1:32 Hunters

Iain Ogilvie

Thanks Mark,

I'll assume this was common on the Khormaksar a/c and include in the model.

Don't suppose anyone has pix of the ADF loop aerial?

In further news - more silver on - this is what they look like before a little MicroMeshing:

180small140.JPG

180small141.JPG

Major masking session next...

Iain

I like the look of those, keep it coming!

Do you plan on discolouring some of the panels underneath in some way, in order to get that characteristically mucky fuselage? Or will these birds be fairly clean and well-kept?

Just noticed this thread... the Revell 1:32 Hunter really is quite nice. I've partially built it, even partially painted it, but then Mojo left. Haven't got the inclination to redo the paint on the underside as it's quite patchy. Need to re-think my approach to metal-ish paints. Also I can't do it Dutch anymore as I've just nicked the decals for 325 Sqr. to put on a 1:72 Vickers Wellington :P Talk about scale/size difference. Quite nice decals though :D

The Hunter still is a really gorgeous piece of flying machine and you are doing them a lot of justice. This thread just might get me started again (after the What-If GB of course)

lol you're right. Deep down I really do want to finish her... but the damn paint job...

Maybe I will take you up on your offer, but somehow I feel that an uber British plane like the Hunter should get British markings if/when I ever finish it. She seems odd in dutch or belgian colours. I'll let you know if I ever decide. This may take a while though :D

No problem - the decals are here if you want them :)

Actually - I think the Hunter looks good in all colours - and I quite fancy doing a Dutch and a Belgian one at some point.

The Hunter was one of Britain's most successful aircraft exports - and there's a shared airforce history - so I think very fitting to do a Dutch one :)

Iain

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ADF positions now gleaned from photos - as well as the FGA Mk 9 at Hendon - I now have enough info to sort once paint is complete.

So - in an attempt to have a short break from Lightnings I've just been masking the underside of the FGA Mk 9 with Tamiya Tape.

Quick coffee break - then the 6...

Iain

One step forward - two steps back...

Just peeled the masking off the FGA 9 - and did a double take on the colour - too light???

Just checked on the MDC site and it's H73 - Dark Green (UK) - but WW2!!

Would appear I needed H-330 Dark Green (UK) - FFS!!!!!!!

Oh well - at least I hadn't started the Mk 6...

Stay calm Og...

I do like the Gunze paint though - will have to order correct colour Monday.

Iain

One step forward - two steps back...

Just peeled the masking off the FGA 9 - and did a double take on the colour - too light???

Just checked on the MDC site and it's H73 - Dark Green (UK) - but WW2!!

Would appear I needed H-330 Dark Green (UK) - FFS!!!!!!!

Oh well - at least I hadn't started the Mk 6...

Stay calm Og...

I do like the Gunze paint though - will have to order correct colour Monday.

Iain

Hmm......Dark Green is Dark Green Iain. This basic colour hasn't changed, so the green used in 1939 SHOULD be the same shade as used in 1966 (materials aside).

I use Xtracrylic Dark Green - just right!

Sure it wasn't a deliberate mistake and the base coat for a faded upper camouflage weathering job? ;)

Hmmm...

Which leads me along path of another light pass with some slightly darker green...

Perhaps...

Hmm......Dark Green is Dark Green Iain. This basic colour hasn't changed, so the green used in 1939 SHOULD be the same shade as used in 1966 (materials aside).

I use Xtracrylic Dark Green - just right!

Just what I thought Bill - but this is definitely lighter in tone.

Looks better this morning but still needs darkening. As I was going to carefully spray a slight feathered edge freehand today - I may just try going over with a darker mix.

Anyone know if I can mix Tamiya black with the Gunze Paint (which has been thinned with Tamiya thinners)?

Iain

Yay...

Progress!

Gunze Dark Green darkened with a few drops of Tamiya Black - colour now looks spot on! :)

Tailplanes done as test and v. pleased with look.

Now to remask with rolls of blue tack - will prolly do F 6 first - then back to 9.

Thanks all for help and advice re Gunze paints :)

Iain

I'm in luuuurve... :wub:

Those Gunze paints spray superbly - heading for nicest RAF camouflage I've ever managed - just drying then off with underside masking - then black nose and tail panel.

Oh - and BiG thanks to Mentalguru - without his pointer o the Lightning mags in Smiths I wouldn't have spotted the BluTak and remembered I'd seen this used as a mask for 'fine overspray'.

Well - it worked a treat - me happy bunny.

Pix later (may even get some decals on! :) )

Iain

641 Dark Green is an exact match for wartime Dark Green (BS381C says so,) and Hawker used those non-existant, mythical flexible mats, for painting Hunters, so newly-built airframes should have hard-edged camouflage (they even employed a man, beyond retirement age, whose sole job was to polish out, using car polish, any overspray.)

Edgar

Thanks Edgar,

Makes sense and ties in with photographs. Would appear to be quite a lot of detail variation in pattern...

Both Hunters are nice and 'tight' in the demarcation stakes now :)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Cheers Bill,

Had noticed the differences - I guess production finish was one thing, what the MUs did was another?

Now think the grey may be a bit light - but again this varies with photo's - so I'm going to say sod it and crack on.

Black noses and fin panels done - and a coat (or three) of Xtracrylix gloss varnish.

Pleeeeze Mr Gunze - don't crack up on me now!!! :nono::fight:

Dying to get some decals on...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Thanks Dave...

On a late pass tonight as there's a talk on the Australian Flying Doctor service at the flying club - but may have a quick play when I get home if it's not too late.

Agree with your comment - so roundels first - then Sqn markings. Stencils and 'twiddly' bits can follow B)

Iain