Fokker DR.1 in Sloooooow Progress

Bobs_Buckles

Hello all,

I have cracked the box on the encore F.1/DR.1 and have decided to make the DR.1. My choice of pilot was easy for this build, that being Hauptmann Bruno Loerzer's Black 'n White beauty.

The first thing for me to get out of the way is the wings. All the seams were dealt with, wing tips installed and blended in. Most of the over-the-top saw tooth effect on the leading edges were cut back to a more believable level.

And now the fun bit....

The Spar inspection window.

The original window is anything but a window. It's just a proud oblong solid plastic shape. Before drilling out this oblong I made an impression by burnishing lead foil over it. I filled the impression with Zap-A-Gap CA and then hit it with kicker. The window was then fumbled from its new home, sanded, polished and shaped to perfectly match the size of the original. One clear and shiny, but brittle new window.

The window on this model sits lower cordwise than the real thing. After sanding the original window flush I scribed a new window 2mm higher. This was then drilled out and shaped. Next came the spar. Plastic strut was used to fill the gaping hole. The spar in place was now given the wood treatment with buff base coat and then oils. To finish off (thanks to Dogtail2 from the aerodrome forum for a close up picture - Seen below) I made up a random serial, crown and maker mark in Adobe Illustrator. This was scaled down and then laser printed to decal film. Not wanting to waste an A4 sheet of film, I brain numbingly created stitching to fill the void :wacko:. My Ai document is free. Should you want a copy PM me and it will be so.

The decal was placed on the spar with white glue and water mix. Window installed and secured with 1.2mm Tamiya tape. Mr surfacer was applied to the tape to give texture and to make secure.

Did I mention this will be a slow build? haha

Thanks for your time.

BVB

Merry Christmas & God Bless

Pictures:

Completed inspection window. Window needs a wash... LOL... Last job on the list.

spar.jpg

Image supplied by Dogtail 2.

img0591n.jpg

Adobe Illustrator CS4 decal snippet.

serial.JPG

Edited by Bobs_Buckles

Nice work Bob - I am looking forward to seeing progress pics.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, may it be a very happy and safe time.

Cheers

Des.

Bob,

If the rest of your project is this detailed it's bound to be a real show stopper. Beautiful work,love those often overlooked details.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

MERY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOUR'S

Edited by Spad57

A small update on the boring bits.

The struts come as a one piece affair. I have found that cutting them in half and aligning each individually makes for an easier time of it. I'm all for an easy option ;)

cutstrut.jpg

Wings dry tested.

tripe.jpg

That will do for now.

Happy New Year!

BVB

Hello all,

Engine needs final touch ups before paint.

The original Spark plugs (plastic stubs) were lopped off and replaced with brass tubes. The outer tube being 0.4 with a 0.2 tube running through it. The wire ignition leads hang from the 0.2 ends.

I did contemplate valve springs and rocker arms but knew I would become bogged down with AMS. This build is all about fun, lets hope it remains so.

Thanks for your time.

BVB

engine.jpg

Hello Bob,

I'll follow this one from close-up, as my next WW1 subject will most certainly be Eduard's 1/48 kit (Week end, with some montex masks).

Already have my own ideas about painting the camo, but I'm highly interested in your own way to proceed.

Cheers!

Very nice engine btw, even with those ugly hairy fingers behind.

Looking nice Bob, I will be watching this build intently, keep up the good work.

Cheers

Des.

Engine 90% finished. Just a few more washes followed by a wee amount of dry brushing will see the job done! ;)

The prop boss was cut from the plastic prop and grafted on the wooden wonder . Martin Digmeyer takes the credit for producing the prop.

Happy new year!

BVB

enginedone1.jpg

enginecowl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful work Bob - can't wait to see the next update

Des.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

A wee wee update for you. I did say this will be a slooooow build ;D

Seat:

Bare metal foil back. Stretched sprue lip glued on the outside edge of the seat to represent overlap of seat covering . Cushion made from green stuff, painted with a mixture of Vallejo leather and Games workshop brown and finished with a games workshop wash.

Harness.

Using the Eduard harness as a template I cut 2mm wide lengths from fine cloth with a stencil cutter. Butchered the Eduard harness freeing all those lovely buckles. Glued buckles to my home made harness with Gator glue. Harness given a Games workshop Sepia wash to finish.

Lap belts next!

That will do you for now :D

Bob Von Slowcoach :P

seat.jpg

It might be slow but it's very good - well done Bob.

Des.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm slowly knocking up the cockpit framing from brass tube.

I placed the original kit parts on the sticky side of masking tape. Sprayed a thin coat of Games workshop Chaos Black over the frame, allowed to dry and pulled off the frame to reveal a nice crisp template for my brass tubing to follow. I'm unsure whether to solder or superglue the joints.

Cheers,

Sloooooooow Hand Bob

Frame.jpg