• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daz greenwood

daz greenwood

THE LAND OF THE GYPSY TART :)

• Frozen
  • 7,844 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

Guys as you know I want to build a series of Grumman Wildcats to start off my theme of Grumman cats and I would like to know the colours please.

I've tried Don Color, but they show one in overall light grey, but I've seen some with like a blue-grey applied over the top of this, but I would like to know the correct shades please.

Edited by daz greenwood, 24 November 2009 - 09:03 PM.

#2 JosephLalor

JosephLalor

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:27 PM

Hi Daz,

I think the Don Color chart is describing a scheme consisting of overall Non-Specular Light Gray. The later scheme you're describing is the combination of M-495 colours, Non-Specular Light Grey undersurfaces and Non-Specular Blue-Gray upper surfaces, which would have been in use by the time of the Battle of Midway. I gather that neither of these colours has known FS equivalents, but Light Gray is often quoted as being near FS36440 and Blue-Gray as FS35189. You'll find them in the Xtracolor and Colourcoats ranges and (I think) in the Xtracrylix range as well.

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor, 24 November 2009 - 10:27 PM.

#3 Matt Roberts

Matt Roberts

Very Obsessed Member

• Sadly Missed
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:11 AM

Just remember Daz, the Blue Gray - is a blue gray, and not intermediate blue (ala mid-war schemes). Perhaps mix the intermediate blue and the gray if you cannot find it.

As Joseph mentioned the light gray is pretty darn close to light gull gray

Matt

#4 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:28 AM

Don't believe references that will try to tell you that USN NS Blue Gray is the same color (usually referenced to a completely irrelevant FS595 number) as RAF PRU Blue. It isn't, wasn't, and never will be the same colo(u)r.

J

#5 Fernando

Fernando

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

Guys as you know I want to build a series of Grumman Wildcats to start off my theme of Grumman cats and I would like to know the colours please.

I've tried Don Color, but they show one in overall light grey, but I've seen some with like a blue-grey applied over the top of this, but I would like to know the correct shades please.

If you are looking at one with a rather funny upper-lower color demarcation in the nose, you are looking at one of those Marine Corps F4Fs which fought at Wake Island. VMF-211, they painted the Blue-Gray en route and it is said they put a tarp to prevent overspraying the engine... the tarp covered the upper lip of the cowling, creating a distinct shape. Consider they lack the upper lip carburettor intake.
Fernando

#6 John @ WEM

John @ WEM

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

Hi Daz,

We have both colours accurately matched and available in our Colourcoats enamels, items ACUS 05 and ACUS 06. You'll find them here:

http://www.whiteensi...C_USAF_127.html