38 replies to this topic

#21 walrus

walrus

Completely Obsessed Member

• Banned
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

Hmmm
wonder if Airfix will retire the old kit soon and pop a new tool onto the market

couple of nice builds there chaps!

#22 Dave Fleming

Dave Fleming

• Members
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

Hmmm
wonder if Airfix will retire the old kit soon and pop a new tool onto the market

They would be as well re-popping the MPM kit, like they did with the Pucara/Meteor etc - the MPM kit is nice.

#23 Test Graham

Test Graham

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

I remember Les Whitehouse (of the BP Museum and that Defiant article fame) telling me that one Czech Defiant Mk.II was wrong because they had followed the manual dimensions and so made it the same length as the Mk.I. He knew that another Czech company was going to do a Defiant Mk.II to the correct length. I no longer recall which company...... If anyone has both marks from MPM/SH perhaps he could let us know how the length compares?

#24 Nick Millman

Nick Millman

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

Probably the first conversion I ever did! I used the Airwaves replacement resin nose, the Aeroclub prop and spinner, the Falcon Clearvax canopy and turret (guns robbed from a Frog Blenheim), Airwaves etched brass set (heavily butchered to make anything fit) and scratchbuilt fin/rudder and rear decking.
Not the best pic in the world, but for my sins, here it is:
Posted Image

At the time, it was pretty much the only option. Now I have several MPM kits, along with a Pavla and CMK example. I'm not sure the cost and effort is worth it these days. That said, I still have an Airfix Defiant lying about somewhere, and if I ever find the necessary parts for cheap, I may well be tempted to try to do better. I've certainly learnt a lot since doing that kitbash!

I like the look of your colours very much - and the overall finish. Very convincing. And at the end of the day it is an excellent result with an Airfix classic.

#25 The Wooksta!

The Wooksta!

This week, Zoltar is mostly the Soup Dragon.

• Members
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

I remember Les Whitehouse (of the BP Museum and that Defiant article fame) telling me that one Czech Defiant Mk.II was wrong because they had followed the manual dimensions and so made it the same length as the Mk.I. He knew that another Czech company was going to do a Defiant Mk.II to the correct length. I no longer recall which company...... If anyone has both marks from MPM/SH perhaps he could let us know how the length compares?

CMK did a resin Defiant and then Pavla followed with one of their ill fitting horrors*, so i suspect he meant that one. MPM brought out their superb kit after that and did a mk II which had a different fuselage. I suspect theirs is more accurate, especially as they have several people here in the UK doing research for them.

Lasemonkey, that is top notch. Looks bang on and I would never have guessed it was the Airfix kit had you not sad so.

*I was given one of these part built - largely complete but sans u/c, prop and exhausts. Still tempted to finish it in Bomber Command colours as a gunnery trainer with one of the Lancaster squadrons.

#26 Dave Fleming

Dave Fleming

• Members
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:51 PM

MPM brought out their superb kit after that and did a mk II which had a different fuselage. I suspect theirs is more accurate, especially as they have several people here in the UK doing research for them.

From memory, Les Whitehouse is credited in the MPM instructions

#27 Bill Clark

Bill Clark

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

Canovax? The Marshes, Brian and Brenda (or was it Marshall)? I do recall something like that as well

Marsh! I'll ask them! Both are regular members of the Medway Modelling Club...

#28 diamant

diamant

Established Member

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

Hi to all.

I am taking notes of your comments on this subject since the Boulton Paul Definat will probably be our main project for 2011. (I made a pre selection of 20 aircrafts). :-)

Cheers
Santiago

#29 Obi-Jiff Kenobi

Obi-Jiff Kenobi

Some say he believes Star Wars is a documentary...

• Members
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

That should make for an interesting subject.

Obi-Jiff :fish:

#30 Deon

Deon

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:23 PM

There's also a replacement resin nose and fuselage from someone or other, no idea who by though, I have one in my Defiant box, waiting for the day.

#31 Doug

Doug

Doug

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

Hi to all.

I am taking notes of your comments on this subject since the Boulton Paul Definat will probably be our main project for 2011. (I made a pre selection of 20 aircrafts). :-)

Cheers
Santiago

Is this for a group build Santiago???

Doug.

#32 johnnyboy

johnnyboy

Established Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Hmmm

couple of nice builds there chaps!

As Corgi and Airfix are now under control of Hornby I think it will be more than likely, The Spitfire Mk X1X has already been released in both diecast and plastic and now Mk 1 also due later in the year again in both formats it would seem that CAD designs are being used by both company's. Corgi have already released news of a new Defiant
http://www.flying-ti..._Catalogue.html

#33 walrus

walrus

• Banned
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

trouble is it will have panel lines like the Grand Union Canal if they do that :doh:

#34 Doug

Doug

Doug

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:37 PM

Hi Paul,

Yes but these can be dealt with, it's the corrected shape(s) that's important as far as I am concerned. the present kit is so far out making it into a decent replica is very difficult indeed even with a box full of resin parts and several sheets of plastic card! It seems that I am not the only one who has banana shaped fuselage halves so must be a problem with the moulds.

Doug.

#35 walrus

walrus

• Banned
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

That's true Doug- though one can always hope that you don't have to fill in trenches :pray:

the present kit is so far out making it into a decent replica is very difficult indeed even with a box full of resin parts and several sheets of plastic card

After all that is there anything of the original kit left? :lol:

Edited by walrus, 17 January 2010 - 02:53 PM.

#36 Doug

Doug

Doug

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:10 PM

After all that is there anything of the original kit left? :lol:

Exactly, Lol. :lol:

Doug.

Edited by Doug, 17 January 2010 - 08:11 PM.

#37 ta152h

ta152h

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:10 AM

Doug. i have the Airwaves resin nose and the Scale models 1980 mag regarding the Defiant , yours if you want em.

Do you still have the resin nose or has it gone?

#38 NZKIWI

NZKIWI

Established Member

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:03 PM

The problem with most of the aftermarket bits such as the Airwaves resin and Falcon canopies , is that they are made to fit the Airfix kit which is fundamentaly flawed . The fuselage is far too narrow , simple test to illustrate this is that the Airfix Defiant turret canopy fits inside the Halifax one .

#39 chadders

chadders

I am nobody. Nobody is perfect, therefore I must be perfect

• Banned
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:24 AM

I THINK our own Mike Williams (Mike on here), did a really good conversion using the Spitfire nose. I remember it being detailed on some forum or another and I used it as a basis when I did my BPD a few years ago. I also used the Airwaves etched set,
Mark