Airfix 1/72 Boulton Paul Defiant

Doug

MPM brought out their superb kit after that and did a mk II which had a different fuselage. I suspect theirs is more accurate, especially as they have several people here in the UK doing research for them.

From memory, Les Whitehouse is credited in the MPM instructions

Hi to all.

I am taking notes of your comments on this subject since the Boulton Paul Definat will probably be our main project for 2011. (I made a pre selection of 20 aircrafts). :-)

Cheers

Santiago

Hi to all.

I am taking notes of your comments on this subject since the Boulton Paul Definat will probably be our main project for 2011. (I made a pre selection of 20 aircrafts). :-)

Cheers

Santiago

Is this for a group build Santiago???

Doug.

Hmmm

wonder if Airfix will retire the old kit soon and pop a new tool onto the market

couple of nice builds there chaps!

As Corgi and Airfix are now under control of Hornby I think it will be more than likely, The Spitfire Mk X1X has already been released in both diecast and plastic and now Mk 1 also due later in the year again in both formats it would seem that CAD designs are being used by both company's. Corgi have already released news of a new Defiant

http://www.flying-tigers.co.uk/acatalog/Ne..._Catalogue.html

Hi Paul,

Yes but these can be dealt with, it's the corrected shape(s) that's important as far as I am concerned. the present kit is so far out making it into a decent replica is very difficult indeed even with a box full of resin parts and several sheets of plastic card! It seems that I am not the only one who has banana shaped fuselage halves so must be a problem with the moulds.

Doug.

That's true Doug- though one can always hope that you don't have to fill in trenches :pray:

the present kit is so far out making it into a decent replica is very difficult indeed even with a box full of resin parts and several sheets of plastic card

After all that is there anything of the original kit left? :lol:

Edited by walrus

• 1 month later...
Doug. i have the Airwaves resin nose and the Scale models 1980 mag regarding the Defiant , yours if you want em.

Do you still have the resin nose or has it gone?

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with most of the aftermarket bits such as the Airwaves resin and Falcon canopies , is that they are made to fit the Airfix kit which is fundamentaly flawed . The fuselage is far too narrow , simple test to illustrate this is that the Airfix Defiant turret canopy fits inside the Halifax one .

I THINK our own Mike Williams (Mike on here), did a really good conversion using the Spitfire nose. I remember it being detailed on some forum or another and I used it as a basis when I did my BPD a few years ago. I also used the Airwaves etched set,

Mark