21st Century Toys C205 Veltro

spitfire

A lot of us have these kits, myself included so I decided to see if they are any good.

The box

spacer.png

The contents

spacer.png

And again

spacer.png

Seems strange not to have the parts on a sprue, but it looks like someone has kindly removed and packaged them for me.

Cheers

Den

Forgot to say that I've been working on this one when the Hurricane build was a bit slow, so I'm not really wizzing through it !

The first things I wanted to tackle were the big screw holes, the kit contains plugs for them, they aren't marked so you have to figure which ones go where. And they are not a perfect fit, some are sunken and some are proud.

Plugs fitted

spacer.png

Closer look at the fuselage

spacer.png

I cut some discs from sheet plastic to fill the holes left by undersized plugs, stuck them on with CA, and sanded them smooth.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire
Replaced Photobucket photos

As you can probably tell the surface detail is a bit heavy but the engineering in the kit is good, it is certainly superior to the 70's kits that I normally build.

One of the biggest problems is the undercarriage, the wheels are undersized, there have been some very nice builds of the C202 over on LSP the C202 suffers from the same problem and people have used alternative wheels on their builds. I was advised that 109 wheels are a good alternative for the kit wheels, which is great as I have some from a scrapped 109 in the spares box. However while looking through the spares box I found some nicer wheels, don't know what they are off but could be a 1/48 scale twin.

Had to thin the wheels down a bit and sand the yoke (?) on the undercarriage leg, but eventually got them to fit.

Here's my bodging with a kit wheel for comparison.

spacer.png

And the completed items

spacer.png

Slap some paint on.

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

Back again, just been out for a meal, not slaving over hot plastic !

Don't think that Macchi put this here.

spacer.png

The interior should be either Verde Anticorrosione or Grigio Azzurro Chiaro according to the info on the Stormo website, which incidently is a mine of usefull information. From the dates involved I would have thought that the cockpit should have been Grigio Azzurro Chiaro, but after building so many RAF types I went the green route, as I could not get any Verde Anticorrosione (which is described as a lightened H78) I used some H120 which I had in my paint locker. It looks very green on my photos, for some reason my camera gets confused with greens.

spacer.png

As you can see there are loads of positive location points so the screws are not necessary.

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

For a cheap build (£1.99) this got a bit more expensive because I just had to buy some reference books !

Camouflage and Markings of the ANR 1943-1945, and all three Parts of Regia Aeronautica Caccia & Assalto (they were on special offer). Highly recommended.

Here's some parts laid out after painting.

spacer.png

Here's the cockpit sidewalls, I started to add all sorts of bits and pieces but stopped when a test fit revealed that very little would be visible, but it was enjoyable playing with fuse wire. Some left over Waldron placards were also used and the lot given a wash with Promodeller mud.

spacer.png

The cockpit is quite detailed for such a basic kit.

spacer.png

And MDC RAF instrument decals where used to dress up the IP.

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

Here's the wheel bay parts, a real detail type modeller would have a whale of a time here, I just painted them and gave them a Mud wash.

spacer.png

The Italian seat harness is a strange thing of leather, straps and chains, there aren't any AM ones available in 1/32, so I took the one out of my PCM C202 and copied it out on a sheet of thin lead, added some buckles from an Eduard etched seat and here we have the result, not 100% accurate but close.

spacer.png

Here's the cockpit going together, the harness looks a bit of an odd orange colour in this shot but it is Humbrol matt leather in real life.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

The last major fault with the kit is the spinner, the one in the kit is a C202 spinner and is too pointy, I had a search through my spares box and found a spinner from a scrapped Revell Fw 190D, this really looks the part apart from being too long. This was easily sorted and the final item looks more like a C205 spinner.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

I did one of these for a Blitzbau earlier in the year, and I really enjoyed it. It builds into a real looker, and the decals are brilliant :)

Jen.

Sorry Jen I was wizzing through the posts, and yes from what I have seen it is a really nice kit, it would certainly be a shame if the molds are not used again.

Where is your build it would be nice to steal ideas from you ?

Cheers

Den

Nice work.

The kit reminds me of the Matchbox way of doing things. Add to that the toy like screw fitments and prepainted pilot.

But they turn out well under scale treatment and if nothing else, the 21st Century decals are excellent!

You're doing good. Was that green interior color correct?

Nice work.

The kit reminds me of the Matchbox way of doing things. Add to that the toy like screw fitments and prepainted pilot.

But they turn out well under scale treatment and if nothing else, the 21st Century decals are excellent!

You're doing good. Was that green interior color correct?

Yes as I said earlier from the dates involved I would have thought that the cockpit should have been Grigio Azzurro Chiaro, but after building so many RAF types I went the green route Verde Anticorrosione.

Cheers

Den

No worries Den, the build is here and the finished article came out like this....

375445488.jpg

Jen.

Hi Jen, thanks for that, I just hope that mine turns out half as nice as yours ! It certainly won't be finished anywhere near as fast though !

Cheers

Den

my 6 year old is building one at the moment to go with his 109, stuka, and zero, not up to your standard cant wait to see the finished article

are you going for the smoke rings?

Not going for the smoke rings on this one, it will be in ANR greys, but I have another that will be finished with smoke rings, I'll cheat on that one as I have a set of Mike Grant decals smoke rings.

Cheers

Den

Hi Kev, I think it might of been your C202 that set me off on this one, I nearly left it to late to get one myself, I had just tracked down and bought the C202, C205, Corsair, Zero and 109F and 109G when 21st Century went belly up. When Home Bargains were selling the kits off in the UK I only managed to get 109G's and Stukas.

Cheers

Den

And on we go, the wings have been assembled, the undercarriage legs have to be trapped between the upper and lower wings, presumably on the pre assembled ones the undercarriage would be moveable, but mine were loose so a spot of CA was called for. It is a bit more awkward with the undercarriage in place, would have preffered to have added them at the end. The wings fit together very well, just a small amount of seam clean up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the same treatment for the fuselage, the gun cover was added from underneath and CA run around the seam.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

The gear bay doors hinge on a steel rod so they can open and close, looked a bit clunky so I replaced the steel rod with some square section plastic and changed the fittings on the gear doors to simple locating pegs.

Work in progress.

spacer.png

The finished items.

spacer.png

Getting rid of the deep seam on the gun cover meant losing some detail, specifically some of the teardrop shaped bulges, however my reference tells me that 2 of the bulges are really C202 items so I did not have to replace them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

Hi Kev, I think it might of been your C202 that set me off on this one, I nearly left it to late to get one myself, I had just tracked down and bought the C202, C205, Corsair, Zero and 109F and 109G when 21st Century went belly up. When Home Bargains were selling the kits off in the UK I only managed to get 109G's and Stukas.

Cheers

Den

LOL! It must have been you and me that cleared the shelves of Home and Bargain in town :D

Really stupid question but are you using liquid cement to stick it all together or CA?

The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed that the wings and fuselage have now been joined, this has left a few gaps which I have filled with plastic sheet and sealed with CA, the gap at the rear of the wing was that bad that I did not even try to fill it, I've just stuck some thin plastic sheet over it.

Now for some sanding.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

LOL! It must have been you and me that cleared the shelves of Home and Bargain in town :D

Really stupid question but are you using liquid cement to stick it all together or CA?

Hi Andy, Yes I did pop down Town a few times to look in Home Bargains, and the wife looked in when I couldn't, but only found 109's and Stuka's there did you see any others ?

I bought the C205 before Home and Bargains got them, so this is an expensive one (£10).

I only use CA on my builds except for the clear bits that is, I use the Gap filling Zap A Gap, gives you a bit of time to adjust before it sticks firm, and it lasts for ages.

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire