Hunter drop tanks, a question

Guest Drewe

Can someone confirm that the large (230 gallon?) tanks as seen on FGA.9's are the same diameter as the small 100 gallon ones? Indeed, I think they are the same design with just a constant diameter section added to increase the capacity. Any dimensions for the length of the stretch/overall length of the big tanks welcome. Looking to split some Revell 100 gallon ones for a Rhodesian FGA.9 I just started.

Just had a look through my Hunter Aeroguide and there are pics of a/c fitted with both 100 & 230 Gallon tanks, and they do look similar in diameter, but that is not backed up with any stats. Remember the 230 tanks had sway braces fitted, and the flaps were "doctored" to accomodate the larger tanks.

One very interesting point re early F1/F2 Hunters - nothing to do with Drewe's questions, and I quote....

"The minimal fuel supply of the F.1 and F.2 was really the worst problem, since they had a flight endurance of an hour at most. 37 F.1s and 5 F.2s were lost in accidents, and simply running out of fuel was one of the main contributors to the high accident rate. Six F.1s were lost in this way in a single incident on 8 February 1956 when a flight of eight Hunters was forced to divert to a different airfield due to bad weather. Four pilots ejected safely; one managed to dead-stick his Hunter back down; the sixth wasn't quite so lucky and went into the ground with his machine. Two of the eight Hunters did manage to land safely, though one ran out of fuel while taxiing"

Wow!

Edited by Gary West

Although I don't have any drawings to hand the 230 Gal tanks were of a slightly larger diameter and also had a recess on the upper surface where the pylon fitted.

Sure I have some scale drawings somewhere, I'll post something up as soon as I find it.

Yes it does. I, however, don't!

I do!! If I send you one - could you copy it - a few times?????

EDIT: as for size - the 230 gall tanks most certainly had a larger diameter - this is borne out in Revell's 1/32nd scale FGA9....

Edited by Bill Clark

EDIT: as for size - the 230 gall tanks most certainly had a larger diameter - this is borne out in Revell's 1/32nd scale FGA9....

Bill - if Drewe can't copy them, I will. I've got plenty of resin & RTV lying around...

If you send me a pair I can produce copies twice as quick!

Two to me, two to you. . . .we could have more drop tanks than the RAF in 48 hours!

:lol: Nah... I'm incredibly unreliable! Plus - RTV takes 24 hours to set up properly, and the Royal mail SURELY wouldn't be able to get it there in 24 hours... :unsure:

Off topic slightly, I have a feeling that the redundant 230 gallon tanks were used to make up the Shars 190 tanks. I have a few pictures of Hunter T 8M's carrying the 230 tanks along side FRS 1's carrying the 190 tanks and they seem to be of a similar circumference. Any ideas ?

Tez