Just got a new heli

Guest Cop

Five or six years ago I strayed from the styrene path into the dark murky world of RC. Planes and Helis were my area of interest. Planes I could fly no problems full acrobatics the lot. Helis that was a differant and far more expensive story. After 3 months I had just mastered the nose in hover and circuits, it's very challenging to say the least.

Due to lack of time I eventually sold the heli and moved on. Well I decided to give it another try and did a bit of a search on the net and found this.

P1014503.jpg

I just couldn't help myself and at £105 it's a bargain. Full 6 channel control complete with battery, gyro, servos, Rx and Tx.

P1014509.jpg

Belt driven tail rotor

P1014508.jpg

A very, very nice package.

P1014504.jpg

And the suprising thing is the size.

P1014505.jpg

And these are the buggers that rekindled my interest. They only cost £12 each and are great for chasing the cat round the living room.

P1014506.jpg

Can't wait till the wind dies down.

Nige.

You got a link for that then?

I fancy a helicopter with proper full control, and that sounds like a nice price :winkgrin:

I bought one of thoe twin rotor bug type ones (bottom right in your pic) in Hong Kong for about a tenner. Whilst it is a lot of fun, it isn't very controllable and teaches you little or nothing of how to fly a helicopter. It is great fun for scaring cats with though! :lol:

Jen.

Looks great... A link would be nice as I have been looking for something like this as well. I cut my teeth learning to control helos on Flight Sim. Lot cheaper to crash on there than with the model.

Does the kit come with the controller as well or is that extra?

I got mine off ebay from this chaps shop

Anything RC

It's a Esky Honybee King 2. Don't go for the Standard Honeybee as the tail rotor is not belt drien but driven by a small electric motor. This makes it very twicthy and not proprtional in relation to the main rotor.

The heli comes with everything you will need including batteries all you have to do is charge them up set the heli up go to your nearest deserted field and fly. I would suggest seeking out a local club though in order to get it set up and trimmed correctly as well as get getting lessons. Otherwise it becomes very expensive very quickly.

Heres two other sites worth looking at. They stock the helis, spares and upgrades. I'm looking at the CNC main hub and tail rotor coupled with an Air Wolf body shell. The aluminum case looks handy as well.

Nitrotek

Buzzflyer

Nige.

Good choice Nige - I've been reading up a lot on the Honeybee series and they have a very good reputation, definately on my shopping list.

Here is my current 'ride' :D

salvation.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So ... how does it fly Nige? what is the flying time on a charge ... I guess you need pretty calm conditions for best results?

I bought one of those Picho infrared indoor helicopters to pester the cat, she loves it, thinks its a bird :)

I might try something like that for outdoors some day.

Flys really well. I have upgraded to the CNC head and tail unit which makes it a lot more stable. The flight time is about 5-8 mins so spare batteries are a must. I'm not going back to the combustion engine type after this. Its just far less hassle. Charge the batteries and your good to go. No messing with glo plugs, starters, fuel leaking out the exhaust into the boot of your car. It's hassle free flying.

Yup ... I remember the hassle of the little screaming combustion engines and even the little so called diesel engines, made by PAW as I recall? I never got into RC when I did this as I was still at school and my pocket money only went so far, but enjoyed control line, anyone remember that ... do they still do it? I built and flew some free flight gliders as well.

• 4 months later...

:D I've been agonising over whether to get an RC car (Axial AX-10 Rock Crawler - £400) or a whirly bird of some kind, at 02:00 this morning I finally settled on a Esky Honey Bee CP2. Not quite as posh or as big as the HB King 2, but it's still a 6ch' copter and a bit cheaper too. Got a trainer kit also and am already looking forward to my first flight :pilot:

No, never ever flown an R/C helicopter before, but I did spend four years racing R/C buggies and circuit cars many moons ago. Took me about 5 min' to get used to running a Nitro buggie after about 17 years off... Can't wait and here's hoping I don't kill it on my first go :pray: Next weeks time off work is going to be Fun :D

• 3 weeks later...

Oo err... The company I ordered the CP2 from found a problem with it before shipping it out, it was the only one in stock but they offered an up-grade to the King II for £25 (normally £40 more). It should be arriving Monday or Tuesday (post dependant).

I've been using the simulator as much as possible and have just moved on to praticing nose-in hovering. Not worth posting any pics once it arrives, as it'll look just like Nige's.

Yup ... I remember the hassle of the little screaming combustion engines and even the little so called diesel engines, made by PAW as I recall? I never got into RC when I did this as I was still at school and my pocket money only went so far, but enjoyed control line, anyone remember that ... do they still do it? I built and flew some free flight gliders as well.

I tried control line..........once.

It was all going so well until something went wrong with my feet and then there was the inevitable count down of rotations untill the aircraft made contact with me at high speed :owww::owww: .

John.

• 2 weeks later...

After killing my first set of blades and the battery (charged it whilst it was warm, then ran it flat :doh: ) It's now up and running again. I've fitted the CNC head and tail units (£40 inc. p&p, e-bay), have 2 x 1200mah Li-Po batteries and have just finished fitting a battery monitor with built in power smoothing circuit. Hopefully this with help to stop me destroying more batteries, it gives an audible warning when the power runs low and has a visual power indicator.

HBK2.jpg

• 5 months later...