* Bristol Sycamore Mk.4

gengriz

Hi folks,

I'd like to join in with another Helo build, this time the Glencoe 1/72 Bristol Sycamore. This is a rather crude kit, not entirely to scale or proportion, and with some difficult areas (the rotor head in particular).

Mine doesn't have any transfers, so I will be using some form the spares box to try and build this aircraft from the SAR detachment at RAF Leuchars on the 1950s (although probably without the witch, which I believe is actually my dad during his National Service days):

FredT :)

witchsmall.jpg

Here are the raw materials. I don't intend to diverge far from what is provided; quite honestly I don't think the base kit is good enough to put serious effort into it, but we shall see as we go along. At the very least it needs a winch, and I may take the rear doors off.

P1220026.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry folks, but due to a family bereavement, this one has taken a back seat for the last fortnight.

I did make a start and I will do a little more this evening. The basic cockpit has been assembled and is awaiting some detailing. The starboard cabin door has also been removed ready to fit the winch.

P2060027.jpg

Well, its amazing what you can do in an evening and afternoon, with a little peace and quiet.

The cockpit was joined last night, and a little Tippex applied to the seams:

P2070028.jpg

Then this morning, sanded down & washed, then the clear parts & undercarriage added. The roof transparency was missing, so I scratched one up from an old squash bottle (then coloured it blue with a magic marker).

P2070029.jpg

The winch is scratch built from stretched sprue.

P2070030.jpg

Not seen in these piccies, but the kit has also now been painted with a white base coat to reveal any surface faults, and to provide a base for the yellow topcoat(s)

P2070031.jpg

FredT :)

Heres one of the Weston ones with a Wessex just behind it to give some idea of size.

P5030049.jpg

and another of my dad's piccies which gives an idea of size:

rescue2-1.jpg

and some more Weston ones with a Bristol Belvedere behind:

P5060320.jpg

Think slightly smaller than a Lynx

Edited by gengriz

Well, I fear I am rapidly approaching the limits of my skills, my enthusiasm and the potential of the base kit here.

Some basic decals have been applied and she now awaits a little detail touching up and a top satin coat. After that I will declare stumps. Its different though!

P2150036.jpg

P2150034.jpg