.

richc

I've used cellulose thinners or acetone in the past to get the dried latex out. It's a tough messy job, and you must wear appropriate gloves (Nitrile, thick).

To be honest the brush will never be much use for anything other than applying latex again.

If you keep some cellulose thinners about and clean the brush straight away it will be usable over and over again for application of masking fluid, but very litle else.

richc

Latex solution uses ammonia so a strong enough ammonia solution ought to re-dissolve it. Although it may not be easy to find some.

But to be honest, there's no point trying to rescue a brush once it's been used for latex. Even one application will muck it up unless you're very lucky. I find it easier simply to wash it as best I can and hang on to it, knowing that if I ever need a latex brush, there's one ready and I needn't risk a better one.

Tis an interesting question.

I've done a bit more digging and it doesn't look as if ammonia will do it. It's used as an anti coagulant in liquid latex, not a solvent.

One quote I found said that acetone doesn't work as his latex gloves survived. What he may not realise is the acetone will go almost straight through into his skin, and hence blood stream. Whoever it was needs to coma and work in our lab where latex gloves were used until H&S said we can't. The acetone made the gloves fall apart quite literally.

Maybe I should have been clearer. The Latex does not re-dissolve, it just breaks down and can be gradually removed, but as I and Pigsty said, the brush isn't much use for anything other than masking fluid application again.

I had the same brush I used for years in my previous modelling spat, just made sure it was cleaned after each use with cellulose thinners.

richc

I usually apply latex masking with a cocktail stick

In the past however I found that leaving the brush in white sppirit overnight turns the dried laytex into a water soluable jelly that cleans off with soap and hot water.

Sincerely

Richard McC

Would it not be safer/cheaper with the mention of some chemicals noted,

to pop along to £land and buy some cheap brushes for single usage?

Adrian

Yeah probably sensible really.

I usually apply latex masking with a cocktail stick

In the past however I found that leaving the brush in white sppirit overnight turns the dried laytex into a water soluable jelly that cleans off with soap and hot water.

Sincerely

Richard McC

Good tip. I use that for silicone sealant, didn't know it worked on Latex.

As usual BM teaches me something again.

rich

• 10 months later...

Hi,I,m a new boy and would like to introduce myself with this TIP.

Make up a strong solution of washing up liquid in a small bottle, one with a screw top is ideal,befor applying the masking fluid,dip your brush in this liquid,wipe off the excess then apply the masking fluid.

The brush can now be washed out and will be as good as new.

cheers and Merry Xmas