* Revell Ec-145 : FINISHED.

Gajman

The internet is an evil thing, or, I'm stupid, not sure which (well I am but let's leave an element of doubt :) ) This was supposed to be an OOB build, but then I went to the all seeing google thingie and entered ec145 and pressed the images button.

Some really good images have now been saved to disk and printed out and the plan that this is an OOB build has gone out the window!

The doors at the back have been cut out to be displayed open. This photo shows a 'before' and 'after' fuselage. Of course there is some cleaning up to be done.

hgb2.jpg

The pilots door and one sliding door have been cut out also to be displayed open.

hgb3.jpg

Of course what this does mean is that I have a load of scratchbuilding to do for the interior.

Mmmmm, defintely starting to doubt the wisdom of cutting all those doors so that they can be shown open. Spent a few hours today making the one cabin side panelling. Basically it's built up sheets of plastic card, with the windows cut out of them and then a fair amount of filing and scraping to get the correct shape.

The problem is that in order to get a decent fit of this I'm going to have to nake a number of pieces and then do a fair amount of filling and filing to get a smooth finish between these new scratchbuilt parts and the cabin roof and floor. That's all fine and well for one side when the two fuselage halves have not yet been joined, but does pose a problem for the other side as the roof and floor are sinle parts. So, to be able to do the required filling anf filing on bith cabin side I'm going to have to cut the roof and floor into two so that I can do all the filling and filing first. (And of course just hope like hell that the roof and floor go together without too much problem.

Here's the wall building in progress.

hgb4.jpg

The completed part.

hgb5.jpg

Here's the fuselage as per the kit.

hgb6.jpg

And then with the scratchbuilt part fitted (badly) to give an idea of what I'm aiming to achieve.

hgb7.jpg

Edited by Gajman

I've been doing some more measuring, cutting, pasting and filing of sheets of plastic to get the side done. I've added some colour to the parts so that they can be easily seen. The white is the kit parts. The grey plastic is the large cabin wall that featured in the post above. Th eyellow parts are extra plastic that fills in the gaps left by the grey part. The bottom yellow strip needs to be cut a little shorter.

The scratchbuilt parts are not permanently glued in yet which is why they're a little out of sync. When they are I will fill in any cracks and give it a coat of cream coloured paint. The interior that I'm building may not be an exact replica of the helicopter as per the markings supplied by Revell but it will be a pretty accurate representation of one helicopter out there (thanks to Google Images :) ).

I was worried that I would have a problem putting the scratchbuilt sides in when the fuselage halves were added. So, what I've decided to do is to glue all the kit parts in on the one fuselage half with PVA. Do my scratchbuilding around these parts and then glue them in with model glue. Remove the parts glued in with PVA and repeat the process on the other fuselage half. That should leave me with two fuselage halves that have the additional scratchbuilt panels glued in and it should, so the theory goes, have quite a nice fit when I glue all the parts together.

The helicopters windows balloon out from the fuselage and Revell have molded this nicely but it's one thick part. So I've scraped/filed the inside of the clear part so that it's thinner all over. I did this because when I was test fitting the parts I just felt that the magnifying effect of the solid part was distracting. Will anyone but me notice? Of course not :)

hgb8.jpg

Edited by Gajman

Nice progress, Gary.

You're making impressive headway and I'm sure the work will yield a much better model than something built purely out of the box. I'm keen to see how the thinning of the windows goes; it's something I'd certainly like to do for nearly all of my helos' clear parts.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Work has been progressing, quite a lot of it but with little to show just yet. Lots and lots of cutting of plastic sheet, glueing the pieces together and then hours of fitting, filing, fitting, filing ... you get the idea.

The windows have been holowed out a little as I described in the last posting. I'm happy with the result. It definitely gives a little more visibility of the interior.

The one side panel has been completed, the other side has been fitted, and as you'll see from the following photo, filling and filing is underway. I've scraped the paint around the edges to show the outline of the new part. The colour of the interior is not as dark as this, I just use this paint becase it's so thick that it's useful for filling in small gaps. I'll give it a final dusting with some 12thou sandpaper before putting the final paint on.

hgb10.jpg

The roof as provided with the kit leaves a gap of about 3mm between its sides and the edge of the fuselage so I've had to fill that in. The grey strip in the following photo is where that is in progress on the one side.

hgb9.jpg

And then, in preparation for the fitting together of all these pieces I have scraped down the edges of the roof where they will join the rear of the fuselage (I've done a clumsy drybrush here to hilite the work). On the real helicopter there is a gap between this ceiling part and the main fuselage into which the struts to which the doors are attached fit. So this part will form the bottom of the roof, and I have started making a part that will form the top part of the sandwhich (hopefully it'll all become clear in a few posts time).

hgb11.jpg

Edited by Gajman

I've reached the point where I,m about to glue the fuselage together. The side panels have been completed, the ceiling and floor painted. I added two thin strips of card to represent the strips which allow the bed to be anchored to the floor. All of the windows have been filed out on the inside. This won't make much difference for the parts that I've done, but I believe it will be noticeable on the pilots door that I will be modelling in the open position.

hgb12.jpg

hgb13.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Work has been proceeding. The fuselage is together.

hgb14.jpg

The cockpit parts need to be added before I can put the canopy on and do the first coat of paint. Some tidy up work is required on the parts put in as can be see from the following photo. That's the joy of using tweezers to place small parts into a confined space.

hgb15.jpg

I've added a load of detail to the seats. The seatbelts you see on the above photo are created using a technique described by someone on this forum (sorry, I've forgotten who it was, but if you're reading this, thank you). The other seat will be done properly as that is next to an open door. The seat above was used as a test bed. I added a cushion from old serviette, to the back of the seat I've added a bag from the sheets of paper that cover decal sheets in a kit.

I'm doing a bit of mix and matching. My search of the web for this helicopter revealed a number of photographs of different configurations for medivac helicopters, so I'm choosing those parts from each photo that appeal to me and adding them to this build.

• 2 weeks later...

It's starting to llok like a helicopter now. Paint and first few coats of varnish are on.

Still need to do the interior once the helicopter is complete, but the interior parts can be slid in through the open doors so am leaving those for later.

hgb20.jpg

hgb21.jpg

Edited by Gajman

• 2 weeks later...

Main body finished, decals on, started putting on all the fiddly bits. Because I forgot to fill in the holes where some of the optional handles go I decided to just glue all the handles on. I've started on the rear, crew and sliding doors which I cut out right at the start.

I really want to get this kit finished. Just out of curiosity I've had a sheet of paper on my model box and I log in and out when building this kit, I totalled up the figures the other day ... I've spent over 24 hours on this kit! Most of that on the interior, and trying to get the paint finish right (wasted time that as I haven't succeeded there).

Anyway, having spent so much time on it I'm now bored and just want it finished to clear space for the Ferrari I started a while back. So the plan is that this week I will rush through the doors and the rear interior. Hopefully having it complete by this time next Sunday.

hgb30.jpg