1:32 Hunters

Iain Ogilvie

These have been stop/start for a while - but almost ready for paint now:

009models0020.JPG

Have lots of decal sheets for Hunters - but then I have another 6 Hunters in the stash to do at some point!

009models0024.JPG

F.Mk6 will be 56 Sqn from the Revell sheet - will use Aeromaster stencils and roundels.

009models0027.JPG

Tailpipe 'Alcladded'.

009models0028.JPG

Looks like a Hunter! Trying to get airframe flawless so I can get a neat final finish - polish, prime, fill, polish...

009models0022.JPG

Always had a fascination with ops in Aden during the sixties and the Kormaksar Strike Wing - with combined Sqn assets - in this case 8 and 208 Sqn markings. Silver undersides - not the grey quoted in the Aeromaster instructions!.

009models0023.JPG

Aeromaster sheet is a lot better than the XtraDecals sheet.

009models0025.JPG

Final filling - I found that some of the joints distorted a little over weeks as the Plasticweld dried - so a few 'sink marks' to fill - not kit induced!

009models0026.JPG

Tiny bit more prepping, some more Halfords primer and we should be good to do the camouflage...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Cheers guys - will hopefully get some paint on over next week, or so...

Oh - and before anyone asks - yes - I've glued the flaps in the 'up' position as that's the way they were normally seen - at least in most of the pix I have! Same with airbrake.

Iain

Very nice Iain!! Look forward to seeing these......

[/quot

I have built two of these, and they are my favourite all time builds - look out for the two seat conversion from fisher patterns , looks like a couple more kits will be purchaseed

as and when I find them. the mk 9 has now been deleted from the current catalouge - time for a Mk 4 prehaps?

also have been promised decal for the swiss machine with all the newsprint.

if anyone has a aeromaster sheet with the abu dhabi version they might be willing to part with I would be very intrested

regards

ROGERD

Thanks folks - making a little more progress tonight - may have more pix later...

Roger - am afraid I'm hoping to use my Abu Dhabi decals (it's a lovely scheme) on a later batch (along with a Fisher twin stick conversion to be ordered shortly) - but will keep an eye out...

Also - Air Vice Marshal George Black is a member of our flying club at RAF Halton and he flew F.Mk 5s - would like to do one of his mounts eventually.

I do rather like the Hunter - and kudos to Revell for doing these!

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Also - Air Vice Marshal George Black is a member of our flying club at RAF Halton and he flew F.Mk 5s - would like to do one of his mounts eventually.

Iain

Hi Iain,

I've a photo of AVM Black climbing aboard his Lightning F1a when he was Sqn.Leader of 111 Sqn....

Picture136.jpg

:innocent:

Brilliant - thanks Bill!

He's flown everything from Seahawks (Suez IIRC) to Lightnings. Hoping he might bring some pics down to the club one evening and give us a talk...

These days he's mostly to be seen flying the clubs Citabria.

I have a nice piccy I took at our Young Eagles Day in 2008 (where the club tries to give as many children as possible an air experience flight) - George is third down on l/h column - note the Lightning badges :)http://www.skywriters.net/wibble/youngeagles/youngeagles.htm

If I get brave enough to tackle a Trumpy Lightning (or two) I'm sure you can guess what one of the schemes will be :)

I believe his son Ian (also of Lightning and publishing fame) is now in the airline world - but not met him.

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

The Revell Hunter is an excellent kit, I really enjoyed the one I built.

One thing I have notised that after a few years the main U/C legs have started to "toe in" under the models weight, Maybe metal legs would be a better long term fix?

I'm tempted by the two seat conversion but need to get another Hunter kit first, should have got one from the Model Zone sale last year!

Shaun.

Brilliant - thanks Bill!

He's flown everything from Seahawks (Suez IIRC) to Lightnings. Hoping he might bring some pics down to the club one evening and give us a talk...

These days he's mostly to be seen flying the clubs Citabria.

I have a nice piccy I took at our Young Eagles Day in 2008 (where the club tries to give as many children as possible an air experience flight) - George is third down on l/h column - note the Lightning badges :)http://www.skywriters.net/wibble/youngeagles/youngeagles.htm

If I get brave enough to tackle a Trumpy Lightning (or two) I'm sure you can guess what one of the schemes will be :)

I believe his son Ian (also of Lightning and publishing fame) is now in the airline world - but not met him.

Iain

I also built "his" Suez Sea Hawk many years ago from the Falcon kit after reading an article in a Magazine...can't remember the Sqn., but it was I think based on HMS Albion and had a red fin! Looked colourful with its black and yellow stripes......

I think Ian is/or was a member here as he has posted at least once!!

Love his Lightning books.....

Well - I'm crossing everything on these - and prolly pulling an all nighter tonight ;)

Erm - jumper - well, er, we live in an old stone barn with more drafts than, well, a sieve really. It's been jolly cold last few weeks! So - multiple layers...

Not lost anything yet - apart from my marbles (if I ever had any!) ;)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Update - it's 2am and I'm modelled out for today...

Hunters have polished up nicely and airbrakes fitted. I think another quick blast of primer then we might start heading somewhere :)

Night, night all...

Iain

Hi Iain,

I've a photo of AVM Black climbing aboard his Lightning F1a when he was Sqn.Leader of 111 Sqn....

Picture136.jpg

:innocent:

He also appeared in an episode of Doctor Who! There's a one second piece of stock footage of XM184 in episode 2 of The Daemons from 1971. The film is from early '63 or previous as the aircraft has yet to get the scheme it's wearing above.

Zoltar now returns you to the topic in hand. Beautiful Hunters!

Thanks for everyone's input! :)

Now - paint...

Wondering if I should do silver first then camouflage - or vice versa?

Thinking of using Tamiya rattle can for silver - does it cope with Tamiya tape without damage?

Thoughts/input anyone?

Iain

I've always been of the belief that you work from the skin color outwards. NMF first then the color...this allows for better representation of scuffing and scratching to replicate wear on the paint that reveals the metal underneath. In larger scales it becomes most obvious when someone dabs a little silver over the color to weather in paint wear and tear.

I've been wanting to do Hunter for some time. Scored an original release of the 1:32 kit lat a local store for its original price! I only wish they had more of them I would have taken all they had. Some time ago I was able to pickup the KMC resin seat at a club raffle. It has been in my stash and I dug it out just the other night as I was working on the kit. Now I think I need to find the TD complete cockpit set as well as an instrument panel decal if there is one.

EAA's AirVenture Museum is going to be unveiling a scale model exhibit in late March. I am loaning several of my kits for the year long exhibit, including this Hunter I am currently working on to have ready in time. I was thinking of doing it in the markings of the one they have in their collection, which was part of the Combat Jets Museum collection. This aircraft flew at several of the AirVenture (Oshkosh) when it and the other pieces of the collection were donated to EAA. The late "Hoot" Gibson had to give it or flying the Space Shuttle...he took the latter. Sadly this wonderful aircraft sits outdoors and rots with the rest of the Combat Jets collection. :deadhorse::angrysoapbox.sml:

redhunterldg.jpg

redhunterpk.jpg

Either that or one with markings from the Dutch Air Force which I'd see fly over almost everyday while I lived in the Netherlands back in the late sixties. I need to decide soon. :confused: The clock is ticking on this.

UPDATE: This aircraft has been sold to an individual almost a year ago. The Foundation is waiting for the new owner to pickup the aircraft (or fly it ) to take it to a restoration facility. The owner is going to start to accrue storage fees if he doesn't remove it soon.

I wish they would have just built an additional wing to the museum to display these Cold War aircraft, there was even people willing to raise the capital but the foundation didn't want to hear of it. :o(

Edited by Hawkeye's Hobbies

• 1 month later...

Whats the latest Hawkeye?

Well - on my build front progress has been positively glacial - which is actually quite fortunate!

With the release of Paul Fishers T.Mk 7 conversion there's been a thread following a superb build (clicky) and TheModeller has pointed out the error in the ailerons on the FGA Mk 9 wings. I really hadn't noticed before - but they taper when they should be constant chord (Revell have fixed this on the F.Mk 6 kit).

In fact - at first I have to admit I didn't believe him - but here's the proof:

MkIV040.JPG

FGA.Mk 9 at left - F.Mk 6 right!

Nothing some filler and a re-scribe won't fix!

In mean-time I've been polishing out all those little imperfections ready for some silver paint on the undersides:

MkIV037.JPG

MkIV039.JPG

MkIV043.JPG

MkIV038.JPG

MkIV036.JPG

Hopefully paint in next few weeks...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

• 1 month later...

In shock news - Og makes some headway again...

Have bitten the bullet (well, aeileron actually) and filled the incorrect hinge line on the FGA Mk 9 with superglue - then sanded flush. A litle Revell filler to make sure no pin holes (have they changed the formula on this in recent years?) and we're ready to mark up and re-scribe in correct locations this time.

May actually get some paint on at the w/e!

Iain