Storm Shadow missiles colors

coronado

Coronado,

I'd guess that'd be uhhh, wait one (digging up Urban's color charts...), here we go!

Hu-123.

What we Yanks call FS36118 Gunship Grey and you all call Extra Dark Sea Grey (which I have other issues with because the color on a La Muerta Negra SHAR down Falklands way was closer to 36081 to me...).

The problem as I see it is that the aircraft itself looks more like Dk. Ghost Grey with some Medium Grey mixed in. Even accounting for 'scale area' on total reflectance values, there is no way that aircraft is the same color as an F-16's back or an F-15E overall.

Because it's not the same color as the SS itself.

Missile, yes. Airframe no.

I might go for Hu-164 (with some scale white) Dark Sea Grey for the airframe color. That's basically AMC grey like you'd see on a tanker or an AC-130. But it's not just the tone, it's the hue that's off for gunship.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/s...orcharts_uk.htm

LEG

I'd guess that'd be uhhh, wait one (digging up Urban's color charts...), here we go!

Hu-123.

What we Yanks call FS36118 Gunship Grey and you all call Extra Dark Sea Grey

:shrug:

Whatever the colour is (and i'll say right now I DON'T KNOW) it is not FS36118 or EDSG equivalent. It is a lighter, "bluer" grey than those, more akin to a lighter shade of Dark Admiralty Grey or Dark Camouflage Grey. I mixed mine from Barley Grey and Ocean Grey and it "looked" right - but as to the actual colour callout - no-one seems to know.

As far as Humbrol shades go - start with Humbrol 164 and a pot of white and take it from there!

Edited by PHaTNesS

Coronado,

Hu-123.

What we Yanks call FS36118 Gunship Grey and you all call Extra Dark Sea Grey (which I have other issues with because the color on a La Muerta Negra SHAR down Falklands way was closer to 36081 to me...).

The problem as I see it is that the aircraft itself looks more like Dk. Ghost Grey with some Medium Grey mixed in. Even accounting for 'scale area' on total reflectance values, there is no way that aircraft is the same color as an F-16's back or an F-15E overall.

Because it's not the same color as the SS itself.

Missile, yes. Airframe no.

I might go for Hu-164 (with some scale white) Dark Sea Grey for the airframe color. That's basically AMC grey like you'd see on a tanker or an AC-130. But it's not just the tone, it's the hue that's off for gunship.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/s...orcharts_uk.htm

LEG

Op Telic.

tornado_storm_shadow.jpg

I mixed mine from Barley Grey and Ocean Grey and it "looked" right - but as to the actual colour callout - no-one seems to know.

Amen, brother! I tend to eyeball most colors, and if you're diligent you can get very close. Besides, there's so much variation among the real colors (wear, weathering, etc.) and color reproductions that "close enough" will fool 99.99 percent of the viewers 99.99 percent of the time.

Now, can someone tell me what color white to paint landing gear? :tease:

Amen, brother! I tend to eyeball most colors, and if you're diligent you can get very close. Besides, there's so much variation among the real colors (wear, weathering, etc.) and color reproductions that "close enough" will fool 99.99 percent of the viewers 99.99 percent of the time.

Now, can someone tell me what color white to paint landing gear? :tease:

TORNADO LANDING GEAR IS NOT,I REPEAT NOT :angrysoapbox.sml: WHITE!!!