Can you tell what it is yet?

dambuster

Partially disected Nimrod....

What sort of Frankensteinish surgery is one performing, pray tell....!!

Keef

Keith

I agree, I reckon Peter is trying to back peddle a Nimrod into a Comet 4C or failing that into one of 51 Sqns Comet R1's.

Anyone else?

Bexy

I'm with Bex :)

Iain

Me too! Now that I've realised what forum it's posted in....!! :whistle::lol:

Keef

And everyone thinks I only know about Canberras :rofl: Unless Peter has a totally whacky idea, Im convinced that is his plan, as an AEW has a conversion kit and wouldnt be in the Classic civil, so that only leaves a back peddled 4C or a at a push an R1 which obviously was a Comet with a few extra pointy bits. I cant think of any other option for chopping a Nimrod into bits :shrug:

Bexy

And the winner is........

Bexy

(Limited) progress so far - I feel that the hard work is just about to begin. Using the weapons bay as the main fuselage floor, need to insert 1" into the fuselage, mocked up the nose and need to fill and shape (not helped by the position and shape of the Nimrod glazing), and cut out the engine doors on the lower wing (I shall leave he upper surfaces as they look OK-ish). Have a plan for reconstructing the slimmer engine nacelles, and also discovered that the Airfix 1/48 PR9 bomb bay is almost exactly the right diameter for the fuselage and should assist with filling the gap at the rear of the fuselage where he weapons panier has been removed. Need to work out how to tackle the end of the fuselage where the MAD boom has been remved - looking for a suitable missile/bomb. And don't even start thinking about markings yet!

IMGP3949.jpg

IMGP3950.jpg

IMGP3951.jpg

This whole project may yet turn out to be a non-finisher.....

Peter

This is interesting!!!!!!!

Would the 1/72 scale drawings from the Airwaves kit be of any use to you Peter?

I can send a copy to the Court of the Crimson King if you wish, as long as you are going to finish this one in BEA red square colours.

Loads of info on the Comets if I can help.

Regards.

Chris.

Incredible project, way beyond my skills, I await anxiosly your progress pics ....

:ditto:

I thought I was a loony Peter, but this beats me hands down :yikes::mental: Looking very good so far and Ive got plenty of :popcorn: for this one :eat:

Bexy

Hi Chris,

Those drawings would be really good - at the moment I am working from some 1/120 plans I found on the web and a scaled up plan for the prototype. However can't promise to finish in BEA colours as I have a vague aspiration to do Dan-Air - my significant other once worked on them looking afer the safety of the travelling public.

Thanks to all for the encouragement.

Peter

This is interesting!!!!!!!

Would the 1/72 scale drawings from the Airwaves kit be of any use to you Peter?

I can send a copy to the Court of the Crimson King if you wish, as long as you are going to finish this one in BEA red square colours.

Loads of info on the Comets if I can help.

Regards.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Those drawings would be really good - at the moment I am working from some 1/120 plans I found on the web and a scaled up plan for the prototype. However can't promise to finish in BEA colours as I have a vague aspiration to do Dan-Air - my significant other once worked on them looking afer the safety of the travelling public.

Thanks to all for the encouragement.

Peter

Well if you are doing the Dan-Air scheme you can go and take a running jump!!!!!!!!!!!! :tease:

I wanted to do that one. Probably about 2025 at my current build rate.

Seriously though, I'll get them sorted for you.

Chris.

Well if you are doing the Dan-Air scheme you can go and take a running jump!!!!!!!!!!!! :tease:

I wanted to do that one. Probably about 2025 at my current build rate.

Seriously though, I'll get them sorted for you.

Chris.

Bout time you get some piccies on here mate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm holding you accountable !!

Has no one seen Peter's 'Wanted' thread?

I am providing Peter with some items to assist with this project! (I think?)

So keep looking folks like me.

(he will get his bits this week BTW)

Adrian

Edited by atdb27