Eduard Mig-21 release Autumn 2008

Matt Roberts

MiG-21 seems an odd choice for a new tooling to me, given the Academy kit is actually pretty good IMHO, and a MiG-21 series is definitely not a sure-fire money spinner in the same way that say, an F-4 series would be. Their 'MF' boxing is actually closer to a Bis anyway, which makes me wonder - is it gonna be a new tooling, or the Academy kit reboxed with lots of resin and photo etched goodies?

Hello Volvo

Eduard in various newsletters has been specifing that it would be new tooling.

Now, for a the reason behind it and being an addicted Migophile, I'd say that the academy kits are having serious shape issues, espec in the nose section;

that is the point of the neat-picking deadpan MiG lover, but indeed, Academy kits do build to make good looking MiG and if you're not into the above mentionned neat-pick, they're just your deal. just have a look to Phil Flory builds here and there and you"ll see it.

Now, MiG family is extensive, had seen operationnal action and almost every part of the world and can be depicted in a variety of exotic/esoteric markings.

In the same idea, why then did Eduard do a new tooling Fw-190, when the Tamiya and other offering were at hand ? As well Hasegawa F-4 are quite good but quite a pain in the a** to build, so I'll be client for a new tooling, too.

cheers

Stef (#6)

MiG-21 seems an odd choice for a new tooling to me, given the Academy kit is actually pretty good IMHO, ... Their 'MF' boxing is actually closer to a Bis anyway ...

And I assumed that Eduard would be releasing an accurate MF first, given that the Czechoslovak AF used the MF predominantly, and the Academy MF was a Bis. I've tried to build an MF with the Academy kit plus the CMK conversion kit, it was a model that fought back all the way and ended up in the bin at Mach 2 accompanied by a rude word or three. :wall:

Edited by MikeC

I can't see Eduard simply taking the Academy kit and adding bits a and pieces when they are a company in a country that used MiG-21s extensively for many years, produced a great many of them and in several major variants. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot doing anything less than a new tooling that will set a new standard for kits of the type.

Personally, I'm most looking forward to seeing kits of the early Fishbeds in 1/48 and I hope Eduard will include those in its series. I'd also like to see them do an R version with a nice range of camera pods, my understanding is that several of the countries that operated the R version used domestically developed recce pods, I think Egypt did so.

I can't see Eduard simply taking the Academy kit and adding bits a and pieces when they are a company in a country that used MiG-21s extensively for many years, produced a great many of them and in several major variants. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot doing anything less than a new tooling that will set a new standard for kits of the type.

Personally, I'm most looking forward to seeing kits of the early Fishbeds in 1/48 and I hope Eduard will include those in its series. I'd also like to see them do an R version with a nice range of camera pods, my understanding is that several of the countries that operated the R version used domestically developed recce pods, I think Egypt did so.

Second that! :thumbsup:

As far as the early versions, I completely agree, the F and PF are IMHO the most attractive of the series and as mentioned carried a huge array of national markings and camouflage patterns. Dont take-up too much shelf room either !

Ian