11 Squadron Typhoon

Gary C

Hi guys,

I've been busting to do an 11 squadron Typhoon since they first converted to them but have been waiting for decals. Revells new 1/72 Typhoon saved the day, and I got around to painting it last weekend and I'm now about 1/3 of the way through decaling. Beautiful little kit, a little tricky to assemble largely due to the complicated shape of the airframe, I decided to use it as a testbed for the new Humbrol acrylics.

The one downside I've found with acrylics in the past is the colour interpretations and the fact that most companies don't do a dead match for certain colours. The only ones that do are Gunze and Xtracolour, but neither are what you might call locally available. I saw the new Humbrol acrylics in the recent Airfix catalogue and was curious, especially as they follow the enamels in numbering and colours available. Best of all they should appear in my LHS as Hornby push out more stock although these were picked up off of Ebay. Usage wise it didn't go well for a start as I thinned them only with tap water and they came out a little gritty and rough. Switching to screenwash and adding a couple of drops of W&N flow improver fixed it and they went on nice and smooth and seem a lot like Vallejo. Onto the pics, hope you like it!

DSCN1671.jpg

DSCN1672.jpg

:pilot:

Gary

Is that model pre-shaded? *runs and hides*

:lol: No, post shaded, painted it barley grey and then just went back and forth with lighter and darker variations on the barley grey theme until it looked suitably patchy. I wasn't going to do any weathering assuming they were still shiny and new but looking at the Bear intercept pics I decided to break it up a bit.

Have to go some though to look as good as the F3's did :D

You mean Lightnings :P Got a soft spot for both 5 and 11 Squadron, I spent a week in their company at Binbrook about a year before they gave up the Lightnings for the F3's. Happy days!

Hi Gary,

Very nice! Coming along very well...Just love 11 Sqn markings too - maybe have to have a go at that for my second Typhoon? Your weathering is very neat - just right for my money...

Keep up the good work,

Geoff :pilot: