Mikes big 2010 project - Trumpeter 1/48 Su-15TM Flagon F

AnonymousER99

This is looking great Mike. Very timely, since my brother sent me my 1/48 Flagon from my stash for Christmas so I'll be building it this year. At the moment I am figuring out what bits and pieces to add. Given that the canopy will be closed, I probably won't bother with a replacement cockpit (maybe just a Neomega seat - do you know if it fits the kit tub?), but I will be trying to get hold of the Quickboost intakes, pitot tube and nose (getting a Loon Models one is a little difficult because of Hannant's high minimum order price), Tally Ho wheels and Begemot decals. I'm also interested in the Ciro exhausts, but see that you're not using them. Are they worth getting (better than what comes in the kit?).

Thanks

Jon

This is looking great Mike. Very timely, since my brother sent me my 1/48 Flagon from my stash for Christmas so I'll be building it this year. At the moment I am figuring out what bits and pieces to add. Given that the canopy will be closed, I probably won't bother with a replacement cockpit (maybe just a Neomega seat - do you know if it fits the kit tub?), but I will be trying to get hold of the Quickboost intakes, pitot tube and nose (getting a Loon Models one is a little difficult because of Hannant's high minimum order price), Tally Ho wheels and Begemot decals. I'm also interested in the Ciro exhausts, but see that you're not using them. Are they worth getting (better than what comes in the kit?).

Thanks

Jon

Tanks Jon

I will do a test fit of the Neomega seat in the kit tub tonight and report back. I also have a spare Quickboost nose and pitot probe ifyou cant track one down. I think I have a spare set of the exhauss as well. They are better in the exaust tube but the fan section and actual divergent nozzle leave a bit to be desired.

Cheers!!

Mike

Thanks Mike, your response is much appreciated. I look forward to finding out if the seat fits (I got burned on this when ordering 2 Aires seats for Hasegawa's AV-8s. They don't fit at all - clearly only designed for the Aires tub - big waste of money getting them sent all the way here :angry:).

Since I am in China, which makes using stuff like paypal a nightmare, I'll try and source the Quickboost stuff from them direct, or some other web retailer. I can always go with Hannants if I get desperate (they show them in stock).

I still don't understand about the exhausts though. I'm not that bothered about the tube, but are the nozzles better than the kit's? If they're not any better, I'd rather stick with what's in the box...

Cheers

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Well I spent last evening putting the main airframe together. The fit is less than great but is nothing that cannot be overcame. The lower wing fit was the worst part so a shim or two will be needed. The resin nose is attached and it fits like a glove! I have a divot to fix behind the cone that I made with my Exacto!!

The Intakes fit was also a bit crap but nothing overly serious. I have also done some test fitting of the forward and aft fuselage inserts in front of and behind the cockpit. These are going to make me lose a few more hairs as well. I brok the rear insert but will fix it once I begin blending.

Things should progress a bit faster now but I will go through the boring sanding, filling, sanding, filling stage for a bit so those pics will be even less than exciting than this batch!! Anyway, I hope you like what you see so far. Still have a LOT to do!!

Anyone want to suggest a loadout?

IMG_8364.jpg

IMG_8365.jpg

IMG_8366.jpg

IMG_8367.jpg

THE HORROR!!

IMG_8368.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

IMG_8370.jpg

IMG_8371.jpg

IMG_8372.jpg

IMG_8373.jpg

This guy seems to like it :)

IMG_8360.jpg

I missed the start of this one. It looks like an interesting buld to say the least. I only have experience of two trumpy kits - the Wyvern was OK and the Sea Fury seems to be problem free. Looks like you got a lemon? What is Trumpeter like in general? Variable? or are you just unlucky?

I missed the start of this one. It looks like an interesting buld to say the least. I only have experience of two trumpy kits - the Wyvern was OK and the Sea Fury seems to be problem free. Looks like you got a lemon? What is Trumpeter like in general? Variable? or are you just unlucky?

Some of the issues may be my own doing but this kit is also one of Trumpeters earliest efforts so they have surely come a long way since then....other than the "accuracy" issue seen in so many of their kits. One reason my wing join is so bad is that my wing was warped pretty badly and in order to straighten the join, I had to pull it up a bit.

Cheers

Mike

Nice work Mike. One day I'll build the one I have in the stash.

I wonder why nearly every online build of the Trumpeter 1/48th Flagon are of the Su-15TM (ref. 2811) type. Trumpeter has also produced two other boxing of this kit: the Su-15 Flagon A (ref. 2810) and the Su-15UM Flagon G (ref.2812).

Now just to be ennoying... :whistle:

- Fuselage is reported to be too long by 8mm (so nearly 1cm!)

- Serious tailplane accuracy issue

Let's have a look here, the work of a Russian rivets counter - Google's online language translation is your friend!

http://modelism.airforce.ru/workshop/su-15tm/index.htm

Where did you get the metallic pitot? Linden Hill PVD? If this is the case you're a lucky guy. This add on would be of my interest.

IMG_8079.jpg

Regards

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

It looks great Mike! The Flagon is one of the very few Soviet/Russian aircraft I might be persuaded to build myself - that is, if I ever got any building done :undecided:

Anyone want to suggest a loadout?
2 Anab, 4 Aphid and either tanks or gunpods

• 7 months later...