Zapping other air forces aircraft

justplanecrazy

I know its become a world wide phenomenon in the post war era but does anyone know its origins? I find it facinating.

Nick

Edited by justplanecrazy

I know its become a world wide phenomenon in the post war era but does anyonee know its origins? I find it facinating.

Nick

It was quite common for inter Sqn rivalty in the 60s, and I was personally resonsible for artwork on G91;s and Mirages later on. I do have photos but I can't post at the moment as my main computer is in dock.

John

I know its become a world wide phenomenon in the post war era but does anyonee know its origins? I find it fascinating.

Nick

Nick I suspect it goes back to the origins of the RAF, let alone RFC, have you never heard of the rivalries between all the squadrons..? Let alone Air Forces..

You know the whole thing about the first 'real' squadron, 1 Sqn only flying balloons, hence 'Shiny Two' being the first real, (heavier than air), squadron, closely followed by 3 Sqn and all the others.... The choice of Sqn symbols, the links they have with all sorts of families/areas/tasks, let alone what number they have..... Why after all has the RAF reduced it's strength, and still 617 Sqn still survived? After all it is a 'young' squadron...? Sorry 617...

I suspect it only really came to prominence after WWII, when a lot of squadrons disappeared, and the ability to physically paint symbols on other squadrons aircraft became the norm. Lately it is all too easy to produce 'stickers' of a squadron emblem, hence the recent examples printed of the Typhoon getting 'zapped'...

Goodness, you have to see various station messes and bars, stickers are all too easy to apply.... and every squadron and course has there own. It is a fact of life in the services.

Numerous dining in nights over the years have produced some 'spectacular' inter squadrons zaps/events.... Some have resulted in some spectacular results, even to the extent of court martial's... I know of a few of those, and no I am not going to tell. But the 2 Sqn Trabant is well documented, the Coltishall Jaguar squadrons have had there moments.... and in RAFG...... Well, enough said.

International ones, well the Argentinian Hercules taking off, not that long after the Falklands war, from Mexico, with a Union Jack painted on the belly springs to mind...

Fascinating subject, it deserves a book, all the best researching it... When you write the book I will buy it.

Colin

Or the :wicked: puma with the giant c*ck and b*lls on the bottom or the 33 Sqn display one that had Fly 230 on the bottom on it's first display

or the Vulcan sporting Kiwi roundels.... to name a couple

RAF Laarbruch, circa 1984.

9 sqn visited with 15 sqn. In a locked HAS a 15 sqn Tornado was found the next morning with a large black bat painted on it's belly.

A couple mornings later all the 9 sqn Tonka's were found to have XV on their fins.

Trouble was, someone had used car paint so it had to be removed the hard way.

Someone got deep in the Doodoo for that!

Pete

Whilst a Policeman at RAF Lossie in the 80's, I guarded a Queens Flight aircraft, I noticed that at a previous station someone

had zapped the QF badge with another version that is too rude to mention here.

It was well done and not noticable untill you get close up.

I've got a photo of it somewhere and if that aircraft is still flying no doubt so is the rather naughty zap.

Great replies guys, maybe we could set up a thread of photos somewhere?

Edited by justplanecrazy

seen some cool zaps in my time but no pics i'm afraid. one good one that comes to mind was a Navy Merlin wearing full 28 sqn markings whilst sat in depth. also, the fuel filler points on Hercs are a good place for them. the filler lives behind an access panel, the inside edge of which is inevitably covered in zaps from anywhere you care to mention.

zapping was also covered well in this thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...459&hl=zaps

Edited by paul_c

A couple of thoughts here.

I saw in an old Airfix Magazine (?) a picture of a rear three quarters port side shot of a 43 Sqn Hunter possibly in West Germany zapped with a maple leaf on its roundel. The caption suggested that this was the first recorded 'zap'

However, there was a rumour that as HMS Hermes sailed to the South Atlantic in 1982, underneath the name on the stern was painted the slogan "The Empire Strikes Back". A friend who was posted on her at the time wouldn't confirm this one way or the other. I'm still none the wiser, but hope it was true!

MH

Edited by Max Headroom

I think zapping goes way back....I`ve seen a photo of an 87 Sqn Gladiator...circa 1938-39 which had a large 601 Sqn winged sword badge applied to one side of its fin and a large popeye character on the other!!! Result of a weekend stay in London maybe and quite a shock on Monday morning when arriving ready to fly back to home base...by which time the Auxilliaries had all gone after their weekends fun!!

All the best

Tony O

I saw in an old Airfix Magazine (?) a picture of a rear three quarters port side shot of a 43 Sqn Hunter possibly in West Germany zapped with a maple leaf on its roundel. The caption suggested that this was the first recorded 'zap'

This was a 3 Sqn Hunter F4 XF976 that ended up at Geilenkirchen and was 'redecorated' by 441 Sqn RCAF. There's a picture of it in SAM Vol2 issue 4 but I found this as well in a thread on the modelersunderground forum linky:

hunter1.JPG

See my posts and photos in Chat under "Zapping"

John

Copied across

Here's one I did earlier. It's a 3rd Aerobrigata G.91 at Treviso St Angelo c1973.

John

1SqnG91.jpg

Which resulted in this.

HarrierinIAFmarkings.jpg

Later I did this on a Mirage IIIe.

Transparency0045.jpg

Which led to this.....

Transparency0047.jpg

Edited by John Aero

• 4 weeks later...

Hey i was wondering if anyone knows whether a nimrod mr.2 was ever zapped? And if so, could i get a decal for the 1/72nd airfix nimrod? Wishful thinking, i know! I just find the topic really interesting!

Hey i was wondering if anyone knows whether a nimrod mr.2 was ever zapped? And if so, could i get a decal for the 1/72nd airfix nimrod? Wishful thinking, i know! I just find the topic really interesting!

Yes, several - they are covered in the various Model Alliance sheets

Whilst in Oman with 7 Sqn someone managed to zap the fin of one of the anniversary Nimrods by painting 7 gold stars on it, but I can't remember which one. Whilst on that point, when on 51 Sqn XW664 got zapped by 7 Sqn on the nose wheel mud guard. I think the RAF copper that was meant to be guarding it that night had a one way conversation with his boss, after our WO saw it.

Whilst in Oman with 7 Sqn someone managed to zap the fin of one of the anniversary Nimrods by painting 7 gold stars on it, but I can't remember which one. Whilst on that point, when on 51 Sqn XW664 got zapped by 7 Sqn on the nose wheel mud guard. I think the RAF copper that was meant to be guarding it that night had a one way conversation with his boss, after our WO saw it.

Thanks for all this guys this is really useful stuff your providing me with-lets me add a bit of colour to a rather bland nimrod paint scheme!