Airfix 1/72 Fokker Dr1

Grant

OK finally got started.

Here is the Dr1 kit from the Airfix 90years of fighters boxing. I have decided to 'busy up' the cockpit as the pilot may not end up in it.

New floor added to cover that horrible centre seam. Side walls framed using plastrut and my daughters hair. rudder pedals are 1/24 NASCAR windscreen clips.

pic_1.jpg

pic_2.jpg

Seat is an old Beaufort seat cut down with some littlecars mesh stuck to it to make it look like wicker. First resin copy is out of the mold and being painted up.

pic_3.jpg

cheers

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

Wandering through the local wood shop last weekend, I came across these packs of venner off cuts, £6 for a whole bunch of colours. Hmm, I thought, I feel a wooden propeller coming on.

5 strips of wood glued together to back a rough billet, then sanded it with paper and a Tescos nail file/board thingy.

I reckon this will look just the job on the front.

cheers

Grant

pic_4.jpg

Think you ought to let your daughter know about all those Roden Gotha's you've just bought though :rolleyes:

I am confused. I haven't bought any Gothas - that I am aware of. Though I have just got some Lycra thread to give that a go, as my daughter goes off to Uni. in a couple of weeks.

cheers

Grant

I am confused. I haven't bought any Gothas - that I am aware of. Though I have just got some Lycra thread to give that a go, as my daughter goes off to Uni. in a couple of weeks.

cheers

Grant

Just me being daft Grant. You said on your first post that you'd used some of your daughters hair to detail your DR1. I was trying to imagine the look on her face when you appeared with an armful of Gotha's and a pair of scissors ^_^

Gary.

Gary - that's a relief , although I do have a Brisfit and an RE8 waiting...

Tango - I did try and be nice and wait for her to wash hair then brush it, so I could raid the hairbrush. But one day she just walked into the modeling room, went OW! and gave me a clump of hair! Daft sausage.

As for doing this at 1/72 - I don't know, I didn't plan this. There are times when I start a kit, and the mood just takes, and I have to do all the extra bits - you know?

I blame all the excellent stuff that appears on Britmodeller. Sometimes it is depressingly good, other times - you just got to give it a go.

cheers

Grant

• 5 weeks later...

Well it is finally in the paint shop! (My time has been taken up building clocks for some special birthdays recently.)

The 10 control 'horns' survived the spraying, so looking forward to putting on the control wires next.

cheers

Grant

pic_5.jpg

Started the rigging. The lycra thread is so elastic there is no way it can be threaded through any holes, without a little help.

A small loop of hair is used to pull it through the wing...

pic_6.jpg

Then some drops of CA to hold it in place and then veeeerrryyyy carefully cut off the excess and the ailerons are rigged!

pic_7.jpg

Now for the rudder and elevators...

cheers

Grant

• 5 weeks later...

OK, progress - well finished actually!

Here is a close up of the rigging of the rear end. 3 separate bits of thread and a new, wooden, tailskid.

pic_8.jpg

Here is the finished artical, with wooden wingtip skids with black painted tamiya tape for the retaining straps.

pic_9.jpg

A head on view showing the nice little Aeroclub 110hp Le Rhone.

pic_10.jpg

A couple of overall shots.

pic_11.jpg

pic_12.jpg

One to show just how small it really is.

pic_13.jpg

And finally, still a work in progress, a small part of a German airfield during 1918.

pic_14.jpg

Any and all comments welcome.

Thanks for looking

Grant