A few from the Mach Loop - End of October

James V

I LOVE!!!!...the Mudhens...but as they say variety is the spice of life....a harrier here, tornado there....makes it all the better........Thanks for the pix mate...

GREAT shots!!!!

Just one question for us non British types. What's claggy?

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

SLAVE

A term to discribe low cloud/mist, quite a common problem around the hills and valleys in this country.

A typical example around the "Loop" area is some times the coast line 10miles away maybe clear of weather, while when you move 10 miles inland low cloud/mist covers the higher ground and hills.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Paul,

Give me a shout if you want, I can give you a few hints

I think a team trip is in order!!

Houston,

Glad you got the pics, Sorry I have not had time to reply to your mail but I will do soon

Done and received ....A BIG THANK YOU..

Slave, got your PM as well, i'll sort some pics out soon

GREAT shots!!!!

I'll be sending my email for those as well. Just one question for us non British types. What's claggy?

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

SLAVE

At first I thought you were Phoenixflyer2008 on the flickr website until I saw your link.

Definitely better and crisper shots. Absolutely awesome shot of the F15 top side with vapor over the wings.

I live in Bury st Edmunds and often hear them taking off in the mornings - loudest things for miles around here.

I saw one over fly the town (northwards to Lakenheath) last thursday evening about 19:15, well I guess it was an F-15 due to the noise and the nav light at the back or was that its afterburner. At the same time a C-130 was low flying into finals into Mildenhall. It was rather busy that evening!

Superb pics and will take a look on Flickr

regards

Martin

How do you find about these passes? do they pass on specific days? Even though i live hundreds of miles away... im still curious! for a start i know that its not easy to get up there.

It's completly pot luck what you we will see, and that's one of the apeals of the hobby.

The weather has a lot to do with what will be out and about. I have left home in clear skys only to drive to the Loop and find the place is shrouded in low cloud and low viz, killing all chance of traffic.

The weather can change very fast in and around the hills.

Hawks are very common and are around most days. But sometimes it can be a good clear day at the Loop but cross winds at RAF Valley can ground the aircraft. Also if Valley is night flying, very few Hawks will be seen during the day.

If you have scanner and are out early enough, you can listen to the Valley Weather check Hawk, which every morning flys all over Wales and reports back to base the weather around the low fly area. It very dishearting to hear the pilot report-"Failed to enter low level,North plains and Loop area is unfit for low fly at present, heading south at Med level".

Some times the Loop is very busy and other days a complete dead loss.

The is no pattern or reason to predict how busy the area will be, I've been there on days when large exercises are planned for LFA7 and not seen a single front line aircraft.

Its a case of going out and just trying your luck!

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun