Revell Tornado nose (1/72)

Skii

Are we talking about the newer GR.1 kit?.

I thought that was one of the better representations of the Tornado.

Oh it is - its a fantastic kit, but the nose is sadly wrong. The Tornado nose is made from 2 conical shapes, one on top of another, wheras the nose in the revel kit is just a single cone shape ( although a bit more rounded than my crap drawing :o ).

Tornadonosecone.JPG

I don't know what it is with the nose on the Tonka, almost everyone manages to stuff it up (Hasegawa is the worse), I think the best attempt at the contours was, ironically, the Monogram kit from the early 80s.

I may have a spare PP Aeroparts original nose if you want one Ski, along with a few other bits and pieces.

I don't know what it is with the nose on the Tonka, almost everyone manages to stuff it up (Hasegawa is the worse), I think the best attempt at the contours was, ironically, the Monogram kit from the early 80s.

I may have a spare PP Aeroparts original nose if you want one Ski, along with a few other bits and pieces.

I'd be very interested if you'd care to have a rummage Jonathan :) thanks mate !

Are we talking about the newer GR.1 kit?.

I thought that was one of the better representations of the Tornado.

What we need is another "...whats in the box & whats it like" thread about 1/72 Tonkas me thinks.

Well i'd happily offer my PP Aeroparts tornado nose for someone to recast if i could get a couple for a reasonable price as well.

Problem with that is that Flightpath now own the intellectual property in the former PP range, including the nose. You could try asking them if they would supply it separately, but I have been singularly unsuccessful in getting a response to (polite) emails asking similar question about another product in their range

Edited by Dave Fleming

What we need is another "...whats in the box & whats it like" thread about 1/72 Tonkas me thinks.

Good Idea - I'm on it.

Jonathan - PM inbound mate.

Problem with that is that Flightpath now own the intellectual property in the former PP range, including the nose. You could try asking them if they would supply it separately, but I have been singularly unsuccessful in getting a response to (polite) emails asking similar question about another product in their range

...additionally the PPAeroparts/Flightpath GR1 nose is designed to fit the Hasegawa Tornado - I've seen one grafted on to the Revell GR1 and it looks too chunky - in fact only marginally better than the kits original. Drewe may well be on here later to explain how, but on his GR1's he simply sanded the second lower(?) curve on....it looked pretty damn accurate to me!!

What we need is another "...whats in the box & whats it like" thread....

Good Idea - I'm on it.

I can contribute sprue shots of the Monogram example, plus the Revell Saudi IDS which is rumoured to be based on the same kit...

b50c_1.jpg

And there's some KitBits stuff (including nose cones) on eBay at the moment

Edited by Dave T

Ahh i didn't know flightpath had taken over the PP range. Thanks for the info Dave.

Gotta agree with what Bill has said there, with the Revell Fin the premier 72nd kit isn't it about time we had some aftermarket stuff for it?

Ahh i didn't know flightpath had taken over the PP range. Thanks for the info Dave.

Gotta agree with what Bill has said there, with the Revell Fin the premier 72nd kit isn't it about time we had some aftermarket stuff for it?

...its also worth checking out Airwaves stuff (from Hannants)......

• 1 month later...

I do have an very early prototype of Monogram which should have the better nose for the Tornado. I'm currently building the Tornado prototypes and later on the production versions so will make a muuld of silicone rubber, and use that for my later Tornado's. If anyone wants an nose feel free to PM me. I do not know what it would cost in producing it. I use Polyesther for it. :speak_cool:

So far I have the following Tornado's

1st up is from Esci which I turn in to an german AF Tornado. Just straight from the box, and from that I took the seats and wheels for the later Italeri MRCA Tornado of wich I have to build 2 one other for an friend.

After those 2 I start the pre production Tornado in the German AF markings. That model is of Monogram. After that Hasagawa GR-1 and F-3.

Edited by Eric2020