Best Replacement for DeVilbiss Super'63?

dr_gn

Hello,

Could anyone recommend a replacement airbrush for my DeVilbiss Super ’63?

Mine is getting old, and spares are difficult or impossible to find these days, I am having to make certain spares to keep it in service. The ergonomics aren’t fantastic either (to an extent because of the spares I have to make i.e. diaphragm bits made out of the wrong material). Perhaps it’s about time it was retired.

I want something at least as capable, but not stupidly expensive. I was looking at the DeVilbiss Dagr – is this any good? Iwata also seem good, but which one?

Really, any suggestions and reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Dr_GN.

Edited by dr_gn

I think you would feel good with most double action airbrushes with a large cup and not too large nozzle. As usual, it´s more a question about cost. As long as you stay with known brands, you will not go wrong.

Good alternatives today would probably be Iwata Eclipse CS or HP-C, H&S Evolution, Grex XG, or Rich AB-300.

Without knowing more information on what you are painting I would suggest the H&S Evolution or the Iwata Ecipse CS as good general purpose brushes.

I've had a look at the DAGR, appears to have been made for (and marketed at) auto touch up work.

It has removable paint cups, but all the cups are large (1/4, 1/3 & 1/2 oz) and there is only one needle size available 0.35mm.

Price was reasonable, butild quality didn't look up to much and the one review I saw didn't really rate it and it looks likehe company that supplied it has now dropped it.

I have H&S and Iwata brushes listed in my airbrush catalogue if you want to compare specifications : little-cars Airbrush Catalogue

And they are on my stand at shows for people to try if you are at any of the UK shows we attend.

Hi DR-GN,

I use a Devilbiss 63 myself & works fine for me. have a number of service spares for it such as the air valve & service kit. Which bits are you after?

regards

Mark

Hello Mark,

By far the most problematic part for me is the main diaphragm which fits between the bottom of the trigger and the screw-in air valve (the thing the air hose attaches to). It is a flexible plastic dome shaped thing with a short brass plunger fitted in the middle. It is held in place by a corresponding domed brass plug which traps it up to the main body. The brass plunger on the diaphragm then passes through a hole in the brass plug. I believe it was replaced by a white plastic flexible disc with a steel pin through it. This was not however a direct replacement for mine, so I can't use that version.

The original flexible plastic dome cracked with age, allowing air to escape up into the main body. I've made several replacements out of plastic bags/mylar etc, but none really work very well: the flexibility of the material is critical to both the longevity of the part, the clearances of the air valve, and the feel of the trigger, so it's an important bit! If it fails during a job it's....not good.

If you've got some my problems would be largely solved!

Cheers,

Dr_GN.

Without knowing more information on what you are painting I would suggest the H&S Evolution or the Iwata Ecipse CS as good general purpose brushes.

I've had a look at the DAGR, appears to have been made for (and marketed at) auto touch up work.

It has removable paint cups, but all the cups are large (1/4, 1/3 & 1/2 oz) and there is only one needle size available 0.35mm.

Price was reasonable, butild quality didn't look up to much and the one review I saw didn't really rate it and it looks likehe company that supplied it has now dropped it.

I have H&S and Iwata brushes listed in my airbrush catalogue if you want to compare specifications : little-cars Airbrush Catalogue

And they are on my stand at shows for people to try if you are at any of the UK shows we attend.

Hello Paul, thanks for the reply.

The work I'm doing is on scale models: In no particular order: 1/144 airliners, 1/72 - 1/24 military model aircraft, (finishing and weathering), as well as 1/20 F1 cars. I'm mainly using Humbrol Enamels, Tamiya Acrylics and Johnsons Klear.

The reason I mentioned the DAGR was purely brand loyalty (sort of!).

To be honest, as far as airbrushes go, specs wouldn't mean much to me. I'd rather someone tell me a good one for the type of work I'm doing. When the '63 wants to play nicely I can get very good results with it (even given my limited painting skill), and in that respect I'd be happy with something of equal performance, but with greater consistency. Nothing less though!

I'd be happy to try one of yours at a show before a potential purchase. Do you go to any shows within an hour or so of Sheffield (Leeds, Doncaster, Nottingham etc)?

Cheers.

Hello Paul, thanks for the reply.

The work I'm doing is on scale models: In no particular order: 1/144 airliners, 1/72 - 1/24 military model aircraft, (finishing and weathering), as well as 1/20 F1 cars. I'm mainly using Humbrol Enamels, Tamiya Acrylics and Johnsons Klear.

The reason I mentioned the DAGR was purely brand loyalty (sort of!).

To be honest, as far as airbrushes go, specs wouldn't mean much to me. I'd rather someone tell me a good one for the type of work I'm doing. When the '63 wants to play nicely I can get very good results with it (even given my limited painting skill), and in that respect I'd be happy with something of equal performance, but with greater consistency. Nothing less though!

I'd be happy to try one of yours at a show before a potential purchase. Do you go to any shows within an hour or so of Sheffield (Leeds, Doncaster, Nottingham etc)?

Cheers.

Hi,

Shows I'm at in the early part of the year would be suitable are Milton Keynes on the 7th Feb and Huddersfield (not yet confirmed) on the 21st.

Quite a range of modelling, sounds like one of the H&S Evolution brushes would give you the flexibility you need, I can show you the differences when you try them.

Hope to see you at one or the other show.

Thanks,

Hi,

Shows I'm at in the early part of the year would be suitable are Milton Keynes on the 7th Feb and Huddersfield (not yet confirmed) on the 21st.

Quite a range of modelling, sounds like one of the H&S Evolution brushes would give you the flexibility you need, I can show you the differences when you try them.

Hope to see you at one or the other show.

Thanks,

Huddersfiled is not far away from me at all: what show is it?

Cheers,

Dr_GN

Show Details:

February 21st ~ IPMS Wakefield and Distictrict present 'Huddersfield 2010' to be held at the Huddersfield Sports Centre, Southgate, Huddersfield HD1 1TW. Licensed bar Hot/Cold fresh food available, Ample car parking available, Trade stands, details to be confirmed, Themed displays. Admission Adults £3.00, 14 's and under and OAP's £1.00, IPMS members on production of current membership card £1.00.

Contact ~ [email protected]

Ta,

Paul

Show Details:

February 21st ~ IPMS Wakefield and Distictrict present 'Huddersfield 2010' to be held at the Huddersfield Sports Centre, Southgate, Huddersfield HD1 1TW. Licensed bar Hot/Cold fresh food available, Ample car parking available, Trade stands, details to be confirmed, Themed displays. Admission Adults £3.00, 14 's and under and OAP's £1.00, IPMS members on production of current membership card £1.00.

Contact ~ [email protected]

Ta,

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for that, I will try to get to the Huddersfield show next month.

The models I build are all (more or less) a similar size despite the differing scales, the majority would fit in something like a shoe box, or that kind of size. Would this change your recommendation?

Cheers,

Guys,

I have decided to send my airbrush to "Restoration Supplies", who will machine my existing body to enable the latest design of air valve to be fitted. They will also replace the needle, and all rubber items with solvent proof Teflon, clean and test it, all for a very reasonable sum, much lower than a new airbrush. Hopefully it will then outlast me.

Cheers,

Dr_GN.

Oddly enough I was going to tell you about them, I bought some Magic Sculp off them after seeing Mikes use of it in his wessex, they have an evilbay presence as well.

Sent my Super '63 on Wednesday - got it back this morning (Saturday).

Latest air valve fitted, cleaned, serviced and tested for £58. They did a superb job.

www.restorationsuplies.co.uk

Cheers,

Dr_GN.

• 6 years later...

Everything airbrush in Poole, Dorset, have bought the Aerograph name and are once again producing nozzles, needles, caps etc for the range of Devilbis airbrushes. It's good to know they are once again being made to Devilbis standard, They are excellent and very competitively priced.

https://www.everythingairbrush.com/airbrush-spares/aerograph-spares.html

• 1 year later...

I've got an old devilbiss aerograph super 63. I dug it out from the garage a couple of weeks back and have been using it with propellant can. It seems to give good coverage with thinned down paint. I have now ordered a AS18 compressor and looking forward to trying it with compressor later this week. It obviously has the has the fine flow needle/nozzle set up with original (1987) washer. I've looked at getting a replacement washer for the nozzle and seen that there are both rubber and PTFE washers available. which would be the best choice. I use acrylic paints with eitherr Tamiya or Humbrol acrylic thinners.

I have also found that Tamiya thinners has worked better with Humbrol paint and Humbrol with Vallejo. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete, I have been using DeVilbiss 63 for a while & it’s a great airbrush. Both washer material is good for acrylics like TAMIYA but PTFE will be more user friendly in case you wanted to use enamels & celluose based paints. cleaning is better as you can use stronger solvents in cleaning.

I have sent you a pm on the washers.

regards

Mark 😉