New Airfix BF-109G6

Osher

This is the new Airfix BF-109G6. I was disappointed as the interior is a crap seat, and, er, that's it. Even in the 1960's this would have been considered Spartan. Moreover, the seat doesn't even fit well!!! Exterior seems OK. I mucked up the canopy, as I attempted to use MicroMask, rather than tape. Feeling disappointed with the build (actually, on reflection, it wasn't that bad), I decided to save the rather nice decals, and paint it a unique scheme, using old decals. I brush painted it, as I just wanted to get it done, and off the workbench. I assumed that the Czechs gave some G-6 to the Russians post war for testing (possible?), and the Russians would have slapped some green on it, and used basic insignia. So, I did the same. Some green which looked vaguely Russian, and decals from a Yak-15 kit, long gone. Nose was red (it was for my Godson, and I wanted to break up the colour) - well, red noses were used on some Czech aircraft, so, it's probably. Fishing line for the ariel.

DSC_1681.jpg

DSC_1682.jpg

Woo,a Sovietschmitt.

Good wif and not entirely un-plausible.

I'd be amazed if the Russians didn't get their hands on quite a few German kites and test fly 'em.

We did it with German kites,they did it with ours,they must've done it with Russian kites.

Wasn't it very late war or just after that the Russians were operating Fw 190D's??

Mark

The Russians tested quite a few 109s during the war, look to the Red Stars In The Sky series for photos. The Czechs provided several German types to the USSR, but I suspect any interest in the 109 would have been in later variants.

The 60s is a little early to describe a seat as Spartan - cutting edge stuff then. Normal for the 70s. Airfix were still providing that level of interior when they stopped making WW2 1/72 around 1980. The new releases suggest that they have not moved on from then, except in having recessed detail rather than raised. No doubt they'll sell lots, however, as long as the box looks good.

Wasn't it very late war or just after that the Russians were operating Fw 190D's??

Mark

- file under 'urban myth' - the Russians captured the Focke Wulf facility at Marienburg (now Molbork, Poland) in Feb 1945 and probably evaluated the machine. If you believe Willi Reschke (I don't) some of his colleagues in JG 301 encountered Doras with Russian markings over Berlin during April 1945..