TSR 2 Airfix 1/48 Scale

Martian

I have been working on the fin today. To create the air intake I carved the interior of the intake into a block of 100 'thou plastic card. This was insrted into a section cut into the fin. Guess who cut too much away from the fin and then had to fill in the gap with more plastic card! Anyway having overcome this little fauz pas I carved, sanded and polished the intake to fit. The fin has now been glued to the fuselage. I have also had another go at showing the after burner ring which is now glued in the coeersct place in the exhaust. The ends of the exhausts will be painted and attached seperately at a later date.

Martin

101_0959.jpg

101_0960.jpg

101_0961.jpg

Tom, thanks for the welcome!!!! Let us hope I can do it justice.

Cheers for now

Regards

-Ian

No problem-this place is an absolute gold mine of information! Enjoy it-and I look forward to seeing your TSR.2! I'm going to end up (eventually) doing 5-all what ifs from the Xtradecal and Model Alliance sheets.

I decided to build the side scan radar today. I can't believe that I just spent over six hours putting thirty three pieces into an assembley just over an inch long. Perhaps Mrs Martin is right when she says I need my head testing. I think that some of the fine detailing might be a bit much for my camera so I'll get one of my friends who has super macro on her camera to do some for me when she is able.

Martin

101_0966.jpg

101_0971.jpg

Edited by martin hale

Sorry about the brief hiatus in posts guys but I have been feeling a bit under the weather the past few days. However, this evening I decided to tackle the transition between the fuselage and the wing which has been overdone by Airfix. On the real aircraft this fairs very subtley into the wing wheras Airfix have moulded it with a very sharp demarcation. An hour's brute force and ignorance with some wet and dry paper has improved this no end. This can be seen, or more correctly. not seen in the second picture where the demarcation line between the fuselage and the top of the wing has almost disappeared. A quick bit of re-scribing will soon sort out the lost panel lines.

Martin

101_0972.jpg

101_0973.jpg

Evening all! I had meant to post this ealier today but Photobucket wasn't working. Anyway, I have been worrying about the nose undercarriaqe for some time and decided that the best thing to do was to get stuck into it. As can be seen from the drawing trom the manual Airfix have seriously simplified the retration mechanism so I have been mostly working on this today. I also decided not to use the Eduard torque links as they are a little bit too two dimensional for my liking. This led to a session of drilling, carving and filing to refine the kit item. All this forced me to crack open a bottle of malt whisky. I knew this kit would drive me to drink eventually! :drink: Hopefully pictures will improve from now on as Mrs Martin says she likes doing them for me and she is a million miles better with the camera than I am Thanks for looking

Martin

scan0001.jpg

101_0981.jpg

101_0975.jpg

101_0974.jpg

A quick update. A friend says he has some new pictures of the undercarriage bays which he will pass on to me at the Yeovilton show so I have suspended work on the U/C until then. Having today off work and having been waffling about the Palouste starter bay since the start of this project I decided it was time to do something about this area. Accordingly I have spent the day adding structure to the bay and building the Palouste and it's mounting. There is still some detailing to do on the Palouste and I still have to make it's flexible air hose but I have got it to the point where I can temporarily mount it in the model, it will even sit in the extended or retracted position although I think I will still probably display it extended on the completed model.

Martin

101_0986.jpg

101_0985_00.jpg

Nice Work on the Marty Feldman Hump, Martin.

david

Sorry about the brief hiatus in posts guys but I have been feeling a bit under the weather the past few days. However, this evening I decided to tackle the transition between the fuselage and the wing which has been overdone by Airfix. On the real aircraft this fairs very subtley into the wing wheras Airfix have moulded it with a very sharp demarcation. An hour's brute force and ignorance with some wet and dry paper has improved this no end. This can be seen, or more correctly. not seen in the second picture where the demarcation line between the fuselage and the top of the wing has almost disappeared. A quick bit of re-scribing will soon sort out the lost panel lines.

Martin

101_0972.jpg

101_0973.jpg

Awfully sorry Martin but... it didn't have a Palouste (it was a Cumulus), and it wasn't mounted fore-aft. The door hinges at the front edge and the Cumulus is mounted on the door, intake on port side, exhaust on starboard.

That explains why the drawing I got from the National Archive has some significant differences from the Palouste. Presumably what I have modelled is a Cumulus as I have been working from the drawing and wondering why the intake area is so completely different to the pictures of the Paloustes I have. The drawing has been annotated "Palouste" with inverted commas. Do you have a picture of the mounting as the drawing shows the thing mounted fore and aft and attached to both an arm and a portside door? It would be nice to clarify matters before I glue parts irrevocably in place.

Martin

That explains why the drawing I got from the National Archive has some significant differences from the Palouste. Presumably what I have modelled is a Cumulus as I have been working from the drawing and wondering why the intake area is so completely different to the pictures of the Paloustes I have. The drawing has been annotated "Palouste" with inverted commas. Do you have a picture of the mounting as the drawing shows the thing mounted fore and aft and attached to both an arm and a portside door? It would be nice to clarify matters before I glue parts irrevocably in place.

Best I can do I'm afraid...

cumulus.jpg

Thanks for that Damian at least I havn't wasted my time on the starter unit. Trouble is my drawings show this....... sorry about the quality of the scan but the drawing is enormous and I had the Devil's own job to get the thing under the scanner. It seems we both have official drawings showing different layouts for the starter unit. Which is correct? Its no trouble to re-align the thing but I want to get it right.

Martin

scan0001-3.jpg

scan0002-1.jpg

Edited by martin hale

Fore/aft was unacceptable orientation due to exhaust making it impossible to work in weapons bay with APU running, so was changed to left/right quite quickly - mid 1960 - and Palouste replaced by smaller, lighter Cumulus in August 1960. See AIR 2/15682. Your drawing is October 1959 I would guess.

Afraid the drawings you have don't bear much relation to the appearance of the Cumulus. Might have an illustration somewhere, hang on...

cumulus2.jpg

...there!

Edited by DamienB

Fore/aft was unacceptable orientation due to exhaust making it impossible to work in weapons bay with APU running, so was changed to left/right quite quickly - mid 1960 - and Palouste replaced by smaller, lighter Cumulus in August 1960. See AIR 2/15682. Your drawing is October 1959 I would guess.

Afraid the drawings you have don't bear much relation to the appearance of the Cumulus. Might have an illustration somewhere, hang on...

cumulus2.jpg

...there!

Thanks for that I can get it changed now can you try the image again though as it isn't comming up.

Martin

Working fine here...?

Its come up fine now thanks. Looks like I can easily adapt what I have built already. Presumably the entry point for the high pressure air to the airframe did not change with the alteration to the layout of the starter unit? Thanks for pointing this out before things went too far.

Martin

Right then chaps thanks to Damien I have constructed a door to mount the starter unit on and removed the old mounting from the bay. I shall make a few changes to the starter unit to make it look more like the Cumulus. It should serve for this scale. All I have to do now is to find out what the engine accessories looked like. I have a bit to go on but could do with a bit more.

Martin

101_0988.jpg

101_0987.jpg

Edited by martin hale

Mrs Martin is away this weekend so I can model until I drop. I have spent this morning finishing off the airframe structure in the engine accessories bay and will hopefully have another post to add this evening. Got to keep the TSR 2 fixes going especially as the General seems to have gone AWOL on the Helicopter Group build. Actually what does one do with AWOL Generals?

Martin

101_0991.jpg

101_0989.jpg

101_0990.jpg

As promised an update this evening. I decided to start sorting out the rear bulkheads for the cockpits. This is quite a complex area and will be very visible on the completed model. The tubing/ seals on the bulkheads which I had been worrying about for some time were, to my surprise a breeze. To get the tube that passes trough the rear of the ejector seat rails (it is part of the mechanism for opening the canopy) and the rails into place at the same time whilst also making sure that the seat would still slide into place was a pig of a job and definitely one time when I could have used an extra pair of hands :deadhorse::wall: . Still I can now look forward to repeating the excersise in the rear cockpit; deep joy! :suicide:

Thanks for looking in

Martin

101_0992.jpg

Only one update today guys as this thing has really given me a head ache. The nature of todays problem was how to get the effect of little Cars' excellent lenses, which are convex and still retain the flat faces of the very prominent landing lights? The solution I came up with worked as follows:

Step 1. Drill out the centres of the kit part ant paint the interior of the holes black to prevent refraction.

101_0994.jpg

Step 2. Glue a lens to each of couple of pieces of sprue sanded to fit the previously drilled holes in the kit part.

101_0996.jpg

Step 3. Punch out a couple of discs of clear plastic and cement to the front of the landing lights. Now dunk the assembly in Klear.

101_0995.jpg

Step 4. When dry insert the pieces of sprue with the lenses attached into the holes at the rear of the light housings, secure with superglue and clip off excess sprue.

101_0998.jpg

Step 5. sand the rear of the light housings to restore the original kit shape, Mask off lenses and paint the whole assembly back.

101_1000.jpg

Step 6. Glue completed assembly to the main wheel leg. Yes I know I'm going to have to repaint it later on but after the trouble I have been to today there is no way the Carpet Monster is having this one for tea!

101_1001.jpg

Well there you have it for today,The lights sparkle far more than they show in the photos and I think it will be more than worth the effort on the completed model. For now though my head is completely done in and I'm off to lie down in a dark room with a large tot of whiskey! :wall: Although I'm feeling pretty pleased with the result of today's labours, I'm sure that the God of smug is just waiting to smite me tomorrow! :bangin:

Thanks for looking

Martin

Fabulous work Martin, I used some fake plastic diamonds from a cats collar for my 1/72 version undercarriage lights. All of the little touches you uare doing will pay huge dividends on the finished model, can't wait to see more !