Build a kit in a week!

Nev

Yesterday was the start of the ever popular annual 1 Week Group Build over on the What If? forums. Actually, its more like 10 days so you get 2 weekends in, but anyway. Always popular and you'd be surprised at how many are finished (and their quality too).

So here is my entry, another Airfix Hawk. Cockpit thrown together last night.

IP11-1.jpg

Like a moron, I also decided to increase the difficulty and perform plastic surgery to drop the flaps..

IP10-1.jpg

Edited by Nev

Brave man... how come you cut off the wingtips too?

Not having seen the kit cockpit built up before, it doesn't look too bad, does it? ;)

a week to build a kit- it takes you 6 months to post a box :tease::kissing2:

I wonder if Dazinio ever got the Buffalo...?

Brave man... how come you cut off the wingtips too?

Not having seen the kit cockpit built up before, it doesn't look too bad, does it? ;)

Wingtips are cut off to put on the Hawk 100 tips to carry 'winders (or in this case Japanese AAM-3s)

The cockpit is....OK (for a tenner). If I was building a real one I would invest in something like the Neomega set, a lot can be seen through that big canopy.

a week to build a kit- it takes you 6 months to post a box :tease::kissing2:

I wonder if Dazinio ever got the Buffalo...?

Buffalo?

I will ask Caz to post your model kit next week... I promise... lerrit go lad! :chair:

Wingtips are cut off to put on the Hawk 100 tips to carry 'winders (or in this case Japanese AAM-3s)

The cockpit is....OK (for a tenner). If I was building a real one I would invest in something like the Neomega set, a lot can be seen through that big canopy.

Yeah, the Neomega looks busier than the CMK item... I'd do the same if I was building another one. the 100 conversion - is that what the instructions tell you to do, or is this a conversion or an AM item you're adding?

Just to show what can be done, here are the winners from the last 2 years (neither of them mine)

done8crop.jpg

final2.jpg

the 100 conversion - is that what the instructions tell you to do, or is this a conversion or an AM item you're adding?

Yep, that's the instructions. There is a small groove on the inner wing as a guide, a bit like their Mosquito NF30.

Buffalo?

I will ask Caz to post your model kit next week... I promise... lerrit go lad! :chair:

Yeah, the Neomega looks busier than the CMK item... I'd do the same if I was building another one. the 100 conversion - is that what the instructions tell you to do, or is this a conversion or an AM item you're adding?

Just winding you up- :wicked:

Just winding you up- :wicked:

I know mate... I will put something almost unique in the box when I send it. You'll be the talk of the town when it arrives! :wicked:

I know mate... I will put something almost unique in the box when I send it. You'll be the talk of the town when it arrives! :wicked:

I believe it is already too late for that Mike :pilot:

Like a complete muppet, I lost one of my wing fences to the carpet monster, so I scratched a new one using some cut-away piece of wing and the surviving wing fence as a template. Didn't turn out too bad in the end

IP14-1.jpg

Music to model by

IP15-1.jpg

Main contruction proceeding apace...

IP16.jpg

Edited by Nev

Main construction complete - regretting my decision to drop the flaps. Spent most of last night trying to get that assembly sorted out (not helped by Airfix's wrong instructions and parts that don't fit :banghead: )

Need to get all the PSR done tonight if I'm to stay on schedule...

IP18.jpg

IP17.jpg

Edited by Nev

Well, I can do it in a week because I'm not adding all your amazing scratchbuilt detail (not that I have the talent to do that anyway)

Anyway, PSR is now complete and painting can begin - using my brand new Iwata airbrush.......

So I applied a coat of light grey....no, honest, I did!

IP19.jpg

Here endeth the first lesson in using my airbrush - don't overthin the paint :banghead:

Ah well, try again tonight.....

IP20.jpg

Edited by Nev

I've been looking for an excuse to do another Hawk, and this 100 looks like it's sufficiently different from the T1 I did to warrant the expenditure. :wicked:

I would want to do my usual foolishness & replace the pit & wheel wells, so I'll have to get out there & have a look what's available. :)

Jay - yeah, but you're a full time proffesional modeller! :P

Having said that, I am on my 9 day break at the moment, but break is used in the technical sense only. More like "not at work for 9 days so looking after little 'un while missus is at work and doing a list of DIY chores she gives me" <_<

Mike - I'm really enjoying this kit. It certainly needs a bit of work even to get it to my average standard, but with some real effort a cracking kit can be made. Certainly when I've completed my line-up of Japanese birds I want to do an RAF bird or 2. The kit really captures the sleek yet pugnacious look of the real thing.

The model has already made several high speed passes over the workbench (complete with jet noises), always a good sign! :D

The model has already made several high speed passes over the workbench (complete with jet noises), always a good sign! :D

:rofl: it is the ONLY way to check it's properly assembled ;)

You know when you can feel a project slipping away from you, and the model in front of you no longer looks like how it did in your head? I'm reaching that point right now :(

Torn between which scheme to go for. Neither look right to me.

IP22.jpg

IP21.jpg

Apologies for the white-out effect on the pics, not sure what happened there. The camo schemes are still a bit rough right now as I try to decide which to do. To be honest I'm tempted to take a rattle can to the model and be done with it. I've only got 2 evenings left to finish her. Maybe choosing a model with dodgy fit, 4 colour camo and then dropping the flaps was a bad idea? I swear, next year I'm doing a 1/72 tank!

Top one with the dark grey is best Nev. If I was you, I'd smooth-out the curves a bit on the dark green patch on the left wing and also on the dark green that extends out from the inlet/fuselage onto the right wing. Add a bit of grey to the left wing (inboard of the dark green, but that's me :) ) and you're good to go :thumbsup2:

Other than that :goodjob:

:viking: