This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

daz greenwood

Early WW2 USN F4F colours

6 posts in this topic

Guys as you know I want to build a series of Grumman Wildcats to start off my theme of Grumman cats and I would like to know the colours please.

I've tried Don Color, but they show one in overall light grey, but I've seen some with like a blue-grey applied over the top of this, but I would like to know the correct shades please.

Edited by daz greenwood

Hi Daz,

I think the Don Color chart is describing a scheme consisting of overall Non-Specular Light Gray. The later scheme you're describing is the combination of M-495 colours, Non-Specular Light Grey undersurfaces and Non-Specular Blue-Gray upper surfaces, which would have been in use by the time of the Battle of Midway. I gather that neither of these colours has known FS equivalents, but Light Gray is often quoted as being near FS36440 and Blue-Gray as FS35189. You'll find them in the Xtracolor and Colourcoats ranges and (I think) in the Xtracrylix range as well.

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor

Just remember Daz, the Blue Gray - is a blue gray, and not intermediate blue (ala mid-war schemes). Perhaps mix the intermediate blue and the gray if you cannot find it.

As Joseph mentioned the light gray is pretty darn close to light gull gray

Matt

Don't believe references that will try to tell you that USN NS Blue Gray is the same color (usually referenced to a completely irrelevant FS595 number) as RAF PRU Blue. It isn't, wasn't, and never will be the same colo(u)r.

J

Guys as you know I want to build a series of Grumman Wildcats to start off my theme of Grumman cats and I would like to know the colours please.

I've tried Don Color, but they show one in overall light grey, but I've seen some with like a blue-grey applied over the top of this, but I would like to know the correct shades please.

If you are looking at one with a rather funny upper-lower color demarcation in the nose, you are looking at one of those Marine Corps F4Fs which fought at Wake Island. VMF-211, they painted the Blue-Gray en route and it is said they put a tarp to prevent overspraying the engine... the tarp covered the upper lip of the cowling, creating a distinct shape. Consider they lack the upper lip carburettor intake.

Fernando