1:48 RAF Griffin HAR.2

Just love the look of this bird - wish we had some over here UK based - 84 Squadron Griffin HAR.2 (Bell 412) employed in the SAR/Troop support role at RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus.

This is what they look like...

26.jpg

I must have started this 3 or 4 years ago, and sadly sealed the fuselage up having arranged the internal cabin in the standard troop transport configuration. although the HAR.2's do have a secondary role as troop carriers, main day to day internal configuration is for the SAR role - missed an opportunity to scratch the Blue water proof mat, so often seen in these.

The Nose fitted radome, is a piece from a "Mastermind" game, which I sliced at an angle, then filed to shape. That was glued to the fuselage, and sealed in with Miliput, which was smoothed out to shape whilst wet.

Picture013-2.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

After letting that dry, it received a good covering of Squadron putty.

Picture021-1.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Haven't got a clue what this bit is, but it can be seen on the top picture?

Picture015.jpg

Lots of styrene work to be done on this........nose only completed so far. Real thing...........

20.jpg

My half cocked attempt..... so far.

Picture022-1.jpg

Haven't got a clue what this bit is, but it can be seen on the top picture?

Just guessing now............ the way the plate is angled downwards away from the tail rotor, perhaps a mounting plate for a chaff and flare pod or a markerbuoy or something?

Model looking good Gary B)

Gary.

Great project and work so far. I have the same kit and ideas however I guess I better build a DHFS black/yellow aircraft now to avoid clashing with you :) (I also have the Heller AS.350 which I'd like to convert to a Squirrel so the DHFS theme fits).

Cheers,

Ed

I also have the Heller AS.350 which I'd like to convert to a Squirrel so the DHFS theme fits

Me too - was a "quick build" not so long ago until I compared the clear mouldings from the kit with the real RAF Squirels - rear windows/doors not straight out of box, so back in the box she went for a rainy day.

Me too - was a "quick build" not so long ago until I compared the clear mouldings from the kit with the real RAF Squirels - rear windows/doors not straight out of box, so back in the box she went for a rainy day.

Gary- Yep! I noticed this when I first got the kit. We have big front doors and little back doors whereas the Ecureuil has small front doors and sliding large rears. I still think it can be done though ;)

I was thinking of using my Italeri UH-1N to do an AAC Bell 212 instead actually and saving the Belcher conversion for another day. Its hard to find references and I'm sure if we still have these helos on the books.

Gary- Yep! I noticed this when I first got the kit. We have big front doors and little back doors whereas the Ecureuil has small front doors and sliding large rears. I still think it can be done though ;)

I was thinking of using my Italeri UH-1N to do an AAC Bell 212 instead actually and saving the Belcher conversion for another day. Its hard to find references and I'm sure if we still have these helos on the books.

Just had a google and found this!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/britsincancun...57600712918478/

Ta,

Ed

Its hard to find references and I'm sure if we still have these helos on the books.

Ed - exactly the same issue with the HAR2 - not enough reference images. I found a useful site for 84 squadron, with tons of flying pics but I'm struggling to find good quality underside pics - lots of antennae/receivers etc.

Ed - exactly the same issue with the HAR2 - not enough reference images. I found a useful site for 84 squadron, with tons of flying pics but I'm struggling to find good quality underside pics - lots of antennae/receivers etc.

Hi Gary,

about a year ago there was an issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling with very good photos, one on the cover too: would you like a scan?

Regards

Fabio