* Westland Scout AH1 FINISHED

faceman

Hi there

I have started the build of the Airfix 1/72 scout with airwaves added extras, I got the kit and bits secondhand and some of the brass had been bent, but not enough to disqualify for the GB. I will post some start pics when the photo card, card reader, computer and myself are all in the same place! :confused:

Cheers for now

Edited by faceman

Hi all

One of the reasons I've stayed clear of the Airfix Scout is the rubbish engine deck. The Airwaves after market bits go someway to improving the situation but the Nimbus is still far from adequate so the Dremel has been busy! There are a few anomalies on the fuselage which also need addressing, but it does keeps me out of mischief.

So here are some pics:

First the bits out of the box.

Scoutstart.jpg

The Airwaves Nimbus as supplied

AirwavesNimbusbottom2.jpg

AirwavesNimbusbottom1.jpg

AirwavesNimbusfront.jpg

AirwavesNimbusport.jpg

AirwavesNimbusrear.jpg

AirwavesNimbusstbd.jpg

AirwavesNimbustop.jpg

After the first Dremel attack, note the swarf pile!

NimbusafterfirstDremelattack.jpg

The Main rotor gearbox as supplied

AirwavesMainrotorgearbox.jpg

The brass cockpit floor came attached the wrong way up to a replacement plastic floor and had to be unstuck and refitted. The Instrument panel didn't have a cowl so a bit of the scap brass came in useful.

Cockpitbits.jpg

Underside of the fuselage smoothed off.

Fuselargebottom.jpg

The top of the fuselage with the canopy frame cut away to allow the vac form canopy to be fitted.

Fuselargetop.jpg

Half way down the tail boom is a rotating transformer with a removable cover, hence a little bump is starting.

RatatingTransformercoverstart.jpg

There is not a strengthener on the stbd side panel despite Airfix's attempt to put one there.

Stbdsidepanel.jpg

Thats all for now folks.

Faceman

• 1 month later...

Hi guys and gals

I thought I'd better show you that I'm still here and doing some modelling. So instead of modelling I've spent loads of time editing pics and computing for your delectation or any other emotion you wish. :lol:

I have finally put the dremel back in its box so the first two pics are; after the dremel compilations

ATDcomp1.jpg

ATDcomp2.jpg

The Main rotor gearbox needed somthing to hold it down

MRBMounts.jpg

Better check that the engine will still fit!

nimbustestfit.jpg

the MRG anchored down, useful in a heli

MRBfitted.jpg

I think Aifix only saw P531 drawings which didn't have hydraulics unlike the production Scouts and Wasps

HydraulicPackfitted.jpg

As promised to Mastergg, the front windows, a big advantage of using Micro Kristal Klear is that it doesn't damage the plastic

when you take 4 or 5 attempts to get the windows fitted properly

Frontwindows.jpg

Thats all for now folks' I have a hankering to do some modelling! :undecided: or eat.

Regards

Faceman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Having finaly found a photo to backup my recollection of the original Heli Teli trial in 1973, I have been fettling! Current heli telis are about 5% of the weight of the first.

The first pic is a test fit of engine and gearbox, the other two are the first pass at the Heli teli fit

Helitelitestfit.jpg

Should have some better pics in a couple of days

Cheers

Faceman

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone'

Been having a few probs trying to get finished. My sister and daughter decided to tidy my modelling room! :shocked: they seem to think it's something called a living room :shrug:

So I had a tail rotor and "hockey stick" (thats the bit under the tail) to make. Having got over that shock and trying to get stuff ready for the South Cheshire Militaire, all of a sudden where there were two oleo struts fitted and painted there was only one, how the carpet monster grabbed it is a mystery but despite an intense search the green carpet did not give the very little green part back :crying: so scratch building a new pair was the only way. The third attempt gave a pleasing result.

I've still got a bit to do before the closing date but I thought I'd put some pics on just so you know I haven't run off! :lol:

Bits and pieces of the jigsaw

Bitsandpieces.jpg

The remaining kit oleo and the two new ones

Oleosoldandnew.jpg

New oleo fitted and in front is the new tail rotor under construction

Oleofitted.jpg

Thats all for now

faceman

Edited by faceman

Hi all

Just as well Erwin extended the deadline :frantic:

I have just finished and got some pics, not the best photography though.

So may I present, Wesland Scout AH1 XT626 of D & T Sqn AAC fitted with the prototype Heli Teli for the initial trials in 1973. All 1000+ lbs of it.

It had slimmed down a bit by the time it reached service but was still about 10 times the weight of the modern bolt ons in service now.

Scoutfinished1.jpg

Scoutfinished2.jpg

Scoutfinished3.jpg

Scoutfinished4.jpg

Scoutfinished5.jpg

Cheers

faceman