EOS

Skii

Right

I know nothing about photography

I just want to make that clear.

I currently have a Fuji S5000, had it a couple of years, great camera, poo-poo batteries but on the whole a very rugged little thing. I've had a play with shutter priority settings but most of the time I've used it on auto. Took a couple of nice pics at farnborough last year but without a lens and due to the crowds I was mostly limited to static stuff.

I'd like to get a little more serious but just can't justify spending £400+ on an EOS 400, however I found this which looks much more reasonably priced and seems quite nice

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Fi..._300X/index.asp

Any thoughts on these more 'lightweight' EOS cameras? There doesn't appear to be an optical zoom rating on these cameras - do they have one ? (my Fuji has 10x)

cheers

J

You know that's a film camera , right? The LCD refers to the settings display rather than a reviewing screen.

That said, I used to own one pre-digital, and it took a great picture even with the 'plastic' kit lens that came with it. Until I got a wide-zoom for my 20D it was my weapon of choice for statics. Also incredibly lightweight and easy to use and gives you access to the entire Canon lens range should you so choose.

I think the digital equivalent would be the 350D.

Steve.

Edited by Bennygman

You know that's a film camera , right? The LCD refers to the settings display rather than a reviewing screen.

I think the digital equivalent would be the 350D.

Steve.

poo-poo - no I didn't :banghead:

lol - right so its the 350D - damn right it has to be digital !

cheers Steve :D

Skii, its cheap because it ain't a digital SLR, it's a good old fashioned 35mm film camera - the only clue is in the spec where it says film loading and film transport.

No zoom, probably a fixed focus 50-55mm lens. You get to pay extra for fancy zooms with SLR's whether they be film or digital.

peebeep

poo-poo - no I didn't :banghead:

lol - right so its the 350D - damn right it has to be digital !

cheers Steve :D

No worries mate, not sure if the 350D is still in production, but drop PHREAK a PM, it may be he has some second-hand ones around from people who've upgraded to newer models.

Just don't let him talk you into a 1D Mk3 because;

1. It'll cost a bomb

2. I'll be insanely jealous :D

Steve.

The zoom's dependent upon the lens on digital SLRs. The kit lens comes out at 18-55mm, which is probably roughly equivalent to 3x zoom? Just a guess from staring through it once or twice though... Don't skimp on lenses, as you'll end up spending more money, as I found out to my cost. Speak to Phreak, as he knows the things inside out. He seemed to rate my lens choice for a good quality, mid-budget pair, which is an EF-S 17-85mm IS USM for shorter range stuff, and an EF 70-300mm IS USM for the longer stuff. I'm sure someone said once that the 300mm lens was about the equivalent of a 12x zoom? DUnno..

Something to watch out for with "budget" DSLRs, is that they use the APS-C sensor, which causes a focal length multiple on EF-S lenses of 1.5x (I think?), so a 300mm focal length on a lens would equate to 450mm on a 35mm camera. The EF-S lenses are designed for APS-C, so there's no multiple. The IS part of the lens designation is Image Stabilisation, which is well worth the money. basically, it jiggles some of the lens elements around to compensate for camera movement, and can give you a few more stops before your pic blurs under most circumstances. The USM part stands for Ultra-Sonic Motor, which is a quiet, quick motor for focusing, and almost standard on all but the cheaper lenses in the range.

If you've got bags of money though, always go for an L series lens, which is the bestest glass for your Canon :wub:

Take a look on Ebay, i got a Canon 350D with 18-55mm lens and 256MB CF for £270.

It's mainly for taking astro pics attched to my scope, as this is the DSLR of choice for astrophotography, but as an all rounder its a cracking camera!

Edited by model_madness

the 400D is a bit more gorgeouser though, and I'm not 100% sure, but Canon might currently be offering a £50 cashback on your new camera. Check out Tesco.com, where I got my 400D from... sometimes they make a boo-boo, and with the £50 cashback on my kit, I got the camera for £350 net, and a spare lens into the bargain. Must eBay that atsome point ;)

Something to watch out for with "budget" DSLRs, is that they use the APS-C sensor, which causes a focal length multiple on EF-S lenses of 1.5x (I think?), so a 300mm focal length on a lens would equate to 450mm on a 35mm camera.

Which is great for a flying display because it boosts your apparent telephoto power, but sometimes a little frustrating in a crowded static park where you need the wider end.

IS (especially) and L are both worth it - but it's quite an investment. What I've found is that I could occasionally get a pin-sharp image with one of the plastic kit lenses, but IS and L certainly increase the number of occurences by a considerable factor.

Steve.

Which is great for a flying display because it boosts your apparent telephoto power, but sometimes a little frustrating in a crowded static park where you need the wider end.

IS (especially) and L are both worth it - but it's quite an investment. What I've found is that I could occasionally get a pin-sharp image with one of the plastic kit lenses, but IS and L certainly increase the number of occurences by a considerable factor.

Steve.

Aye, more lens swapping... wish I'd got 2 400Ds now :rolleyes: