250 GTO

cmatthewbacon

The Italeri one does indeed come with a full engine. It is very similar to the Gunze one in detail apart from the etch, just plastic really (and some huge sink marks in really bad places). The Revell one is the old Protar I believe, but the Italeri one was a unique kit. I have compared the Italeri and Revell ones and there is no way they can be the same.

richc

I'm obviously getting confused:

Revell _used_ to re-package the Italeri kit, but now the 250 GTO in the Revell Germany kit box is the Protar kit.

So I think the answer to the question in the "How many different 1/24 250GTO kits are there?" thread I posted months ago and got no replies is...

Three mainstream injection GTO Series 1 kits: the Italeri, the Protar and the Gunze.

bestest,

M.

Three mainstream injection GTO Series 1 kits: the Italeri, the Protar and the Gunze.

Don't forget the much more recent Fujimi kit.

I've read nothing but good about it, though I've not handled one myself.

Cheers,

Bill.

OK... back to the business in hand!

web.jpg

The chassis is now complete. The instructions are dreadful - murky photos with incomplete captions. However, thanks to various web photos and an article in small son's "Classic Cars of the 60s" bookazine, I figured out how it all goes together, and what to do in the cockpit! I'm inclined to scratchbuild the "big clock" that appears by the gear lever in several of the interior photos I've found, just because it adds some more interest - can't remember if NM's GTO has one, but lots of them do!

web.jpg

Goodness knows how much of this will be visible, but the replacement side windows will help. The seats are the worst thing about this kit, so I hope the ones in the Fujimi kit are better...

web.jpg

This is the best view of the new side windows. They're flimsy plastic on the real thing, and flimsy plastic here, as well...

web.jpg

The current state of play. I've added the headlights, air ducts (scratch-built from tube), and the neat little perspex covered etched air scoops in the bonnet.

web.jpg

It'll be interesting putting them together! I'm going to leave off the teeny-tiny sticky-outy bits of etch until after I've got the thing assembled, but I think I'll finish the lights etc while the body is still easy to hold on to...

bestest,

M.

OK... together at last! Getting the chassis in was no fun, I tell you...

I'm not entirely happy with the "squareness. The bodyshell doesn't site _quite_ as far down on the left as the right, but I don't know why not - it's in the mountings front and rear. And if I was doing another, I'd extend the springs on the front suspension a bit, and set the front wheels a bit lower, if I could...

Anyway, just the external details left to do now:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

...and here's a look through those windows. You can see the speedo in front of the gear lever. I took an image from one of Jack's books, and messed with it in Photoshop until it was apparently head-on, then printed it out teeny-tiny for the dial...

bestest,

M.

Looks great! B)

I'm going to have to strip the paint off mine, sprayed its gloss coat, and even though I put it in a plastic container to dry, it still managed to get dust on the doors. I think I'll concentrate on the chassis and interior for the next couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
Great Job

Makes me want to go car modelling, No Ferraris in the stash though.

Richard McC

Yes a lovely job, i new this group build was coming ,but unfortunately i have recently

moved and new kitchen etc,has put a full stop on the modelling front.gutted.

I have been collecting ferrari kits for about three years or more now,cant quite remember,

Think im one short of fourty cars now, not started them until last week ,when the good lady wasnt looking.

jerry

Edited by live steamer