The Deanflyer Collection 2009

Deanflyer

Hello all,

I hereby present the Deanflyer Collection 2009 (a phrase coined by the judges at the Avon Model Show in August this year!)

I've been slaving like mad to finish my Jaguar so I could include it in the 2009 yearbook, and I've just declared it complete. Time for the pics:

I started the year seriously enough with an Italeri 1/72 C-47 Dakota:

adak15.jpg

Then I followed it up with a Classic Airframes 1/48 Vampire FB5:

web1-3.jpg

Then I went a bit off the rails by building the Academy 1/72 Starfighter as a dilapidated museum exhibit:

museum1.jpg

Then I went a bit sillier and built a model to look just like the box. There are parts and decals inside, too:

vulcanbox1.jpg

I came briefly back to sanity with a 1/48 Hasegawa Corsair, a commission build for a young lady in Australia:

fly6p.jpg

Then went a bit doolally by scratchbuilding one of the Iraqi MiG 25s buried in the desert for safekeeping:

buried3.jpg

Then the mood stabilisers kicked in, and I built the Airfix 1/48 Canberra B2 as the Olympus Engine Testbed:

can17.jpg

It all went badly downhill though, when I built the Matchbox 1/72 Canberra in a colour scheme chosen completely atrandom by Britmodellers:

colour17.jpg

I couldn't resist customising Revell's 1/1200 Titanic ship:

tit4.jpg

I started on the Jaguar next, but it was such a long haul build that I need a couple of refreshers along the way. Scratchbuilt invisible Stealth Fighter, to match the famous internet photo:

stealth1.jpg

Then I scratchbuilt a tree in 1/32 scale for a lost flying model diorama called "Damn!":

treeA.jpg

I also had time to be silly by completing a F-117 literally 'Out Of The Box':

card3.jpg

And finally, just making it under the wire after 95 hours toil, the Airfix 1/48 Jaguar GR.1:

L.jpg

Been quite a varied year, hasn't it? 13 builds of various types, a new record for me.

Here's to 2010...

Cheers,

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer

Very nice work!

I quite like the dilapidated F-104. How did you get the markings to look so nicely faded into translucency like that?

I'll also thank you for posting that pic as you've helped me to not purchase the Academy F-104, it looks like they quite hosed the canopy shape.

Very nice work!

I quite like the dilapidated F-104. How did you get the markings to look so nicely faded into translucency like that?

I'll also thank you for posting that pic as you've helped me to not purchase the Academy F-104, it looks like they quite hosed the canopy shape.

It was just a matter of applying the decals, then spraying over them with the background colour until they looked suitably faded. You can't afford to take it too far though - you only get one chance!

As for the Academy Starfighter - avoid. It's pretty horrible all round.

Thanks for the comments,

Dean

Nice creative and inspiring work sir! :):speak_cool:

Then I went a bit off the rails by building the Academy 1/72 Starfighter as a dilapidated museum exhibit:

museum1.jpg

Thats about the best use for it. I built one as a kid about twenty years ago and even then could see how much of a botch it was. Still, it led me to the excellent revellogram F-104C a few years later as a sort of exorcism so it partially redeems itself. Only partially mind (that canopy! :huh: )....

• Like 1

Dean

Something tells me that you're not taking this seriously.

Is there a topic for your Vulcan box? and is the box to 1/72nd scale? I'd love to see the insides!

Whatever gave you that idea? :winkgrin:

There is a topic for the Vulcan box, although I wouldn't expect any WIP shots if I were you:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...ic=30028&hl

The interior does have contents, as I mentioned...

vulcan.jpg

..and it's in approximately 1/17 scale (the box, that is...)

Thanks for the other comments too folks, it's appreciated.

Cheers,

Dean