The Black Project Discussion

song

STEP THREE. ANY OPINION IN THE WEAPON? No one want WB.177 :Tasty:

Hello Mr Song

Thank you for making this model available. It will be very popular.

The Buccaneer has had a few weapons and I'm sure there will be a comprehensive list along shortly but it might depend on the scale. If its 1/48th then there are some weapons already covered elsewhere but I'm sure someone will identify ones that could be improved or are not generlly available. If it's 1/32nd (please!!!) the currently available weapons are not so wide.

The nuclear weapons it was designed for - Red Beard/ Green Cheese required their own fairings on the bomb bay door and thankfully they were rarely carried.

A popular weapon was the British 1000lb bomb because it had very reliable flight characterisitics and so could be dropped accurately on targets.

The Sea Eagle and the earlier Martel missiles have been done quite well in 1/48th.

We generally don't get the practice bomb carrier (CBLS 100/200) that could hold 28lb and 4 lb practice bombs in any scale even though they were in use a lot.

Some well executed 250gal slipper tanks and the flight refuelling buddy pack would be most welcome.

Edited by Plastic Bonsai

J

The test shot is 1/48th. ......But thats nothing new. Airfix produced a 1/48th scale resin master/test shot for their 1/72nd scale TSR2 way before they announced the 1/48th TSR2

Resin masters can be in any size......and any scale model can result!

If they are masters or test shots it WILL 48 scale.

However, if its an invert of the CAD/CAM files to allow machining in resin to allow checking at a more manageable size, the finished scale could be different - they can output at any scale they choose and it MAY not be indicative of the final scale of the moulds.

48 scale may have been chosen for this and the Airfix TSR-2, because its a true engineering scale and its easier to work in.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Very impressive detailing. Hopefully we will see the cockpit and top surface soon.

Robert

Robert go back to the first post he has added the pics of the cockpit in this thread

Edited by TonyT

Robert go back to the first post he has added the pics of the cockpit in this thread

Thanks for pointing us back to that, I'd not seen the edited first post!

I for one am very glad to see Mr Song getting involved with this and other internet forums. Hopefully involving enthusiasts at an early stage will help to avoid glaring errors from being incorporated into production tooling. We know how good Trumpeter can be when they get things right, such as the Wellingtons and Hurricanes. Some other releases have been disappointing in their accuracy, I would rather be able to offer constructive comment at an early stage of development, than to be critical of a finished product,

Cheers,

Bill.

Couple of pic,s of the practice ordnance used Song, first two from my own collection.

3KG

3kgPraccopy.jpg

14KG

Museum_Pictures_006copy.jpg

And the CBLS...Carrier bomb light stores...

CBLS.jpg

Hugh.

Hello sir, do you had more info about Carrier bomb light stores?

Edited by song

Oh, how nice it would be if it was in 1/48! I´ve been wanting a Buccaneer for a long time, but don´t feel up to wrestling the Airfix one. Pair it up with a Scimitar in 1/48 and I´ll buy whole squadrons of them.

Hi Mr Song

After compairing the shots of the engine and interiour of the radome etc with photo's it all looks amazingly accurate. Another link for the help with information on the CBLS pod is shown below with the details of Cobhams media relations who may be able to help you further.

http://www.cobham.com/media/96157/313%20-%...bomb%20rack.pdf

Other common stores carried by RAF aircraft include;

AIM-9 (L or G) Sidewinder (one carried)

ALQ-101 ECM pod (one carried)

AVQ-23E Pave Spike (one carried)

SNEB rocket pod

Sea Eagle anti-shipping missile

AS37 anti-radar Martel missile

AJ138 TV Martel missile

Paveway II 1000lb LGB

1000lb GP Bomb

Hope this helps. :winkgrin:

Muzz

Mr Song I have been sent a message on another site which is below

The model is stunning but at the risk of being picky, the radar looks wrong. The scanner drive boards behind the aerial were quite short in proportion. Also there were 2 visible "orange segment shaped" LRUs at the front; the starboard side was the power supply and the port side the Target Marker Computer. These are best online photos I could find.

http://www.apss.org.uk/projects/APSS_proje...ction/index.htm

SELEX at Edinburgh also have one in their foyer

regards

retard

hope that helps :)

Edited by TonyT

Very pleasing to the eyes Mr. Song. Here are some intitial thoughts I have on matters.

The Navigator's windscreen appears a bit too semi-circular in these photos. I should be somewhat sharper of a turn:

art1.jpg

screen.jpg

By the way, that is the Martel display situated between the Nav's legs in the first picture above - applicable to most S.2Bs and S.2Ds.

The air scoop forward of the bomb bay and off to the starboard a bit seems a bit off in shape. It should be more circular in cross section and with a more gradual slope in profile.

vents-1.jpg

vent2.jpg

Difficult to say form the few photos, but some on my commitee (so to speak) have expressed some concerns about the shape of the nose cone and canopy rail. The canopy itself is a very tricky shape that is not well represented in the 1/48 Airfix kit - it does have a bit of a blown appearance and the rail is not exactly straight.

canopy.jpg

and the nose profile:

noseprofile.jpg

I agree with the post below about the fairing - the step appears a bit pronounced:

fairing.jpg

As to weapons I would like to emphasize the importance of the TV Martel to the 70s 12 Squadron inventory and point out that it has never really been offered except in a fairly shabby rendition in the 1/72 Airfix kit. The data pod for the TV Martel is a must for this option as well. While a nuclear weapon option is pretty cool - a TV Martel option would actually be more representative of what was done with the machine in the 70s. AR Martel soldiered on into the 90s and is a big player in the Buccaneer weapons inventory as well.

Overall, the project looks to be quite well done. I will share more thoughts as they come up. Thanks for the opportunity to comment!!

- Jack Wade

Edited by wadeocu

Sorry, TonyT, it looks as though His Nibs usual offensive language has got your thread closed down; suppose he'll go to bed with a smile on his face, now. I just have to wonder what sort of kick someone can get out of being so incessantly obnoxious.

Edgar