Lincoln/Shackleton nacelles

Neil

Had an enquiry from a customer, anybody know if the engine nacelles of the Lincoln and Shackleton are the same or similar?

B)

Hi Neil, Lenny Thomson will probably know, he has a thing about all things AVRO, and he's a member on here, so may be worth PM'ing him?

Cheers

bill

:winkgrin: Good article in SAM Vol 12, No 4, (Jan 90) on converting the Airfix 1/72 Lancaster to a Lincoln using DB Conversions sets. Also in the same issue was an 'Aircraft in Detail' article on the Lincoln.

Robin.

Had an enquiry from a customer, anybody know if the engine nacelles of the Lincoln and Shackleton are the same or similar?

B)

From the front to the wing leading edge - yes, although the exhausts would need changing.

From the leading edge back - I'm not sure. IIRC, the DB and Paragon engines for Lincoln are just from front to leading edge and use the Lancaster nacelles from there back. So: Shackleton engines and cowlings grafted onto Lancaster nacelles?

I hope that helps.

David W.

Edited by David Womby

From what I can see Neil, no.

The Shack had Griffons of course, whereas the Lincoln had Merlins. The Shack nacelles are slightly longer from the leading edge of the wing. The spinner diameter was greater, and as mentioned, the exhausts were different (from the MR-2 onwards). I think the Shack's nacelles are just a tad bigger in diameter, but that could be my mistake.

The Shack had outlet flaps either side, and a grille on the undersurface. These were not present on the Lincoln.

I would say that the outer nacelle under the wing was very similar, but of course on the MR-3 the Shack had the added Viper turbo jets. The inner nacelle of the Shack also projected beyond the trailing edge.

Take a look.....

shack0001.jpg

linc0017.jpg

B)

Totally different, from the radiator matrix's to the thrust line position.

John

Edited by John Aero