Trumpy 1/32nd Buccaneer!

rob

Over on LSP, Trumpys Mr Song has posted a tantalising picture Quiz photo

It turns out that it's a Buccaneer noseleg given that LSP is 32nd or larger it looks like a Big Brick to join the Big Jag is coming soon.....

Regards Rob.......

He posted it here as well Rob but good to know it's on LSP, as you say, increases the likelihood it's 32nd scale.

Now, who's gonna be first to slate it for inaccuracies?

Now, who's gonna be first to slate it for inaccuracies?

How would we know? That [misbegotten] [dear]* old thing looks as though it's been built in two different scales already!

* delete according to preference

Was it really known as the Brick? The writer of the big piece in Wings of Fame seemed quite pained by the idea and claimed it had been invented by a journalist.

The term 'Brick' comes from it's flying abilities on take off and approach if you lose an engine. Because of the blown flap system, it rapidly loses the will to fly.

The same epithet has been applied to the Lightning, in the days before the crabs got to fly Blackburn's finest. It won't stay in the air if you lose power.

The term 'Brick' comes from it's flying abilities on take off and approach if you lose an engine. Because of the blown flap system, it rapidly loses the will to fly.

The same epithet has been applied to the Lightning, in the days before the crabs got to fly Blackburn's finest. It won't stay in the air if you lose power.

Nobody I ever knew in the mob who'd worked on them ever referred to them as anything but "Bucc's" or "Buccaneers", the only people I've ever heard refer to them as "Bricks" are enthusiasts/modellers. Likewise the Tornado, none of the ex Tornado boys I worked with referred to it as anything but the "Tonka" or "Tornado", again, the only people I'd ever heard call the Tornado the "Fin" are enthusiasts/modellers.

Wez

Edited by Wez

Nobody I ever knew in the mob who'd worked on them ever referred to them as anything but "Bucc's" or "Buccaneers", the only people I've ever heard refer to them as "Bricks" are enthusiasts/modellers. Likewise the Tornado, none of the ex Tornado boys I worked with referred to it as anything but the "Tonka" or "Tornado", again, the only people I'd ever heard call the Tornado the "Fin" are enthusiasts/modellers.

Wez

When the 31 Sqn's "Torna**holes" arrived in Germany at Bruggen with the wind down of the Jag we referred to them as the flying fin or flying flick knives on the Jag Squadrons I was on. Station went Tornado potty, renaming the Lounge Bar come bop the Tornado rooms etc....... enough to make a grown man vomit.

Edited by TonyT

Not heard that one before, you could loose one engine on the take off roll and still manage to get airborne in a Lightning, having no asymmetric problems loosing an engine in flight or on approach didn't spell impending doom, in fact some flight profiles called for shutting down one engine to conserve fuel and extend sortie times.

As for the 1/32 Bucc it looks awesome!!!.

Regards,

JB.

The term came from the Lightning's reluctance to glide.

As for the Bucc, the early Gyron (under)powered version was a real handful when in 'blown' mode if you lost an engine.

The pilots used to come out of the simulator with a real sweat on.

I should hope there aren't any rivets on the Bucc. Most of it was machined from the solid.

Looks a nice kit. I passed on the Lightning, but I may be tempted here, especially if it comes with a flush bomb door.

DSC_1080.jpg

I'll leave you to figure out the scale; can't see too many rivets, which will upset some.

Edgar

Judging from the hand, this looks to be 1/48 not 1/32? I need to go home and pick up my Airfix models to confirm, but that looks like quarter scale at first glance. That's a load of detail for the smaller, large scale!

Finally the day has come! This is the only kit that I can truly say I will pay full retail for no matter what the cost.

Edgar, you appear to have been holding out! Perhaps mercifully though as history suggests it may be a few years before this hits the market. This is going to be a tough waiting period for me, but I am glad that this kit is being met with the new approach to pre-production critique that the Jaguar seems to have introduced. We will have to wait and see how that process bears fruit, but I think it will help avoid some of the disappointment that came with the Lightning and, apparently, the Tornado.

Most happy days on the horizon indeed!

- Jack

omg :analintruder: omg :analintruder: omg :analintruder: omg :analintruder: omg

i think i just wet myself!!!!

just seen this and to quote victor meldrew "i dont believe it" that looks like possibly the best kit in the world!!

i grabbed my now nearly finished airfix buccaneer ,held it at the same angle,and without any technical assessment ,would bet that this is 1/48th scale ,not 1/32nd

i am scratchbuilding a 1/32nd one and its massive!!! i certainly couldn't lift it with a few fingers at that angle (its made out of about a ton of car body filler/ronsil woodfiller)

so still holding my breath on that one.

i cant see any areas so far which need modifying or improving ,and if they put that level of detail in the kit ,then they may just have ruined it for the aftermarket companies!!!

hopefully trumpeter get this one right,buccaneer was generally flush riveted all over ,except a few areas ,so more is less in this case,still plenty of areas this could fall down on.

the buccaneer was massively modified throughout its service life

this is going to bankrupt me!! :frantic:

Edited by buccy mad

Wow. Either 48 or 32 scale, this one has really gotten my attention. I have loved the Bucc for a long time and to see a new model with the available tech today (I'm tearing up here... hankerchief please) that should be a real fun build. The current 48 Airfix kit has it's challenges, but I have been enjoying it so far.

Waiting, isn't that one thing that modeling is supposed to help us get better at... Patience, patience, patience. UGH

Just compared the pic with a fuselage upper half from the Airfix 1/48th kit - and it does look to be similar in size - but this is most likely only(!) a resin test shot (as per the Jagular), so could theoretically be in any scale. I seem to remember everyone getting excited about Airfix having a 1/48th scale TSR2 when the 1/72nd scale model was announced?

Mr Song has posted this on Large Scale Planes - and they only "deal" in 1/32nd or larger - so my dosh is on it being in 1/32nd scale - and Hobbyboss doing it in 1/48th - and Trumpeter in 1/72nd.......

AND I do wish that they would dispense with the gimmicky stuff! Rotating bomb-bay? Exposed engine bay? Leave that to the aftermarket/scratch-builder and bring the price down!

But bring 'em on nonetheless!!!!