Tips for cutting and applying canopy masks

woody37

Hi guys,

My next project is a Revell Lanc. I m looking to add some aftermarket bits, in particular a VF canopy (any advice on a suitable one ?). I have the Falcon RAF set, but the cockpit is for the Airfix which is quite different in dimensions, but the front turret, nose blister and mid upper look as if they may fit.

Anyway, I want to mask the clear bits and wondering if someone would be willing to offer some tips on making this as accurate and pain free as possible ?

Thanks

Neil

You can always look on the aftermarket, it's nearly sure that there are some canopy mask for this kit.

Eduard, from hannants.

If you don't want to, it's still easy to do it by yourself.

You just need some tamiya tape, a knife with a new blade, and liquid mask, like maskol.

- Cut very thin stripe of masking tape (No more than 2mm wide)

- Apply them on the canopy, following the canopy frame. To make things easy, when the edges of the frames are round, you can help yourself with a scribing template.

- Fill the space between the stripes with maskol.

- Let it dry, and paint.

Just built one i usually use Tamiya tape, a sharp knife and lots of Patience, However there was so much to mask i got the eduard canopy mask set from Hannants, Great set, saved hours and hours,

Hi, I usually just use Maskol. As long as there is a pretty well defined frame on the canopy Maskol is really quick & easy to use on its own. I apply it with the end of a cocktail stick. Drop a medium sized blob into the centre of the glazing/window you want to mask and then, with the cocktail stick, gently push it towards the edges of the panel - towards the framing. You should find that surface tension pulls it into the frame without going over the edge of it. Work fairly quickly though because, as soon as it starts to dry, you will pull off what you have already put on! This is much easier than I've probably made it sound - give it a go. If you make a mistake, wait a few minutes for it to start going off and just remove it & try again. Admittedly, this works better on some canopies than others but I don't remember on I haven't been able to get it to work on yet. However, it's a good idea to wash the canopy in something to remove any grease first or you will find the Maskol doesn't want to go where you put it!

Hope this helps...

Dave

A quicker way of doing things if your canopy is reasonably free of sharp curves is to apply a piece of Tamiya tape to the pane(s), burnish it down and run a blunt cocktail stick round the egde of the frames. Then take Antoine's new blade and run it round the edges, removing the excess as you go. With that method you can mask a canopy in a few minutes, rather than the hours you sometimes hear quoted :)

Thanks for your replies guys. I have Maskol in my box and have used it in the past, although when dry, you can't see it and worry whether some has peeled off !

I like mikes idea as minutes does seem better than hours ! I guess doing individual strips is probably better on double radius surfaces such as the front turret.

Well by the time I finish the model, I will be more experienced ! I used to paint them freehand in the past, but eyesight (even with glasses on !) just aint what it used to be !!

Thanks

Neil

Ive had problems after dipping the canopy in future getting the tape to stay stuck down to the canopy. I cant use maskol so thats out of the window. I am trying to use Eduard masks as and when they are available for the kit. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

That's an odd one Ollie. You are using Tamiya tape, are you? Not a problem I've ever had, and every single one of my canopies have been Kleared :) I believe Vallejo masking fluid is acrylic friendly, but do check before using it, as I was told by an unreliable source. :S

Im not using tamiya masking tape, just the low tach stuff i can get from my local builders supply place. Its not that im worried about the liquid mask affecting the paintwork thats stopping me using it, its the fact kristy is severly allergic to latex and thats one of the major ingrediants.

Im not using tamiya masking tape, just the low tach stuff i can get from my local builders supply place. Its not that im worried about the liquid mask affecting the paintwork thats stopping me using it, its the fact kristy is severly allergic to latex and thats one of the major ingrediants.

I think I met Kirsty at SMW... I can understand that POV - don't want to make the girl ill. :S I'd give Tamiya tape a try - the builder's tape might just not have enough "stick" to adhere to the Klear.

I think I met Kirsty at SMW... I can understand that POV - don't want to make the girl ill. :S I'd give Tamiya tape a try - the builder's tape might just not have enough "stick" to adhere to the Klear.

She was the young lady who was with me in a wheelchair. I dont recall meeting you but then again i met alot of people so we might have crossed paths. I will try some Tamiya tape, cheers for the tip.