Mikes big 2010 project - Trumpeter 1/48 Su-15TM Flagon F

AnonymousER99

Hi all

While mulling over what to do while I have items on my Tu-22 drying or set aside, I decided I have always wanted to do up a super detailed Su-15 Flagon. Off to the stash I went. Did I want to do a two seat UM?? Nah, not sexy enough. How about the Flagon A?? The nose is too little. I decided on the Jimmy Durante nosed Flagon F as it just oozes the brutish cold war Sukhoi design. Boxy, massive radar, tiny wings......all the ingredients I need to keep me interested!

So here is where I am at. I started toying with it last night. I am armed with the Trumpy kit, Neomega cockpit, Ciro Exhausts, Loon models nose, two Eduard PE sets, a PART PE set, some wheels and a wicked all metal pitot probe. I am also going to make up seamless intakes and hopefully add them to the Two Mikes line. Possibly main wheel wells as well. Now all I need are some decals.

Here are some pics.

IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_8080.jpg

Intakes already being prepped.

IMG_8081.jpg

Check out this pitot!!

IMG_8079.jpg

Loon nose makes the Trumpy kit look so much better as the kits nose is about 5 degrees off

IMG_8078.jpg

How is this for some warpage??

IMG_8076.jpg

IMG_8077.jpg

Very nice subject, Mike.

I'll follow this closely.

Wrap around aluminium, or a camoed aircraft?

I might follow your path in the years to come.

Didn't have the kit yet, but already have the loon models corrected nose!

:)

I am a big pansy when it comes to NMF so this one will be a camouflaged one. I need to find suitable markings though as the trumpy decals are crap! I may do up my Flagon A in NMF when I get to it though. We will see how I feel about Flagons after I get through this one. :)

Looking good, that is one serious pitot, who makes that?

As for warpage I see you Su-15 and raise you an Airfix Bucc fuselarge!

Julien

Julien

I did an online contest a long time ago on Hyperscale called "The Bucc Off' I believe it was the first GB of its kind on the model boards. :) Anyway, my Bucc was warped so bad that the fuselage actually cracked badly across the top (not on the seam) in front of the windscreen. Funny thing is, I wasn't even handling the model at the time. I just heard a "pop" from across the room and there it was!! LOL

As far as the pitot goes, i have no clue. I bought it from Lindenhill Imports at the IPMS National Convention in Virgini Beach a couple years back. I have three of them. One for each of my kits. If I recall they were fairly inexpensive.

Edited by Mike @ Two Mikes Resin

Im with Antoine - super nice subject. One of my all time faves. May I ask a question?

Where do you get all the various AM pieces, bits and bobs? I'd love to hear you snagged them all in one place....

Edited by dahut

Im with Antoine - super nice subject. One of my all time faves. May I ask a question?

Where do you get all the various AM pieces, bits and bobs? I'd love to hear you snagged them all in one place....

Thanks Dahut

I wish i could say I sourced everything at one place. If memory serves a lot of it came from an IPMS National a few years back from several different vendors such as Lindenhill Imports and Eduard etc. The Neomega pit was sourced from Lindenhill I know that as I bought several at once.

BTW the cockpit is glued together in the pics as well as the wheel well underneath.

Cheers

Mike

Nice choice Mike, will be watching this one with interest. Mainly so I can steal your ideas for when I come to do my own one ;)

Did you ever get that parcel of books I sent? The Su-15 monograph should prove useful :D

Never got it Col. :(

Sorry to hear that fella :( Given they stung me £40 for it to go airmail at the Post Office I'm deeply disapointed about that, will have a look into it tomorrow and see if I can find out what happened. In the meantime I can scan pages if you need anything.

Sorry to hear that fella :( Given they stung me £40 for it to go airmail at the Post Office I'm deeply disapointed about that, will have a look into it tomorrow and see if I can find out what happened. In the meantime I can scan pages if you need anything.

Wait a tick...I did get it!! The Flagon book has a red cover with a Korean airliner being blown up right?? (Not kidding here folks). Nice taste by the publishers!! :(

Wait a tick...I did get it!! The Flagon book has a red cover with a Korean airliner being blown up right?? (Not kidding here folks). Nice taste by the publishers!! :(

Whew! Saved me a shouting match at the local Post Office tomorrow.

Have to agree about the cover art - hardly the most glamorous or inspiring image one could present on the subject. :fraidnot:

So if I was to do wheel wells for this bad boy would anyone want them??

Hiya Mike this is going to be good!!

Will you hang a Gsh-23 gun pod from a pylon or will it be tooled up with an all missile war load?

PS if you want a tip on what might sell resin wise - 1/48th Tornado intake trunking. Trust me on this one :) , Hobby Boss must reckon the air goes in through the big slanty holes at the front, and gets whisked up by a troop of trained monkeys before it sat-navs it way to the engines.

Watching your build with slathering expectation - I have to agree, the Su-15 in its later ogival radomed versions just smacks of Cold War portence.

PVO-tastic, Jonners

Got a bit more finished over the past few days. First off, someone on ARC asked me to compare the kit nose to the Loon correction nose. The difference is obvious! Also, the Loon nose actually fits better than the kit one!!

IMG_8082.jpg

Kit nose

IMG_8083.jpg

Did a base coat in the cockpit. The pics I have seen of the Flagon do not show that hideous green cockpit but more of a blueishgreygreen (not a word I know). I painted mine with Model master Russian underside grey with a drop of blue and a drop of green. I kinda like it

IMG_8084.jpg

IMG_8085.jpg

IMG_8086.jpg

I am having a hard time deciding on the instrument panel! Resin from Neomega which fits but is a PITA to paint, Eduard PE or PART PE. I painted all three just in case :)

IMG_8099.jpg

I have added the Eduard PE part to the intake splitter plates

IMG_8087.jpg

....and to the outboard gear doors. These did not fit at all and required a lot of trimming. I know I have some sanding scratches to polish out!! These are light and my polishing sticks should take care of them easily

IMG_8089.jpg

One of the exhaust nozzles has the Eduard PE flameholder in it

IMG_8090.jpg

Here is a shot of the Neomega nose gear bay that you must assemble

IMG_8097.jpg

Wings are glued together but not in place on the fuselage. I was just doing some test fitting. Those gear bays will be getting a lot more done to them!! The wings fit rather nicely. I know they have shape issues but I am not going to correct them. I am too lazy :)

IMG_8092.jpg

IMG_8093.jpg

The airbrakes are a fun thing to do! The kit seems to be engineered to only model them open. The problem is, I rarely see photos of them deployed so, I closed em!! Lots of work to do here as not one of them fit and all seemed to suffer from size issues. Notice I added backing strips to prevent them from falling in as I blend and rescribe them.

IMG_8094.jpg

IMG_8095.jpg

IMG_8096.jpg

Lastly, here is the mess I left this morning!! :)

IMG_8098.jpg

More to come!! I am hoping to get the cockpit painted and installed this week.